how many 00 pellets must strike the vitals?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by dedron, May 10, 2014.

1. NYresq

NYresq

A single pellet strikes the pelvis, the subject is going to drop, strikes the spine, going to drop, strikes (and penetrates) the skull, going to drop.... Any of those will drop him like a sack of bricks but may or may not be fatal, and may or may not stop them from fighting.

I have seen people with a clean 9mm hole through the bottom of their left ventrical in their heart go on fighting for 2 minutes like nothing happened, only to bleed out and die a minute later.

Shots that contact the spinal cord, or the brain stem are the only true "will always stop the attack" kind of shots, but the target is fractions of an inch wide. Shots to the subframe (the pelvis) will normally drop the person, but they may not stop fighting or shooting.

A single pellet from a #4 shot could sever the spine and cancle the party, but the chances are slim, the target is small and the risk of them continuing to fight is too great to hope for that.

2. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Buffering is right about the flight control. My 870 with a MOD choke puts all 9 pellets on an IPSC target at 25 yds. More than 5 per round at 50.

Last edited: May 12, 2014

3. aippi

aippi

Ignorant? There are people here answering questions who have been using these weapons in the line duty or for hunting for more years then maybe you have been alive and have more knowledge of this subject then you can amass in the rest of your days.

In the early 80's I stood over the body of a convict shot off the fence at the North Florida Reception Center in Lake Buttler Florida. I had to measure from from the body to the base of the tower. It was 111 yards. The body had one 00 pellet in the hip and one in the head. The Country Medical examiner determined the one pellet in the head was the cause of death not the fall. Pretty good for a pee size pellet as you put it.

4. NYShooter

NYShooter

It's OK not to post if you have no clue what you are talking about.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

That would leave about three posts in this thread......

If you know you're going to a gunfight, you bring a rifle, and preferably, a squad of infantry.
    If you can't get either of those THEN you bring a shotgun. :)

There are times a pistol is preferable to a shotgun (or a rifle), mostly dealing with very, very tight spaces or handling another person (protection duty, moving while protecting your kid, etc). 15-18 rounds of a pistol round is still nothing to laugh at.

6. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I'll take you out, shoot it on paper and let you count the holes and measure the distance to your heart's content. But we have to put some money down on it...couple hundred bucks anyhow. :supergrin:

7. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Obviously you've never been in a gunfight. Because if you are going to be in a gunfight you call in artillery or at least drop a couple HE mortar rounds on their heads. Shoot some WP upwind so they can't see and then call in the Tank. The infantry comes later to pick up the pieces and dig some new fighting positions.

8. 22highcaps

22highcaps

Screw your half baked measures. I am calling in at minimum, a Spooky II and if possible a B1.:tongueout:

9. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Eh...every time I called in CAS for real the planes were always diverted to other missions. Hell, one day I had 8 pre-planned CAS sorties (Nobody gets 8 sorties of pre-planned CAS!) with the birds on station as we headed into an attack on an Iraqi Airfield. No kidding, we cross the LD and I tell the ALO to call in the fast movers and he comes back in two minutes and tells me the planes have all been diverted.

Friggin" Air Force....

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  10. aippi

aippi

All of you are antiquated fossils and know nothing on how to really destroy an enemy. Forget tanks, air strikes and all that mess. I can destroy an entire country and never fire a shot. I will hit them with O'Bama Care and that will render them broke and dying from their wounds because their Doctor dropped them and they can't find medical treatment. Yes, I know that is cruel to use such a destructive weapon against other humans but they should not have messed with me.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  11. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Once the jig is up and they know we intend to deploy a weapon of mass destruction like Obama they will fight even harder... And of course after the war we have to go in an occupy the stupid country and he may have made our job of rebuilding the country impossible.

Creates more problems than it solves.

12. aippi

aippi

Valid point Big Bird. I don't believe any country could be rebuilt after the destruction of O'boma care.

13. jb1911

jb1911

I hope you're wrong because we all live in one. God help us.

14. blackxpress

blackxpress

At HD distance it really doesn't matter. Any 12 ga load is going to be devastating. Even a load of birdshot at 10 yards is going to do massive damage. Give me a 12 ga over a handgun any day in that situation.

15. jb1911

jb1911

Sorry, this is incorrect.

16. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yes, WAY.
    Depends on the shotgun and ammo.

Under 5 inch Buckshot spread at 25 plus yards using a cylinder bore UTS-15 12 ga.

Ammo is Federal 9 pellet 00 Buck flight control wad.

The target is 8 inches wide.

Three sighting in shots (25 yards) sighting in the laser. Two high left and one low right.

[​IMG]

Last shot in low light using the Streamlight laser. 25 yards, from the hip.

[​IMG]

The Kel Tec KSG does the same thing. 13.5 inch spread at 35 yards.
    But it has a full choke.

[​IMG]

Depends on what your HD distance is.
    Mine is 35 yards plus. So a shotgun is no good to me f it won't hold a tight buckshot pattern beyond abut 30 yards

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

I have a Mossberg 590 with a 20" cylinder bore. With the Federal reduced recoil buck, it will print one hole out to 15-20 yards, as the pellets are all still inside the Flite Control wad. They will still all hit inside an upper torso at 35 yards.

18. WrongWay

WrongWay

You hit the nail on the head.

19. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Those who use a shotgun have obviously made their selection and performed the appropriate test and have graciously shared them here.

It is clear that the Internet Hostage Rescue Team is alive and well in this thread. I invite you to continue to speculate and pontificate while the rest of us go to the range and make ready.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  20. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

There are actually people arguing that a .38 handgun is a better stopper than a 12 gauge 00 buck??

Unreal.