How low will it go? Stock market taking a dip

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RWBlue, Feb 24, 2020.

1. G-nineteen

G-nineteen

For those who believe this is a fake health crisis that will be exposed shortly, returning the market to its high, there is no better time to make a quick buck or million.

I may be dense as I'm not seeing signs that there is some multi-national chicanery afoot. I hope no one risks any money in the belief this is fake.

2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Sit still for a while. Most corrections since WW II have lasted about 4 months. If it drops another 10% ( bear market ); all bets are off.

catman71 likes this.

3. willie_pete

I think we are on our own.

;)

catman71 and Jonesee like this.
  4. Hartford

Hartford

IMHO

This won't settle until we know how bad Covid19 is. It will probably settle our once the initial panic wears off. At that point it will wait for the effects of Covid19 are fully realized.

czsmithGT likes this.
  5. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

It’s working out pretty well for me, but this was exceptionally easy to see coming. I wouldn’t try to do it again unless something else exotic happened with plenty of warning, like this time.

JoeCitizen and misunderestimated like this.
  6. willie_pete

It's going to depend on how bad the virus hits the world economy. A big disaster in China, US and Europe will cause a world wide recession. A big disaster in South America and Africa ; not so much.

Trump's very bad luck that this is happening now so close to the election; everybody will start blaming him for the virus and the market. If Bernie winds up being the candidate and wins; the US and the market is screwed in more ways than one.

varget, czsmithGT and Hartford like this.
  7. Dirty bird

Dirty bird

I got lucky. Re-balanced my meager investments in mid-January after taking some out for sons tuition. Early February I figured this virus would eventually have a negative affect, and moved more into a money market for safekeeping. Wish I had moved more.

8. Hartford

Hartford

I agree with that. I think with the outbreaks growing in places like S.K. and Italy, first world countries with decent to good healthcare, the markets will go much lower. I don't understand all the people that think this drop is caused by Democrat rhetoric. This virus shut China down for a few weeks and they still aren't back to full production.

Now it's starting to boom in other first world countries. And we have untraceable spreading in California. This is genuinely worrisome stuff, not trumped up fear mongering. The amount of traveling people do in this country, we could have undetected cases all over in a matter of days.

9. willie_pete

Yeah, if that happens and it gets bad, the US productivity is going down the crapper along with the market. Even though China told people to go back to work; a lot of them aren't. Maybe they don't trust their .gov yet.

The CDC said today there were no cases in Florida; I hope it stays that way. Close to time for all the snowbirds to leave. I'll feel a bit safer then.

czsmithGT and Hartford like this.
  10. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

A lot of the Chinese workers might actually be dead... despite what the govt says.

Cmacc, willie_pete and Hartford like this.
  11. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

So, after four decades of daily observation what do you conclude?
    Please tell us oh great one.
    Anything to ad to J.P. Morgan, "equity prices tend to vary." :D

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

That is pretty crazy. Bound to happen once in awhile.

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

The market should rejoice if Bernie gets it, means another four years of Trump.

14. OXMYX

OXMYX

Now that everyone knows what it is and how to treat it there will be minimal problems in the US. The lady infected in CA was exposed to the folks coming in from overseas.

So why is the government bringing these folks here and why aren't all contacts monitored?

This is baffling but indicative of a broken government.

15. Rawah

Rawah

I wouldn't with all the out of towner spring breakers coming to party your way soon. :drink::drinkie:

misunderestimated likes this.
  16. OXMYX

OXMYX

Chinatown is a ghost town here. A lot of businesses are going under.

17. willie_pete

Unless this is going on in Nov and “ everybody “ blames Trump and elects Bernie.

18. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

It will go down another 10%, probably in the next week. Nothing I've learned about this virus causes me to think there is going to be an improvement in the health situation in the foreseeable future.

BGDaddy and willie_pete like this.
  19. Z71bill

Z71bill

Once a few people in your town get the virus- it makes people stop shopping, going out to eat or going places with lots of people.

I saw schools shut down because of a threat of heavy rain- administration scared some parent will complain their kid got rained on.

I will not be surprised at all if all public schools close because of one case of corona virus.