How Long Will Glock Support Gen 3 Parts?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pitt1011, Feb 13, 2010.

1. pitt1011

pitt1011

My question mostly deals with the recoil assemblies. Does anyone know how long Glock will continue to manufacture the Gen 3 recoil assemblies? I have to think with all of the Gen 3 pistols out there they will continue to make parts to support them but you never know.

2. captainkronosVH

captainkronosVH

I should live so long as to worry about this.

3. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

They'll support them for quite a long time I would imagine given that the majority of Glocks out there are using the Gen3 recoil system. Would've been nice if they would've made the Gen4 system work with Gen3, would've made more sense anyway. At any rate, it's unlikely you'll ever wear out or have issue with the Gen3 recoil system.

4. blinddog

blinddog Guest

If you look at it in the respect of continuing service, all manufactures or so called durable good continue makeing service parts for a period of ten years after the model stops production. With Glock reputation for service I cannot think they will do any less than makers or cars or refrigerators. Heck yoy can still get points for a '65 Chevy and I just bought a defrost timer for my tenty five year old fridgidaire. This is not anything I would spend time or thought on. But if it worries you the recoil assembly OEM from Glock is less than ten bucks buy half a dozen sets and don't worry.

5. pitt1011

pitt1011

Thanks for the replies, I'm not that worried about the near future but, eventually I will need to replace the recoil assembly as recommended.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Glock is still servicing 24 year old Generation 1 G17's. Nothing for you to worry about.

7. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

this is the last thing i'd worry about, as far as guns go, i have never seen such fantastic parts availability and their cheap price, from so many companies as for the Glock, with the possible exception of the AR series of guns. They will be making parts your glock long after you and me are pushing up the daisies lol.

8. coal

coal

Danny, you really need to stop being the voice of reason. It's give us nothing to worry or rant about that we can then post on GT. :supergrin:

9. RFPhoto

RFPhoto

Glock will be making parts for the Gen 1's for a very long time. The full size Gen 1's and Gen 2,3 share 17 common parts. One being the recoil assy.

10. jack76590

jack76590

If Sig takes over glock then I would worry.

11. AustinTx

AustinTx

How Long Will Glock Support Gen 3 Parts?

This is almost like asking, "how high is up".

12. vafish

vafish

But the recoil assembly for those Gen 1's is compatible with everything up through the RTF guns. You can pull a whole slide off of a Gen 1 and drop it onto a Gen 3 frame and it works just fine.

If the recoil assemblies and other parts are not compatible between the Gen4 and previous versions then the OP does have a valid concern as to how long the older guns will be supported.

But I think you are correct that the OP has nothing to worry about. There are millions of Glocks out there. If Glock stops making parts for them some other company will come up with them. There are already plenty of after market recoil assemblies, springs and guide rods out there.

If the OP is still concerned about it, the Glock factory recoil spring and plastic guide rod cost about $8 each. Buy 3 or 4 of them, toss them in your parts box and you will be set for the rest of your life.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  13. jack76590

jack76590

Beyond the slide, frame and barrel what parts are unique to Gen 4 guns?

Naturally the recoil spring, the mag release, and maybe the mag release spring. But are there any other unique parts? If there are no other unique parts there is really not much of a problem. Slides, frames and barrel very rarely break and if they do it is generally time to replace the whole gun. I guess mag releases may wear and the spring could break. Not sure if new mag release takes similar spring as current Gen 3. Aftermarket recoil springs are even now available from maybe half a dozen sources.

Am I missing something. Are there other unique parts?

14. JBP55

JBP55

What he said.

15. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

Buy five now. Put them in a safe deposit box so you can't lose them. Make sure you pay up on the SDB so they don't get your goods. They're cheap as hell; if you're worried, buy some. I'm more worried about the polymer breaking down on my precious plastic and having to burn little mounds of polymer off the carpet in my safe.