how long is the service life?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by clark_kent, Oct 29, 2005.

1. clark_kent

clark_kent

hi, newbie here. how long is the service life of non-1911 pistol? my first pistol is a CZ 85, it has been shooting well w zero problems w it. i probably have shoot around 3,000 w it already. my range officer told me dat i better not use the CZ 85 on regular practice. di naman daw kc ginawa nyan pambugbug, at kung ano ano na daw ang masisira, unlike 1911.

how true was it? how long does a regular pistol last? am also interest how long will glock pistol last?

2. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

There is a semantics issue when discussing 'service iife'.
    Some manufacturers lke Beretta dodge the issue by labelling the slide, barrel, other internals as 'consumables', same as the 9mm cartridges it fires, I suppose. ;g

It's tricky stuff ---if a rear sight breaks --does that xconstitute the end of a pistol's service life? The trial protocols also matter --rounds between rest/cleaning periods, etc.

Anyway here are demonstrated service-life requirements taken from various military/police trials. The firearm's actual service life may far exceed the numbers, as the trials did not go further than meeting bid requirements, although one Beretta 92FS locking block chipped at the 17,000 count. The CZ PO1 (close kin to your CZ 85) had exceeded the 15k requirement and the testers kept going til they called it a day at 30k.

Colt M1911 -- .45 ACP -- 35,000+ rounds (estimated, field) -- USArmy 1911-1945
    Beretta M9 (92FS) -- 9mm_--17,000+ rounds (barrel locking block) -- USArmy 1984-1990
    CZ PO1 -- 9mm Parabellum -- 30,000+ rounds -- Policja Republiki Czeskiej 2001
    HK USP Mk23 -- .45 ACP -- 30,000+ rounds -- USSOC 1993

If someone out there knows these numbers to be erroneous, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

:)
    horge

3. clark_kent

clark_kent

thanks for the info horge :) apreciate it :)

4. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

your RO must be a long lost grandson of john moses browning...

as with all mechanical parts, you want to anticipate any failure and do preventive maintenance and replacement of the most common parts that break in a CZ.

all the springs in the pistol (recoil spring, hammer spring, trigger return spring, fp spring) - most gun rags recommend to replace every 3-5k rds
    firing pin roll pin - we replace it with a solid pin
    slide stop - the CZ production manager says not to oil the slide stop, he recommends to inspect the slide stop every 1k rds and have a spare handy
    firing pin - the tip can break off with hot loads

aside from the these, shoot it as much as you want, replace what breaks

there is an article in the glock annual that a G17 has exceeded the 350k mark but no mention of what parts were replaced in the pistol.

5. horge

Bakit daw?
    I mean, I don't see much of a point in oiling it,
    but what's the downside if you do?
    ^8

Curious la'ang. :)

6. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

it has something to do with the unlocking of the barrel and slide during the recoil cycle. i still can't understand the reason behind it. oh well, since wala na akong cz, i didn't pursue the issue.

7. jundeleon

jundeleon

sir Horge,

didnt the hk socom mk23 gun last for 30,000 plus rounds of +p ammo and not regular pressure rounds?

8. Pepe308

Pepe308 Noypi

Hey guys, how bout a Norinco M1911 clone? Other forums says its tough with regards to its parts and chewing bullets, anyone can attest to this or at least has some knowledge to share?

9. casmot

casmot Re membered

Norinco is made with drop forged steel both frame and slide. Drop forged is one of the highest quality steel. Same process as in making tool steel.

10. revo

revo

...and replace what gets worn out.

Unless you're an IPSC shooter that shoots hundreds of rounds every week for practice and therefore needs constant maintenance, you should be able to pass on your guns to your children and their children and so forth.

11. horge

EDIT:BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    Tingnan ninyo nga itong sagot ko, para akong tanga.
    Why didn't someone correct me right away??

"+P?
    You are correct, in a sense.
    The SAAMI spec for +P 9mm has only a 38,500 psi ceiling.
    NATO ceiling is 42,000 psi, and thus perhaps a kind-of +P+
    Obviously SOC tested the HK SOCOM Mk23 with NATO spec ammo.
    Ditto the USArmy in its trial of the Beretta M9.

Hth."

;z ;z (Serves me right for posting while taking a phone call)

Let's try again, and I'll avoid confusing calibers and platforms
    this time:

Yes, the HK SOCOM Mk23 was tested using +P ammo,
    specifically Olin .45 ACP +P 282 gr JHP, IIRC.
    It was certainly also tested using standard pressure ball.

Am I forgiven my earlier lapse now?
    ;f

12. Arpee

Arpee Still a member

I have a CZ75BD (CZ75B with decocker version) and already fired closed to 4000 rounds.

The one that I had fixed after 2000 rounds is the decocker, replaced the magazine springs and firing pin roll. The pistol won't decock using its decocker after 2000 rounds. However, you can manually decock it and still useable during condition-1 of IPSC/PPSA. Now after almost 4000 rounds, I am having the same problem with its decocker again. I also replaced firing pin roll with a new one and inserted a cut portion of a drill bit to strenghten the firing pin roll. I learned that hard way that the firing pin roll cracks especially if you dry-fire a lot.

After close to 3000 rounds, I had its mainspring and firing pin spring replaced. Everything seems to be working fine so far but have not used the pistol for two months now.

As the others say, replace what breaks or have the parts fixed. :)

13. Pepe308

Pepe308 Noypi

Well that sounds promising! thank you sir!

14. atmarcella

atmarcella

i've encountered a lot of old farts like that, pag pasensyahan mo na lang, wala na kasi sila alam kung di 1911, they never had any other gun other than a 1911, or the only gun they know how to customize is a 1911......that's cos they've never surfed the net:)

15. atmarcella

atmarcella

as if hindi nasisira ang 1911......most of the time nga mga naka 1911 nasa gunsmith.....thats just like saying most of the time yung kotse mo nasa talyer kasi palagi nalang sira;a

16. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Sa mahal ng bala natin dito sa Pinas, maka 10K ka lang sa baril mo bawi na yun cost price mo sa baril. ;)

For the 1911, you'd probably go broke before you destroy it beyond serviceablity (barring load dummies of course ;)). But if you're using a glock and your name is unique, you might be a little less lucky. ;f;f;f

17. atmarcella

atmarcella

that's the time i get myself an SPI by col. bayang........or a glock 17 and play in production.....hey i cant help it if i'm addicted to these plastic thingies, i just paid a visit to the gunstores in MCS and robinson's galleria and the only thing these days na bumababa ang presyo ay glock na lang ata...less 10% from last years prices;f

18. clark_kent

clark_kent

sometimes the RO is so confindent w themselves that they think they know everything abt guns hahhahaha i bet some of them can't even shoot well :)

thanks for the info guys

19. atmarcella

atmarcella

.....ang hina ng take-up ko.....ako pla yon;P

20. atmarcella

atmarcella

at least i wont go broke;f ;f ;f fish bro;f