GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I've never had a reason or even the desire to purchase meat (or anything else for that matter) at Wal Mart, preferring local grocery stores. The nearby Ingle's in SC has a terrific meat department and a friendly staff that will happily cut you whatever you'd like, as will the IGA store, and the local Food Lion always has very reasonable prices and selection.

A recent example from Food Lion; a 10+lb. Boston Butt for .99¢ a lb.:

After I surgically removed the bone (LOL)...

All tied up ;)

With a bit of a spice rub a dub dub...

...and 8 hours after reaching an internal temp of 185°F...

As soon as it comes out of the oven I wrap in it foil and cover it with towels and it sits for 3 hours redistributing its juices, then I carefully place it in a 1 gallon Ziplock bag; it's still warm and so incredibly tender that it feels like a bag of Jello. Into the fridge it goes overnight, where it congeal/stiffens up and becomes easier to cut into 3/4"-1" steaks the next day (without falling apart), which I then vacume seal into portions and either keep in the fridge where it will last for a month, or pop into the freezer to thaw and enjoy at a later date :)

I highly recommend a vacume sealer for anyone who "worries" about how long their meat will stay edible. Raw chicken and beef are reported to last up to and longer than a year in the freezer when properly vacume sealed, when compared to simply placing that package of steaks in it's original packaging in your freezer where it will fall victim to freezer burn and be rendered inedible in a month or two.

I recently took out a frozen 2" thick smoked pork chop that I'd vacume sealed and had in my freezer for 14 months; I thawed it then slowly heated it to temp in of all devices, my microwave oven, and I was completely surprised at how good it was. So 14 months in the freezer had no negative effect whatsoever on it's taste or texture.

By contrast, before I recently got my upright freezer, I was always trying to make room in the freezer of my french door kitchen refrigerator for new items, so I decided one day to empy it and to remind myself of what was in there (LOL), and I found two bags of broccoli florals. I then remembered how I'd gotten them on sale - they ended up being pushed to the back of a shelf and promptly forgotten about; there was a clear strip in the packaging and I could see pale green broccoli in a bag full of snow. I laughed and threw them in the garbage, a complete waste.

I now buy fresh broccoli crowns and eat one a week and vacume seal two others into portions for the freezer, where they will not end up getting freezer burn in a bag of snow!

·
Know-It-All
2,349 Posts
The secret to good stew meat is how it's cut. Take a chuck roast and break it down to each muscle and then pay attention to the direction of the grain. Cutting each piece across the grain as much as possible makes for the tenderest stew you can get. When you just buy a package of "stew meat" it's cut randomly and you're in for some chewing.

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
I recall reading that some meat is packaged with carbon monoxide, it keeps the meat looking red. Would that also kill bacteria?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Anything over 4 hrs and it's recommended you see a doctor.

Reactions: Budqweiser

·
Registered
20,016 Posts
So many jokes and potential ban hammer!!:whistle::censored::censored:

Reactions: Sharkey

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
Honestly? 20mins give or take depending on what is "served" with my meat.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
The Kindly Curmudgeon
3,934 Posts
Walmart meat is edible. That's about what I have to say about it. Really it's meat and produce finish last behind all competitors. Just not a good place to buy fresh!
We have Dillon's, which has Kroger merchandise throughout, it is considerably better, but they have three prices on everything depending on quantity, whether you have their card or some other game-play that only a Navy cryptologist can figure out. I just buy cheap Walmart groceries in lieu of all that mess!
Like mmcb said though, buying that meat on the expiration date is the way to get a deal, but it is hard to predict when they'll come through the meat cooler and yellow-tag the stuff. Sometimes expired meat actually tastes a little better!
I do just about all of my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. I find their steaks very good and produce very good. They even sell thin versions of ribeyes and New York strips which I like as I don't pig out so much like I used to. About the only exceptions are I buy ground beef at a place in Cumberland, WI called Louie's Finer Meats and my bacon and some other meats at a place in Minong, WI. Wal-Mart prices are way better than most of the small supermarkets around my area.

Wal-Mart quality issues must be a regional thing.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The Kroger I shop at marks their meat down about 75% on the “sell by” date. Every once in a while I score a lot of ribeyes at 75% off. I grill most of them but use them for everything, stroganoff, stew, stir fry, fajitas, etc. With no special wrap, they last in the freezer for about a year.
My sons and I think it is another version of hunting. We wait. 30% off is not worth it, wait for 50% and pull the trigger, so to speak.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Beef shank makes a good soup. I prefer the cuts with marrow in the bones. I picked some up today. I use onion, carrots, celery, leek, parsnip, turnip, bay leaf, marjoram, thyme, beef broth, and a little pearled barley.

·
Registered
53 Posts
With beef it is really important to make sure you know what grade you're buying but I have noticed that not all "choice" or "prime" grades are the same. For instance, Costco's choice ribeyes are some of the best steaks I've ever bought that weren't dry aged.
Best beef I ever had was from a cow we bought from a 4H kid. Several families went in together on the cow. We knew it had been raised with respect and care, and killed humanely. We had frozen meat for 18 months. All delicious.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts