GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to eat healthier these days so I'm trying to cook up some vegetable beef soup. This time, however, I purchased the stew meat from a chain grocery store known for it's good quality meat.

A few hours of simmering the soup and I tasted some of the best vegetable beef soup ever! The meat was tender and very tasty!!!

What was the difference? I used to buy the stew meat at WalMart. I didn't realize that there was such a huge difference in the quality until the other day. The meat from the chain groery store was tasty, tender, and bursting with flavor.

Fast forward to today. I went to a farm store to look at guns. The store manager took care of me at the gun counter since the regular. We got to talking. I mentioned my world famous soup and how good the stew meat from the chain grocery store tasted.

As luck would have it, she used to be a store manager at that same chain. she related a story about the WalMart meat.

They once did a comparison test of meats. They decided to see which one lasted the longest.

The Walmart meat took 28 days to spoil. The grocery store meat took only 3 days. She attributes the difference to the fact that the Walmart suppliers must use an insane amount of preservatives and other chemicals in their meat products for it to avoid spoiling for 28 days.

Never again will I buy meat from Walmart

·
Horselover Fat
33,561 Posts
Hello! Glad to meat you!!

·
Unfair Facist
26,195 Posts
You’re gonna spoil sooner.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like to leave my squirrel in the fridge a week before I cook it, so the proteases in the meat start breaking down the tough tissue. Then I slow cook it. Meat falls right off the bone. The key is to avoid bacteria growing on the meat.

·
Unfair Facist
26,195 Posts
I like to leave my squirrel in the fridge a week before I cook it, so the proteases in the meat start breaking down the tough tissue. Then I slow cook it. Meat falls right off the bone. The key is to avoid bacteria growing on the meat.
Thats so cruel, doesn’t it get cold?

I haven’t eaten squirrel since I was a kid.

·
USN Retired
7,809 Posts
Trying to eat healthier these days so I'm trying to cook up some vegetable beef soup. This time, however, I purchased the stew meat from a chain grocery store known for it's good quality meat.

A few hours of simmering the soup and I tasted some of the best vegetable beef soup ever! The meat was tender and very tasty!!!

What was the difference? I used to buy the stew meat at WalMart. I didn't realize that there was such a huge difference in the quality until the other day. The meat from the chain groery store was tasty, tender, and bursting with flavor.

Fast forward to today. I went to a farm store to look at guns. The store manager took care of me at the gun counter since the regular. We got to talking. I mentioned my world famous soup and how good the stew meat from the chain grocery store tasted.

As luck would have it, she used to be a store manager at that same chain. she related a story about the WalMart meat.

They once did a comparison test of meats. They decided to see which one lasted the longest.

The Walmart meat took 28 days to spoil. The grocery store meat took only 3 days. She attributes the difference to the fact that the Walmart suppliers must use an insane amount of preservatives and other chemicals in their meat products for it to avoid spoiling for 28 days.

Never again will I buy meat from Walmart
It likely was shipped from China and lasts even longer than a month.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
11,887 Posts
In before meat locker. I mean thread lock.

Reactions: FullClip

·
Come on man!!
15,401 Posts
Depends on what my meat is going in.

The hotter it is the shorter my meat lasts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thats so cruel, doesn’t it get cold?

I haven’t eaten squirrel since I was a kid.
I hadn't either, but during the lockdown before I knew how dangerous (or not) COVID is, I stayed home and decided to stretch my supplies by reducing the local squirrel population. I started taking them with an air rifle, taught my daughter how to hunt and skin and cook them. It was time well spent. I froze most of them, and we just finished them over the winter. The population is back up so maybe I'll hunt some more this summer.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
The Kroger I shop at marks their meat down about 75% on the “sell by” date. Every once in a while I score a lot of ribeyes at 75% off. I grill most of them but use them for everything, stroganoff, stew, stir fry, fajitas, etc. With no special wrap, they last in the freezer for about a year.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Walmart meat is edible. That's about what I have to say about it. Really it's meat and produce finish last behind all competitors. Just not a good place to buy fresh!
We have Dillon's, which has Kroger merchandise throughout, it is considerably better, but they have three prices on everything depending on quantity, whether you have their card or some other game-play that only a Navy cryptologist can figure out. I just buy cheap Walmart groceries in lieu of all that mess!
Like mmcb said though, buying that meat on the expiration date is the way to get a deal, but it is hard to predict when they'll come through the meat cooler and yellow-tag the stuff. Sometimes expired meat actually tastes a little better!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
With beef it is really important to make sure you know what grade you're buying but I have noticed that not all "choice" or "prime" grades are the same. For instance, Costco's choice ribeyes are some of the best steaks I've ever bought that weren't dry aged.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts