close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How long does red wine keep after opening?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Wayne02, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02

How long after opening if it is not refrigerated?
    How about if it is refrigerated after opening?

Thanks
    Wayne

2. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

1. Not long
    2. Unless you're storing a bottle of Mad Dog :) don't store red wine in the fridge, open or not.

3. dao

dao Brrrr.

If you seal the bottle with the cork, should still be OK the next day... beyond that, think vinegar...

4. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

There is an inert gas you can add to the bottle to slow down the oxidation process. I get it at my local foo-foo supermarket, but I am sure any major wine store carries it. It is a metal bottle that feels empty. In my experience it extends the bottle for a few more days before it goes bad.

5. noway

noway

I've kept bottles of red & white vinos for more than 7 days. But normally I drink then that same day.

{If you seal the bottle with the cork, should still be OK the next day... beyond that, think vinegar...}

I hope you are kidding, sour wine ( aka vinegar ) doesn't happen over night or that soon and requires bacteria to grow and produce vinegar.

if you use a tight cork or one of those resealer corks that actually design for this, vino can last quite while but a true bottle open tastes better than an open & re cork bottle.

6. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

I've never seen it at the regular grocery, or even Trader Joe's - but the exclusively-wine store south of me carries these canisters of compressed gas. You use a narrow tube, just like w/a can of WD40, that attaches to the push dispenser top thingie, and insert the tube like 3/4 down the bottle (depending upon how full/empty it is) and give it a long burst (~3 sec or so), followed by a couple short bursts. Purportedly (and I agree it DOES work) the whateveritis gas from the can drives out the air that's in the bottle and in contact w/the wine. Then quickly recork after removing the bottle's tube. This is great stuff.... truly does get rid of the air in the bottle and keep the wine from going to vinegar.

It's used a lot behind the bar, for expensive wines and liquors that they don't often use up a whole bottle of in one night because they're served/ordered by the glass and fairly pricey. Seems like the canisters are around $5-7 a piece, but well worth it- and I think the can states there's like 200-300 "uses" in each - despite feeling totally light and empty.
    m

7. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

What I have is called "Private Reserve Wine Preserver". It contains nitrogen, carbon dioxide and argon.

8. Remander

Remander

We use a rubber-sealer deal that has a flip lever on it and really seals the bottle well. About $2 at BB&Beyond or such. We toss the cork on pulling and use the sealer afterwards. And we often give them to friends, who love them.

Red wine will keep fine, on the counter, for several days with one of these cheap devices.

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I am going to have to check that out. Nothing like an exscuse to browse BB&B ;f

10. nathanenge

nathanenge

I have half a bottle of yellow tale cab sauv. tasted and smelt too sweet, like a caramel flavour. I opened it last weekend, and corked it the same night. I'm deciding what to do with it. I do not want to drink it. suggestions?

11. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

We use I think its called "Vacu Vin" a vaccumn pump and rubber stoppers, usually the wine remains drinkable for 2-3 days.