Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I know I never had a dud round in my years of firing a 9mm (but then I only fired factory loads:supergrin:), but for just how long do you keep your carry loads before disposing of them downrange? Effective self-defense ammo is expensive nowadays (gone are the days of P600 Federal 50 rd boxes at PBD), so the urge to keep them as long as possible is tempting.

Thanks!

·
Remember
1,357 Posts
I've had some 4 year old Sellier and Bellot JHPs that I sent downrange just last month. No duds among the 200 rounds that I used up.

I try to replenish my defensive ammo every two years at the latest. However, ideally, I would like to practice with my carry/home defense load at least once every quarter to gain familiarity with its recoil characteristics and POI.

·
Registered
277 Posts
For me it is not the number of years i had the ammo; it is the number of times I chambered and rechambered it in my gun that counts. Chambering, ejecting and then rechambering can push the bullet back into the shell, and may change the bullet setback. In and out several times and down the range it goes.

·
Registered
698 Posts
For me it is not the number of years i had the ammo; it is the number of times I chambered and rechambered it in my gun that counts. Chambering, ejecting and then rechambering can push the bullet back into the shell, and may change the bullet setback. In and out several times and down the range it goes.
Yes its true. Have to check the OAL of the round. I usually don't carry with a round chambered so I think I'm ok but will check the OAL anyway.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
True, after awhile those rounds tend to go into the shell. If I see that they have already just slightly went in, they are due to be sent off to the range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts