Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long before Glock released it for sale did we know about the Glock Slim Frame?

The reson I ask is because we might use it as a gauge to answer the question "What new things is Glock working on?"...

Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
117,227 Posts
I don't know, but my local gunshop just got in a case of genuine Glock Carbine Slings.

j/k :animlol:

·
GLOCK 20SF 10MM
639 Posts
How long before Glock released it for sale did we know about the Glock Slim Frame?

The reson I ask is because we might use it as a gauge to answer the question "What new things is Glock working on?"...

Thanks!

-Emt1581
The only "slim frame" was the G36 and it had teething problems and took a while to get into customers hands after being announced. The "SF" "short frame" guns came kinda quick. They usually appear at the SHOT show and are released soon afterward.

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only "slim frame" was the G36 and it had teething problems and took a while to get into customers hands after being announced. The "SF" "short frame" guns came kinda quick. They usually appear at the SHOT show and are released soon afterward.
That's what I meant...the short frame...

So it seems like their R&D dept. is pretty secretive. I wonder why they do that?...IMO it seems like Glock is a tad snobby. They don't seem to care about the consumer. Ironically they put out some of the best products money can buy. But where other companies let mags do reviews, have promotions, etc...Glock just says here ya go and that's it.

-Emt1581

·
GLOCK 20SF 10MM
639 Posts
That's what I meant...the short frame...

So it seems like their R&D dept. is pretty secretive. I wonder why they do that?...IMO it seems like Glock is a tad snobby. They don't seem to care about the consumer. Ironically they put out some of the best products money can buy. But where other companies let mags do reviews, have promotions, etc...Glock just says here ya go and that's it.

-Emt1581
Most R&D for any company is secretive, that's the nature of business, to be the first with the best...They really do care, for example, during the mag ban, Glock would take cop guns in trade and refurb the hi cap mags and sell them with refurbed guns. It would not have mattered to them, Glocks sell regardless during that period. They did it for the customers. The NEW products get reviewed and reported on, but the rest are the same as they have always been and they were reviewed when they were new..GSSF (Glock Sport Shooting Foundation) is just one big ongoing promotion and they put a lot of time and effort (called money) into it.

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
117,227 Posts
Glock has a reputation for reliability above all; to let out premature rumors of impending products, followed by delays, would imply problems.
Better to maintain the perception that there are no problems with new Glocks, and surprise us with perfection out of the box.

·
Registered
409 Posts
To me, the phrase "short frame" is just silly. Short refers to height, not grip diameter or the distance between the front of the frame to the back. Slim frame would have been a better description, or as I like to say: "the size of frame that the G21 and G30 should have come out with from the beginning."

·
Registered
304 Posts
Slim is what the G36 is (read thin). Short (can) imply height but also distance. In the "SF" catagory, short is the distance between the web of your hand (between thumb and finger) and the ready trigger position.

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone know of anything else Glock's working on or might be bringing to the shot-show?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
IMHO, the one change that would bring back lots of former Glock die-hards to the fold and keep a sizeable percentage of fence-riding future buyers snuggly entrenched in the Glock corral, would be the ability to swap out back straps. I can't tell you how many times I hear from M&P and XD owners, "if only Glock had a more comfortable grip....yada, yada." Say what you want about this, it's the single biggest beef and if Glock didn't retain the lion's share of the current/near term LE market, I think we'd see progress in this area. Right now Glock is sitting pretty fat and happy and the consumer market, is not their primary focus.

·
Heavy Hauler
2,556 Posts
Does anyone know when or how often this "SHOT Show" happens?

Sorry for the NewB question:embarassed:

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
That's the friggin problem. Glock only makes one single stack, but it's not a 9mm sub-sub compact.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I can't believe it. Are we are now going to have to explain what "short" or "thin" means. I just thought it was opposite "long" or "fat".
At

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
To me, the phrase "short frame" is just silly. Short refers to height, not grip diameter or the distance between the front of the frame to the back. Slim frame would have been a better description, or as I like to say: "the size of frame that the G21 and G30 should have come out with from the beginning."

If I remember the history correctly, the term SF has gotten completely changed from when it was originally mentioned. I am pretty sure I remember that it got that designation when it was being developed to go after a contract for a new Spec Ops pistol, hence the SF designator. When that didn't pan out, the translation of the initials just changed to something about the description of the "new' gun, even if it didn't fit exactly.

·
GLOCK 20SF 10MM
639 Posts
If I remember the history correctly, the term SF has gotten completely changed from when it was originally mentioned. I am pretty sure I remember that it got that designation when it was being developed to go after a contract for a new Spec Ops pistol, hence the SF designator. When that didn't pan out, the translation of the initials just changed to something about the description of the "new' gun, even if it didn't fit exactly.

Short would be a correct term because the distance between the trigger and the rear of the grip is SHORTER, hence a shorter trigger reach, AKA "length of pull" in rifles and shotguns, but with them, its from trigger to rear of stock. I think the SF being special forces was just a GI's vivid imagination...And the GI gun was also to have a safety too...And that is still coming to Glocks in the near future.

·
Impossiblist
43,839 Posts
IMO it seems like Glock is a tad snobby. They don't seem to care about the consumer.
-Emt1581
They sent me a free hat and an envelope full of other free stuff. stickers, pens, keychains, patches, etc. They spent 12 bucks to ship the free stuff too.

All I did was write a letter and tell them I was pleased with their product.

Just because you didnt get a thank you card and kiss doesnt make them snobby. they sell a few pistols a day...

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They sent me a free hat and an envelope full of other free stuff. stickers, pens, keychains, patches, etc. They spent 12 bucks to ship the free stuff too.

All I did was write a letter and tell them I was pleased with their product.

Just because you didnt get a thank you card and kiss doesnt make them snobby. they sell a few pistols a day...
Oh Glock is awesome in that respect. Anything you ask for they send you without question. I've gotten everything from key chains to springs to followers...you name it. Their customer service is top notch...way beyond Smith and Wesson...and that's a company that pays BOTH ways for shipping!...But Glock doesn't say "Send it in and we'll see what's up"...they just send you whatever you need!...FREE!

However when it comes to listening to what people want, I've heard a TON of people ask for a 9mm single stack Glock ever since I bought one years ago. Still going strong as a REQUEST...Same thing with the carbine...still just a REQUEST. Is there any proof that Glock actually listens to consumers in terms of new guns? The SF model(s) maybe, but I'm guessing that was done to appease some agency.

As far as selling "a few pistols a day"...hmm...I know they sell a few pistols EVERY DAY at my local gun shop....now either no one else accross the country is buying a Glock on most days or they are selling a tad more than just a few...

I think Kraigster hit the nail on the head.

Great guns and customer service...just not the best rep when it comes to listening to people/consumers. Glock has a good history of making reliable guns that go bang every time. Great finish, durability, etc. However, other companies are catching up or leaving Glock in the dust. Look at Beretta's PX4 Storm, the XD's, etc... great reliability, bells and whistles, and concealability.

However, I love my Glocks and I trust my life to them.

-Emt1581

1 - 18 of 18 Posts