close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How long did it take you to fix your low/left shooting?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bambooi, Mar 23, 2010.

1. bambooi

bambooi

So I have done some searches and found the reason for my low and to the left shooting. I am right handed. I am practicing dry firing and I don't move the front sight at all. I have also bought some snap caps for myself so when I do the actual fire to see if I'm doing any flinching or anything to that effect.
    How long does it take to actual hit that bulls eye consistently? I also have a 22lr and I'm pretty accurate with it, but with my G19 I can't hit the bulls eye hardly at all @ 5 yards out. I'm close, but not there. Any tips? I've read practice only makes permanent, but perfect practice makes perfect. I'm trying to get better, but I'm wondering how long it actually takes. I feel that I'm getting better. I have probably shot over 1000 rounds, but maybe 300 after doing searches on the forum and realizing what I am doing wrong.

Also what are acceptable groups for 5, 7, 15, and 25 yards out?

Attached pic is @ 5 yards out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Oh boy...

I would like to see pictures of previous targets.

3. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

a laser for the gun helps. let you see how/where it moves as you pull.

4. farmer-dave

farmer-dave

The real question, is it you or your sights. Not every gun is set dead on at the factory. I've had alot of different guns not shoot to poa, shoot it from a brace and see if it's still shooting the same.

5. bambooi

bambooi

I let my co-worker shoot it and he hit bulls eye.

6. bambooi

bambooi

See first post.

7. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Get a pellet gun, you can get a Daisy target model and practice with real feedback with nothing more complicated than a box of newspapers for a backstop.

Nothing beats real trigger time.

8. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

I'm sorry, but I can't tell anything with that target. There's some sort of postage stamp sized target in the upper right view, and what appears to be holes near the center .

Reference points help...

[​IMG] . [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A good measure of successful trigger press is to dry fire with a cartridge case balanced on the front sight without it falling off.

As another poster mentioned, a laser helps recognize muzzle wiggle.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It ahs nothing to do with the sights. A few minutes with a competent instructor could fix it easily.

10. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

Instantly, the first time I tried a 1911.

Low left by a right handed shooted is sign of a lazy/improper grip OR a pistol that doesn't fit you properly - usually too big. Although being a G19 it seems unlikely that's the problem. I put over 1000 rounds through a full size double stack 9mm and I'm still 10" left. If I really concentrate on the grip I can pull it back pretty good but as soon as I loosen up it's off the paper.

Then I tried a 1911. Seven shots in a vertical line with none of them no more than 2" left. I need to tighten up the elevation a little but the shooting left problem was gone.

11. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

+1
    Also, get a .22 target pistol.
    Shooting a gun with light kick is a good way to cure the tendency to flinch.

12. dosei

dosei

:dunno:
    I figured this was plenty good for rapid fire @ 5 yards. 1 magazine emptied into COM, 2nd magazine emptied into the head. But everyone has their own idea of what acceptable group sizes are.
    [​IMG]

13. bambooi

bambooi

I would like to be able to do that. How many rounds have you shot?

14. ssgrock3

ssgrock3

get a correction target and shoot it. the target has corrections in the margin. all 360 degree of the target. http://www.bghi.us/targets/rh_correction.pdf

I used it after shooting glocks exclusively, just couldn't get my sig 220 to center mass. Had great groups, directly left of COM. found I can't shoot sigs with just the pad of my trigger finger on it. put a little more finger and it moved the group to com. see what it does for you. I thought for sure it was the gun. lol

15. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

simple, you are not pulling straight back. Use the tip of your finger and 'point' it back at your nose when pulling the trigger.

16. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Very true. Unfortunately many folks do not feel they need to take a practical fundamentals pistol class.

17. dosei

dosei

I started shooting BB guns when I was 8, 22lr rifles when I was 10, 20ga shotguns when I was 12...I'm 42 now. I never bothered to start counting rounds. I can tell you that it was not uncommon for my brother and I to go thru 1000 rounds of 22lr in one "going plinking" outing when we were kids. Hunted pheasant, quail, prairie chicken, rabbit, squirrel, and deer growing up. As an adult (okay...larger kid) I go thru a couple hundred rounds any time I go out to shoot my pistol (yes, I currently have only 1). In my 20's & early 30's, I'm guessing I shot at least a thousand rounds a year (handgun).

Two key things...
    1. Your eye/eyes should be focused on the front sight...NOT on the target.
    2. The "surprise break". The only thing the trigger finger does is apply pressure to the trigger, pushing straight back and increasing the pressure until the gun fires. When your learning to shoot, that increase in pressure should be done slowly, with no care whatsoever for exactly when the gun goes bang...when it happens, it's just a pleasant surprise.

A simple shooting mantra/chant...

"Focus on the front sight, let the shot surprise me"

18. Roarak

Roarak

This man speaks the truth. As a new shooter, very slowly pull the trigger with your eyes focused on the front sight. The trigger break and round firing should actually suprise you. Just make sure you have a good grip, and follow these basics and you will be able to put a single hole at 5 yards with 2" .38 special.

19. dosei

dosei

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010