How Long Before U.S. Coronavirus Policy Becomes Political Weapon?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by BigBluefish, Jan 27, 2020.

1. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

When will the Dems scream and try to impeach President Trump a second time over his failure to immediately halt all flights / persons entering from China?

Or for failing to accept Chinese refugees?

Or FOR halting all flights and entries from China?

Or for not having a vaccine?

Or for his Phase I trade deal causing people in China to get sick?

You know it's coming.

Next week? The week after?

2. quasii

quasii

As soon as the trial is over, the Dems will go after Trump and the virus like they put Katrina on Bush... Of course, somehow climate change will be involved as well.

happyguy, FullClip and mj9mm like this.

3. TxGun

TxGun

I suspect the (D)s will attempt to manufacture a major controversy over it. They never miss an opportunity, not matter how laughably hypocritical it makes them appear.

happyguy, mj9mm and bdcochran like this.
  4. thewitt

thewitt

Here it is.

Trump put sanctions on China so they could not afford to import food from the US.

This meant people in Wuhan had to resort to eating bats.

Bats carry the Coronavirus and so people got sick.

It’s all Trump’s fault.

5. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

I blame Trump, White male Christians, guns, pit-bulls, man made global warming/cooling "depending on season", conservatives, and I can't leave out racist.

jeanderson and FullClip like this.
  6. thespork

thespork

7. Dave514

Dave514

It already is. Scientists and activists are saying it's not nice to quarantine. And since viral shedding occurs before symptoms they are using the fact that quarantine isn't 100% effective to put their feelings before facts. This will be a polarized topic with leftists saying it's mean to quarantine.

nursetim and mj9mm like this.
  8. thespork

thespork

And your degree in epidemiology and public health comes from where exactly? And the buck stops, where exactly??

There are statistical/scientific factors that go into the decision to quarantine...
    It's not an easy decision to understand or make..

And it's ultimately up to the leader of the executive branch of the federal government, not scientists (who only make suggestions, they don't enforce quarantines) or 'activists' or whatever liberal bogeyman/strawman you want to imagine.
    If you have an issue with the way things are being handled, the criticism should go there... Of course that would ultimately result in calling into question the actions/decisions of a particular individual who some folks can't seem to bring themselves to question about ANYTHING.

9. Dave Brubaker

Dave Brubaker

happyguy and nursetim like this.
  10. thespork

thespork

Deflection, not exactly...
    Or maybe let me clarify...
    If it gets bad, will it be used as a political weapon? Of course it will, a soon a humanly possible.... Bad pun intended...

I'm just saying, not go clutching pearls and collapsing on the fainting couch... Your side (making the assumption you are team republican) played it ti the hilt in 14, for an 'epidemic' that didn't exist in this country, even ran tv spots about it

11. nursetim

nursetim

Where does your come from? What he said is clinically correct. BTW, mine comes from Duke University. Care to continue driving out of your lane?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    DocCasualty likes this.
  12. thewitt

thewitt

Trolls gotta troll...

FullClip likes this.
  13. Dave514

Dave514

I got an A in Public Health in grad school and an A in stats in undergrad so combining that with the discussion I had with a lib friend I have (more specifically she is my friend's daughter) who works for the CDC, I stand by my statement. They are more worried about offending someone than the statistical benefits of quarantining. Using the fact that viral shedding occurs before symptoms, therfore not being 100% effective, as the excuse to allow numerous other exposures.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    mj9mm, Deltic, happyguy and 1 other person like this.
  14. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Shutting things down is a big and costly decision. If you are wrong, you will be lynched.

I remember when the NOAA vulcanologists recommended the evacuation of the area surrounding Mt. Pinatubo, including Clark AB. Those guys held their breath and wrung their hands for a few days because they knew everything they had worked for, their reputation, credibility, and careers were on the line. If they were wrong, no one would ever listen to them again.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

15. thespork

thespork

Yes, what he said about the virus and it appears to spreads before symptoms is correct...
    But the implication, and don't you dare say it wasn't made, that there is some kind of 'scientist and activist' conspiracy afoot to shut down a quarentine is nonsense..

Again, quarentines are complicated and expensive things, with no guarantees to work, even slightly, (especially with a bug like this one, because it spreads before symptoms).
    If you know the subject as well as you claim none of this is news to you.

And again, the CDC will only advise on this matter, the decision whether or not to institute quarentines ultimately lies with the president...
    Direct your consternation there, not some mythical cabal of 'scientists and activists'

None of this is hard to understand unless you are absolutely determined not too.

And I have multiple degrees, including one in biology with a concentration in pathogenic bacteriology myself..

16. nursetim

nursetim

But of course you do.

seedub70 and FullClip like this.
  17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

As soon as the impeachment is over and they move on to the next thing.

happyguy likes this.
  18. Dave514

Dave514

I guess if you don't know how leftists think....

The Atlantic.
    A Historic Quarantine
    China’s attempt to curb a viral outbreak is a radical experiment in authoritarian medicine.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/01/china-quarantine-coronavirus/605455/

The New York Times
    As Coronavirus Fears Intensify, Effectiveness of Quarantines Is Questioned

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/26/world/asia/coronavirus-wuhan-china-hubei.html

It's already clear that leftists are siding with the idea that it's just not nice to quarantine since viral shedding occurs before symptoms. The actual science is inconvenient.

"But as shown in this study, it is still crucial to isolate patients and trace and quarantine contacts as early as possible because asymptomatic infection appears possible (as shown in one of our patients), educate the public on both food and personal hygiene, and alert health-care workers on compliance to infection control to prevent super-spreading events."
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30154-9/fulltext

19. mj9mm

mj9mm

on a much smaller scale, i remember when there was a Quarantine placard tacked to our front door in the early '60's. we had one of those "children disease" going through the family. our doctor made a house call to confirm it, don't remember which one it was but we were sick for over a week. Gramps would pick up groceries and supply's and drop them off by the door. i was too sick to care, but remember my parents being very upset by it. in reality though, i remember others, friends and neighbors going through it at times.

20. gfh54321

gfh54321 THREADKILLER

:outtahere:

:music:

Dave514 likes this.