close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How I became a Glock fan...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by way2fast, Apr 2, 2010.

1. way2fast

way2fast

I had a client a about two years back ask me to recommend a good pistol that he could use for self defense in the home and play time on the range. So I inquired about his experience with firearms and further delved in to specifics about his needs. He had decent experience with firearms (mostly hunting rifles) and had a clear understanding of firearms safety. This was going to be easier than usual. Often I get people with no firearm experience.

I started going over different characteristics of pistols that would fit his needs.
    He did not want a wheelgun so we were covering various models of auto loaders.
    So there I was going over the characteristics of various pistols, he had his choices narrowed down to a SIG 229 or Glock 19/23.

And I’ll be damned I sold MYSELF on a G23.

I had a G19 in the early 90’s (was actually my wife’s, but after a “hot brass and a low cut shirt episode she claimed my GP-100 as hers and I was awarded the G19) but was not overly impressed with it. Could be I was not ready to jump on the wonder nine bandwagon of the mid-late 80’s but for whatever reason it got camped out in my safe and sold a few years later.

My usual carry pieces were a Kimber compact 1911 and/or S&W J frame and continued to be right up until I actually convinced myself that a G23 would be perfect for me after working with a client. So I ordered a G23 immediately. My client was laughing. We were going to hit the range the following weekend to try out a SIG 229 and G19 to see which he preferred. I told him it looked as though he will get to try a G23 out too. It arrived the next day.

So in the end he decided on a G19 and I had a new G23. After over a decade of using a compact 1911 and J frame as my primary carry pieces I was a new fan of Glock and now my primary carry pieces are a Glock 23 and S&W 642. I sold many Glocks and own/have owned many different “carry pistols” but never really considered a Glock as my primary carry rig. Go figure. Now my 23 is just about as perfect of a carry rig for me as can be.

The reason I remembered “how I came to love a Glock”, is because that client (now friend) called the other day talking about how he loves his Glock and is buying a G26 (to go with his new CCW permit) and asked if I still carried my G23. I laughed told him that yes , I convinced us BOTH to buy Glock that day.

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

It's hard not to do. I was originally thinking of a P99 or USPc in .40 for my first firearm a little over a year ago and decided on the G23. For my purposes, the only quality that the G23 didn't do better than the other pistols was looking cool. I couldn't be happier with my decision and now also own a G27.

3. RiskPro

RiskPro

I photographed a wedding for a pawn owner and he paid me cash + a Glock. That's how I got my first Glock.

What hooked me though were the techs in Smyrna. I took a ten year old used Glock in and they totally upgraded it, replaced all my mags and treated me like I had spent $1MM.

I just bought two more new ones this year! Thanks Pawn-Guy and Thanks Smyrna-Techs!

4. jadedragon

jadedragon

I became a big fan after reading an article in "Popular Mechanic's" where they featured an article on a new revolutionary handgun. I must have read that article a dozen times. When I was finally able to I became the proud owner of a Glock 17, which I still own to this day and the very same handgun featured in that article.

5. BirdDog239

BirdDog239 Sheep Dog

I signed up for a 401k plan when I worked at a furniture store. When I left that company I cashed it out and I had enough money for a new gun.

I didn't know anything about Glock other then it was popular with LE and I figured it must be a good handgun. I walked in my local gun shop and the shop owner basically picked out the gun for me. He didn't even have a Glock in stock and he showed me a very small black and white photo. I told him that I wanted one and the only question that I remember him asking me was what caliber I wanted. I told him I wanted a 45 and a week later I had my very own third generation Glock model 21.

That was a pretty good day.