close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How heavy are the plates on a Cybex machine?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Shabcat, May 23, 2006.

1. Shabcat

Shabcat car chaser

I feel like this is a stupid question (and yes, there are stupid questions), but I gotta know. I'm between gyms so recently I've been working out with a buddy in the shared gym in his apartment building. The gym has a couple benches and a lot of dumbbells as well as some machines. I've been primarily using the dumbbells (I'm old fashioned). Something is irking me though. One of the machines is a Cybex multistation. It has one function which imitates the bench press. It is plate loaded. The user lays down on a bench, grabs the handles, and does the bench press motion. Here's where things get weird: there is no indication anywhere of how heavy the plates are. There are 12 of them (plates). Toward the end it gets a bit heavy but not that heavy (I can do it on the heaviest without trouble and I'm *not* a strong guy). Is there any way to determine how heavy the plates are (without disassembling the machine and weighing them!).

Thanks.

Edit: I believ the machine is the "Cybex MG500." Ive found references to 230lb stacks, but i have toruble beleiving i could do that so easily. I know machiens make it easier than freeweights,, but that much?

2. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

The weight isn't the only thing you need to worry about, it's the geometry and math behind the pullys and cables.

3. Shabcat

Shabcat car chaser

Good point. It just seems rather odd they'd set up the machine so that you had 230lbs of weight but were given a huge advantage in lifting it... effectively making having that much weight (not that 230lbs is that huge) pointless. In any case, I'll be continuing with the dumbbells.