close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How hard is it to catch a killer?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HauntedAlabama, Mar 9, 2010.

1. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

This time of year is always rough on me. Used to run a Halloween haunted house for a local charity and it involved working with lots of high school and college aged kids. One of my guys brought some junior high kids one evening when we were building sets, said they had gotten into trouble at church of all places and asked if I would put them to work doing crap jobs as punishment. One of those kids stuck around after they had worked off their service hours we had agreed on. I could not get rid of him, gave him the nastiest, worst possible jobs that had to be done trying to make him lose interest but he kept coming back. We felt like we were baby sitting more than anything but I told the other older kids if he wanted to be there that bad he could. When the haunt opened the kid begged me to let him act in it so I got one of the older women to agree to work with him as well as keep an eye on him. He shined in his role and worked harder than all of the other actors. He kept coming back, worked with us all year as we put together the haunt, started going to events we did, etc. and became part of our haunt family. The longer we knew him the more we learned about his home life, family, etc. Long story short, at times we fed him, clothed him, took care of him, and watched him grow up. I had a side job I used to do that was a seasonal summer work and I gave him a job with me so he could buy his first car. The kid was not perfect and got into some trouble but I think it was from running with the wrong people looking for attention. Anyway, someone broke into his mom's house a couple years ago and shot him while he slept. The police interviewed tons of people, I contacted the governor and the state put up a reward, local businessman put up a reward, nothing. They still have no clue who killed him or why. Still remember the call I got from one of the haunt crew telling me what happened. His birthday fell at the end of February so I have been thinking of him lately. There is a huge haunted house trade show we attend that is in a couple of weeks. He always wanted to go but could not attend until he was 21, which he would have been this year. I will never understand why it happened and I wonder if the police will ever find who did it. I used to call the detective in charge of the case every couple of months to remind him someone cared, but I have given up on them ever being able to do anything. For a community the size of this one, the few murders that happen seem to go unsolved. Sorry for the long post, I am just needing to share. Does anyone have any experience dealing with any organizations that deal in cold cases? Thanks.

2. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

Sad story, but good on you for doing the kid a good turn. Hope they find the murderer.

3. EM87

EM87

Wow, that's truly a sad story. I can't offer any advice, but I can say that I hope the killer is caught and punished. I wish you the best.

4. moncoacp

moncoacp

God bless you for your wonderful heart. I wish I could offer solace, but if this was random act, it will be difficult or impossible to solve unless someone confesses either the police or to someone who contacts the police. Most murders are committed by someone who knows or has a relationship with the victim. I am sure the police looked into this possibility thoroughly as well as any acquaintances of his mother. I will pray that the police get some kind of lead that will uncover the person and that the law will deal with that person to the fullest extent allowable.

5. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

What was he into that got him into trouble? Someone broke into his moms house, shot him while he slept... was mom left unharmed?

Sounds like a hit to me. I've had my hand in a murder investigation or two, FWIW.

6. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

ditto what others said...

when i was a kid i thought that is you killed you got cought...now, seems if you kill and keep your mouth shut you dont..

good luck

7. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

He had shoplifted with a friend earlier in the year. The detectives told me after he was murdered that he had broke into a pawn shop with two others a couple months before his death. They did not know he was involved until they were investigating his murder. The mom was an alcoholic, dad was hardly ever in the picture, he was so desperate for attention and wanted to fit in I was afraid he would go along with whatever the people he was around wanted to do. When he told me he was in trouble for shoplifting I contacted a friend that is an attorney and she helped him with that. It royally pissed me off that he had done it and I gave him the cold shoulder for awhile after he told me. Looking back now that was the stupidest thing I have ever done in my life as we did not include him in some of the stuff we did and that left him to hang out with the bad crowd. That is the thing that haunts me the most. The mom was at work, the killer did not break in until after she had left.

8. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

It is a safe assumption that he was involved in more than has been learned of. Motives lead to suspects and suspects lead to motives. Find one, you have a better change of finding another.

The key to cold cases is a periodic renewal of interest by folks like you who care.

Best of luck. :patriot:

9. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Nothing to add (since I'm no detective), but good on you for caring about the kid, and trying to help him. You offered him the chance to change -- tasks to keep idle hands busy, an environment where he could grow up, people that cared about him -- and that's more than many would have done. It's not your fault he fell back in to doing wrong, or that he ended the way he did. Don't beat yourself up over that, no matter what else you feel or worry.

10. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

I hope you find peace,understand, you did what you could and did ok.Good for you for wanting this one solved, people like you are what keep it open,long after its been closed.

-It seems strange the killer waited till after his mom left to commit the crime.

11. Naelbis

Naelbis

Sounds to me like it was someone he knew. It's darn hard to clear a murder case with limited evidence and no witnessess. Like a previous poster said, stay involved and don't just let the file end up archived somewhere. Eventually, something will surface that will give investigators something to work with.