How hard are you ( bullets)

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Aug 9, 2005.

1. noway

noway

How hard of a hardcast bullet do we need? Looking at old information from Elmer Keith, he was using bullets cast at that time in the 11-16 BHN range. Almost everybody now adays cast their commerical offerings with 20+ BHN and uses this as a selling point. A few good articles that I've read stated under 1300fps, you don't need that hard of a bullet. Until they are pumped out a 454casull or rifle these extra hard cast bullets don't really offer anything extra.

Have anybody ever shot a medium/lg size game animal with a lead hardcast bullet less than 20 on the BHN scale?

I trying todo so real life testing with bullet cast under 20 BHN and seeing if the results are better. Here's some informal testing from bullets wacked outside with a 5lb hammer. The bullet linedup in the middle, is a 320gr drycreek keith 45/LC bullet that showed serious deformation of the nose and if you look closely the whole bullet swell when compressed from the hammer strikes, so i would assume it would do the same aganist a game animal providing it doesn't break or reatard penetration, it should be okay.The other bullets are various .452 diameter FP/Keith/WFN bullets that are all cast with 20+ BHN rating. They are hard as steel.

I shot a railroad tie member with the 300FP-BB and the bullet slide thru it like a needle going thru silk. It was lightly loaded also.

Anybody have experience with various cast lead-alloys and games and results, please post your outcome.

2. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI

I'd like to see more answers to this as well, but I have heard that too hard of a BHN causes the bullet to become brittle.

3. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12

4. noway

noway

{I have heard that too hard of a BHN causes the bullet to become brittle.}

I've heard the same line also, but when refer'd to linotype alloys. The bullet has some good hardness but at the velocities generated, the bullet can fragment from be too hard.

btw: I'm asking this question on hardness for handguns and bullets mainly used for 44magnum and 45colt,etc....

Alot of these calibers barely generate over 35k psi, which is less than most rifles and from what I've read on leading and such, they get better obtutration at the base of the bullet and helps provide a better seal and less leading with softer lead.

I've also read both of the NRA and Bear Tooth book on hardcast and casting bullets, very good source of information.

5. tjpet

tjpet

I used to cast 1-16 years ago per Keith's advice. Bullets killed deer and elk well. Tried casting a bit softer for better seal and maybe expansion but didn't notice anything dramatically better or worse. Leading did increase with the hotter loads so I added a gascheck but accuracy, although good, wasn't on a par with non-GCed slugs.

Fell into a hoard of linotype and later on a source of new wheelweights. They both worked fine and drilled straight through BG from any angle. Leading in the 1200fps range was nil and I never noticed any problem with bullet break up. After my source of linotype dried up I cast straight WW's for about 15 years, sometimes quenching them for hardness (no noticeable difference there, either.) By then there were a few commercial casters offering hard cast slugs so I hung up my pot and haven't seriously cast since about the mid-80's.

You don't need speed to kill when using 300+grn. bullets in the .44mag or .45 Colt (my favorite.) Roll them out at 1100fps and they'll penetrate, kill, and be kind to your hand.