How good are PSA uppers

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by spookie, Aug 24, 2015.

1. spookie

spookie

finishing up my last build was going to go with a BCM upper but am leaning towards a PSA for about $150.00 dollars cheaper, I have a BCM upper on my first build and love it, this build is for my son he don't give a darn where the upper comes from as long as it functions....

2. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

I've built 3 AR's using them and just added a Freedom 5.56mm to the lower that my 6.8 use to sit on and IMHO they're pretty decent. I'm not that great of a rifle shot, my eyes aren't what they use to be and even using a Magpul rear BUIS and stock from sight I got .5" to .75", 3 shot groups over the weekend with the new 5.56m upper. Bet I cut that in half once I get my scope mount and get my Vortex 2-7x mounted on the gun. Also, that Freedom 5.56mm from PSA was only $309 shipped and that's WITH the BCG. You just can't beat that deal. My grandson's M4 profile PSA upper also shoots just as well. I'd say if you want to get a good upper for your AR build then PSA is a good way to go.

3. OldSchool64

OldSchool64

I gotta stay tuned for this thread.

But, I'm thinkin' ya get what ya pay for with PSA. And for the quality you can save some money....

This news flash has been brought to you by OS64.

:wavey:

4. cfr

cfr

Tagged.

OldSchool64 likes this.
  5. Redstate

Redstate

Recently picked up a PSA Freedom melonite midlenght upper and it looks fine and operates fine. Only have a little over 100 rounds through it so far. I put the PSA premium bcg in it. It sits on a blemished PSA lower.

6. Turn4811

Turn4811

If you do have a problem PSA has great customer service. I have a buddy that had an issue with their AR-10 variant and they we all over making things right.

I have put their uppers and lowers together for 223/556 with 5 different weapons and all worked flawlessly. The PTAC uppers are their lower end. I have used 1 of those and it was a good plinker.

7. r3dot

r3dot

$150 bucks isn't enough to make me choose a psa over a BCM.

NewWaveGuy, pag23 and Inebriated like this.
  8. GRJfer

GRJfer Hi-tech Redneck

I have a PSA Freedom melonite mid-lenght upper on a PSA blemished lower with about 200 rounds through it. It has been 100% reliable so far and more than minute of bad guy accurate. I would not hesitate to by another. $150 is a few mags and a couple hundred rounds of ammo.

5 rounds of Freedom munitions 69gr HPBT, 50 yards open sights.
    IMG_20150823_161453007_HDR.jpg

5 rounds 55gr wolf gold FMJ 50 yards open sights.

IMG_20150823_162848256.jpg

9. K. Foster

K. Foster

Maybe it’s just the target but those are the biggest 5.56 holes I’ve ever seen.

10. toofman

toofman

Is rock river still running the sale on their uppers? I sold a varmint upper that I wish I hadn't. Give them a look.

11. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

My PSA uppers have been great and accurate. I only buy the premium ones when on sale. Quality is good, price was great. I've never bought any of their Freedom or PTAC lines.

They had a lot of growing pains but PSA seems to have really buckled down and gotten their act together.

It's pretty nice when you order three blemished lowers and they send one blem and two non blem.

12. GRJfer

GRJfer Hi-tech Redneck

It's plastic type splatter target, that may be why they look like that. They are definitely 223 holes.

13. Chowser

Chowser

I've built a lot of PSA lowers with their parts and have had no issues. All my PSA uppers have either been CHF or premium barrels (all made by FN)

I have not tried their other barrels.

michael_b likes this.
  14. K. Foster

K. Foster

Understood. I wasn’t questioning your honesty, just commenting.:cheers:

Guys, what’s the opinion on the Freedom line? I’m looking at their stainless barreled uppers.

15. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Depends on what you want the rifle to do. If it's a first, only, or defensive rifle, I'd pay the little bit extra for BCM. That said I have a PSA premium midlength kit as my truck gun, and it's worked flawlessly and the accuracy is excellent.

My defensive rifles are BCM and Noveske.

16. Tarant

Tarant

I own a Noveske, so all my tinkering and shooting has been with said rifle. I recently built a AR for a friend using an Anderson lower and a PSA upper and I really couldn't find fault with it. The gas tube was a little bit off center but a little tweaking solved the issue. Has shot hundreds of trouble free rounds through it. Machining and anodizing was clean and even.

17. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

I do not know where he is seeing it for $150, but if he is seeing one for $150, I do not think I would buy it. If it is a PTAC upper, the only thing it may be good for is a range plinker and nothing more.

18. r3dot

r3dot

He was saying the price difference between psa and BCM is $150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  19. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Gotcha. I guess I was unclear on that. After all, it was getting late. The $150 difference is all going to depend on which uppers he is comparing. If the PSA is a Premium upper with one of the FN barrels, it would be well worth getting. If it was a PTAC, no way. If it was a Freedom upper, it would be a coin toss. I cannot argue with BCM quality, but the PSA Premium line is a suitable competitor. It all depends on what the OP wants as far as quality and performance versus price.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  20. DougW

DougW Native Texan