Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, the title wasn't supposed to be in a sarcastic tone, just merely a question. Anyway, I've been doing a lot of reading up on guns lately (a ton on Glocks and 1911's) and It brought a question to mind. How good are glocks as far as guns are concerned? I know that there are different guns that are suited for different things better (I hear a lot about the 1911's in competition shooting just because of their "crisp" trigger break and whatnot) and It made me question how people really value a certain gun; in this case the Glock. I am the proud owner of a Glock 23, 19, and [hopefully soon] a 20. But I've been doing a lot of looking into the 1911's as well (which is why I've been doing a lot of reading into the 1911. <--misc info. So what's everyones thought about the Glock overall as a pistol?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello there. There is nothing wrong with trying diferent guns. For me it depends on what am going to use it for. I love working on 1911's, shooting them and showing off my finish products at the range (i have built two of them). They are fun to shoot at the range and feel good in your hands. However, when it comes to my personnal defense, and the safety of my family I trust the Glock more than any other gun. It has never failed me. My 1911's are reliable also, but with my Glock I feel that sense of reliability and security. In short, I know is always going to bang when I pull the trigger.

·
750 Posts
Glock: Light weight, no sharp edges, reliable, accurate, won't rust, easy to replace parts.

1911: Heavy, plenty of sharp edges, reliable after spending $1000, accurate, will rust unless you slather it in oil, leaks oil, easy to replace parts, unless the parts are hand-fitted.

·
Ελλάδα
397 Posts
Glock's are great firearms as well as many others out there. 1911's in my opinion are less reliable (still reliable guns) than the G21. Different designs and lead to different pros/cons.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
i didn't have any probs with my ria 1911.I don't know about the glock thing tho I go and pick up my g17 tomorrow after work.
I love 1911's they are very beautiful guns something glock will never be able to accomplish.If you are gonna get a 1911 build one thats the way to go

·
Florida Cracker
1,948 Posts
I think it's hard to compare a Glock to a 1911. Glock itself is a brand, and whether it's a G17, G21 or a G-whatever, it's going to be the same as far as quality and feel. 1911's come in many different flavors from my $369 Rock Island up to name your price. I enjoy shooting both of them, but the Glock is much simpler, can be worked on much easier and most everything is a drop-in part, where on a 1911 just about everything has to be custom fit. I like the fact that I can field-strip my Glock in about 5 seconds (I know, I'm slow) whereas my 1911 takes a bit longer and I have to be careful nothing goes flying across the room.

I think this is truly a comparison of apples and oranges...two different things that accomplish the same purpose.

·
Registered
13,427 Posts
it's a great combat type pistol but it sure isn't going to make it in bullseye shooting.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
it's a great combat type pistol but it sure isn't going to make it in bullseye shooting.
The Colt .45 built by a master smith for bulls eye competition, with the right paw on it! Will nibble the ten ring out of a NRA target at 20 yards all day and every day. It will also wear a hole in your jacket (and your hip) a G19 is a very much lighter pistol, you can take a bath in it, a lot have people have done so (not on purpose) and a 2" group at 7 yds is attainable, all day also.

How good are they? Take ten model 17s, take each one down to it's smallest component (spring cups in the firing pin assembly) put them in a box, rebuild them again, they all will work! thats how good Glocks are!

·
Trailer Park Commando
267 Posts
how good are they? well, for me it's just that the pros outweight the cons. i love 1911's, i think the feel better in my hand, are easier to be accurate with, and just have a smooth classiness to them. however, Glocks carry SOOOOO much easier, tolerate tons of neglect, and will pretty much always work no how much abuse they go through.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Glocks are the same quality as HK, SIG, and Walther. Some folks have a problem with them because of the way they work. Glocks are not traditional Double action/single action. They are not idiot proof. If you squeeze the trigger, the weapon will fire. Some folks don't understand that concept. A lot of people don't feel comfortable unless they have to take a gun off "safe" in order to fire. Buy the Glock that fits your hand best. Take it to the range and practice.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think the answer to Glock's quality is on the hips of law enforcement and military personnel around the world. Simplicity, ruggedness, reliability, and ease of maintanence are all important factors when choosing a combat sidearm, or carry gun. It saves time, money, and energy to go with a gun that is easy to operate. There are other great combat handguns out there as well, but when it comes down to business and you don't want your gun rusting or corroding under adverse conditions, Glock is a great choice!

·
Registered
16,889 Posts
Glocks are good enough for me.

I've been shooting handguns for about 25 years now. Owned all sorts of semi auto handguns over the years including several 1911's. I've shot a lot of others that belonged to someone else.

Now Glocks are the only semi auto handgun I own.

·
American
702 Posts
I have completely buried my G19 in the mud with the slide open.

I pulled it out of the mud. Checked the chamber, inserted the mag and the pistol functioned flawlessly for the remainder of the day shooting around 300 rounds.

So I guess it really depends on your definition of "good"

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have not been a Glock owner long...about a year and a half, so my experience with Glock is somewhat limited. During the time I've been a Glock owner, I carry it daily and shoot it several times each month. It is truly my kind of weapon...minimal maintenance and always reliable. I have put over 2500 rounds of various loads through my G23 with no failures of any kind.

Never owned or carried another weapon that required so little care and kept on ticking. Glock may not be the best or the prettiest but I am really happy with it. I'd love to have a Rock Island 1911 but I'm sure I would not carry it daily or shoot it as much but they are sure pretty and they feel great in my hand. I was also fond of the Beretta I carried in the AF and shot it well, but it to is just too heavy for me to carry concealed daily like the Glock.

How good is a Glock....damn good! Of course that is just one man's opinion and your mileage may vary.:cool:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have not been a Glock owner long...about a year and a half, so my experience with Glock is somewhat limited. During the time I've been a Glock owner, I carry it daily and shoot it several times each month. It is truly my kind of weapon...minimal maintenance and always reliable. I have put over 2500 rounds of various loads through my G23 with no failures of any kind.

Never owned or carried another weapon that required so little care and kept on ticking. Glock may not be the best or the prettiest but I am really happy with it. I'd love to have a Rock Island 1911 but I'm sure I would not carry it daily or shoot it as much but they are sure pretty and they feel great in my hand. I was also fond of the Beretta I carried in the AF and shot it well, but it to is just too heavy for me to carry concealed daily like the Glock.

How good is a Glock....damn good! Of course that is just one man's opinion and your mileage may vary.:cool:
Nice picture of an early warning system!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a friend who works at a gun range as an instructor, etc.
He went about trying to determine how long one of his Glock's would work without cleaning - so he shot a lot of ammo through it over several weeks.

He got up to around 3,000 rounds being fired without any gun failures (no cleaning.) After that he got bored and went ahead and cleaned the gun. He never got a dirty gun problem to occur.

I own 3 Glock 19s with some extra magazines. I keep better quality ammo for self defense and cheaper stuff for range ammo.

www.GODLOVESTHEWORLD.COM

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
I didn't buy a Glock for bullseye competition. I bought the Glock, for self defense and work. As long as it will hit the bullseye (COM) that I need to hit, that is all I am woried about. I don't worry about pinpoint accuracy. I want the gun to go ban every time the booger hook hits the bang button, and hit COM. The Glock does that reliably every time.

Thanks...she is a great dog. Only a pup (11 months) and not afraid of the Glock.
Great early warning system. If you decide you don't want her, send her my way. She is a beautiful dog.:wavey:

·
Packers fan
2,478 Posts
Glock: Light weight, no sharp edges, reliable, accurate, won't rust, easy to replace parts.

1911: Heavy, plenty of sharp edges, reliable after spending $1000, accurate, will rust unless you slather it in oil, leaks oil, easy to replace parts, unless the parts are hand-fitted.
1. If you're spending a grand, you're most likely not going to have any sharp edges.

2. Metal rusts, this is no fault of the 1911 design. My 1911's are finished in Black-T and hard chrome. I can run them through the dishwasher without rust, if I want to. It has to do with finish and metal treatments, not the 1911 design itself.

3. I do agree that a reliable 1911 is not cheap. In my opinion, the cheapest reliable 1911 you can get is a new Colt for about $700. Basic, no frills, but you get what you pay for. They are well made. Spend another $300 on new sights and a carry bevel package, maybe spend a bit more on a proper beavertail safety and new hammer, grip safety, and you're good to go.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts