Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...rove_unnecessary_global_lockdowns_143253.html

The whole article is a good read and has some interesting graphs.

Excerpt:

There were, of course, people warning us all along. Among them was as John P.A. Ioannidis of Stanford University School of Medicine, who ranks among the world’s 100 most-cited scientists on Google Scholar. On that pivotal day of March 17 he released an essay titled “A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data” — but it got little attention. Mainstream media was not interested in good news stories or dissenting views. The world instead marched lock step into its man-made calamity.

·
You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,897 Posts
So much of the country is involved in our servive (I meant SERVICE, but the Freudian slip is too good to not share) economy that a real lock down wasn't possible IMHO. Far too many "Essential" workers.

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
I guess the whole world suffered from groupthink and those 2000 people a day dying in the US was just a hoax to get Trump.

Someone must have been really angry with Trump in Italy.

The deniers are worse than the global warming nuts at grasping conspiracy theories.

·
NRA Member
1,252 Posts
When this started, I wondered if the world's response wasn't overdone. Too many unknowns.

In the end, if you're a national politician and you didn't take extreme measures (like other countries; including the source, China) you would later be open to criticism and the national death toll would be laid at your door at the next election.

So, out of an abundance of caution ...

·
Banned
547 Posts
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...rove_unnecessary_global_lockdowns_143253.html

The whole article is a good read and has some interesting graphs.

Excerpt:

There were, of course, people warning us all along. Among them was as John P.A. Ioannidis of Stanford University School of Medicine, who ranks among the world’s 100 most-cited scientists on Google Scholar. On that pivotal day of March 17 he released an essay titled “A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data” — but it got little attention. Mainstream media was not interested in good news stories or dissenting views. The world instead marched lock step into its man-made calamity.
:goodpost:

·
Banned
547 Posts
From the comments:
“I wonder how many people in the world will die from the lock downs. People will die cancer due to missed cancer screenings, they will die of heart disease and strokes from fear of hospitals, they will die of suicide due to isolation depression and financial ruin, they will die of starvation by the millions in Third World countries as America's bread basket is plowed under and its generous people lack the resources to help. This is ridiculous its not a question of life vs money its life vs more life.”

Reactions: Willard and tuica

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Thanks for posting OP... I tend to agree with the article, but at the same time, thewitt post #3 has a good point... Somewhere between the hype and the people who actually died, lies the truth I suppose....

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It's the Y2K problem. If there's an impending breakdown and you take measures to minimize it so that it doesn't manifest in full scale (or at all), people will accuse you of blowing things out of proportion. If you let it run its course, unimpeded, people will accuse you of inaction.

Also known as the IT problem. What the hell is IT good for anyways?

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
I guess the whole world suffered from groupthink and those 2000 people a day dying in the US was just a hoax to get Trump.

The deniers are worse than the global warming nuts at grasping conspiracy theories.
Yes of course...

everyone who sees it differently than you is an idiot and conspiracy nut.

Your fear makes the point of this thread go right over your head every time it comes up. No one doubts that there is a virus, no one denies it can be dangerous, especially to those who are in poor health or old, and no one denies it is killing people.

What I, and many like me are trying to point out is that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. The destruction of the global economy, potentially millions of additional people starving because of that, thousands of businesses failing, millions out of work, the unknown number of people who died because the majority of medical besides emergency and covid was shut down completely, etc., etc. was a terrible trade off.

While this did not start out as a plot against the US or Trump, it has damn well turned into that, and if you care to listen to the idiots on the MSM networks or democrats in congress, that is on full display.

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
It's the Y2K problem. If there's an impending breakdown and you take measures to minimize it so that it doesn't manifest in full scale (or at all), people will accuse you of blowing things out of proportion. If you let it run its course, unimpeded, people will accuse you of inaction.

Also known as the IT problem. What the hell is IT good for anyways?
The difference is that the people working on and warning about Y2K, had good, reliable, actual data, not bad data, and worse simulations, built off bad data.

·
Registered
31,753 Posts
Even by conservative estimates, the odds of COVID-19 death are roughly in line with existing baseline odds of dying in any given year.

"Roughly". The difference being the extra 100,000 people that have died in the last two months, just in the U.S.

So many idiots out there.

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
Even by conservative estimates, the odds of COVID-19 death are roughly in line with existing baseline odds of dying in any given year.

"Roughly". The difference being the extra 100,000 people that have died in the last two months, just in the U.S.

So many idiots out there.
Yeah, here is the Bio of the guy quoted in the excerpt who wrote this: https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17...e-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

C.F. Rehnborg Chair in Disease Prevention, Professor of Medicine, of Epidemiology and Population Health, and (by courtesy) of Biomedical Data Science, and of Statistics; co-Director, Meta-Research Innovation Center at Stanford (METRICS).

Born in New York City in 1965 and raised in Athens, Greece. Valedictorian (1984) at Athens College; National Award of the Greek Mathematical Society (1984); MD (top rank of medical school class) from the National University of Athens in 1990; also received DSc in biopathology from the same institution.

Trained at Harvard and Tufts (internal medicine and infectious diseases), then held positions at NIH, Johns Hopkins and Tufts. Chaired the Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, University of Ioannina Medical School in 1999-2010 while also holding adjunct professor positions at Harvard, Tufts, and Imperial College. Senior Advisor on Knowledge Integration at NCI/NIH (2012-6). Served as President, Society for Research Synthesis Methodology, and editorial board member of many leading journals (including PLoS Medicine, Lancet, Annals of Internal Medicine, JNCI among others) and as Editor-in-Chief of the European Journal of Clinical Investigation (2010-2019).

Delivered ~600 invited and honorary lectures. Recipient of many awards (e.g. European Award for Excellence in Clinical Science [2007], Medal for Distinguished Service, Teachers College, Columbia University [2015], Chanchlani Global Health Award [2017], Epiphany Science Courage Award [2018], Einstein fellow [2018]). Inducted in the Association of American Physicians (2009), European Academy of Cancer Sciences (2010) American Epidemiological Society (2015), European Academy of Sciences and Arts (2015), National Academy of Medicine (2018). Honorary titles from FORTH (2014) and Ioannina (2015), honorary doctorates from Rotterdam (2015), Athens (2017), Tilburg (2019), Edinburgh (2019, ceremony planned for 2020).

Multiple honorary lectureships/visiting professorships (Caltech, Oxford, LSHTM, Yale, U Utah, U Conn, UC Davis, U Penn, Wash U St. Louis, NIH among others). The PLoS Medicine paper on “Why most published research findings are false” has been the most-accessed article in the history of Public Library of Science (~3 million hits). Author of 7 literary books in Greek, three of which were shortlisted for best book of the year Anagnostis awards. Brave Thinker scientist for 2010 according to Atlantic, “may be one of the most influential scientists alive”. Highly Cited Researcher according to Thomson Reuters in both Clinical Medicine and in Social Sciences. Citation indices: h=197, m=7 per Google Scholar. Current citation rate: >4,400 new citations per month (among the 10 scientists worldwide who are currently the most commonly cited, perhaps also the currently most-cited physician).

I consider myself privileged to have learned and to continue to learn from interactions with students and young scientists (of all ages) from all over the world and I love to be constantly reminded that I know next to nothing.

What an idiot that guy is huh?

Get the **** outta here...

·
Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner
14,544 Posts

sheepwitts are worse

·
14,544 Posts
Yes of course...

everyone who sees it differently than you is an idiot and conspiracy nut.

Your fear makes the point of this thread go right over your head every time it comes up. No one doubts that there is a virus, no one denies it can be dangerous, especially to those who are in poor health or old, and no one denies it is killing people.

What I, and many like me are trying to point out is that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. The destruction of the global economy, potentially millions of additional people starving because of that, thousands of businesses failing, millions out of work, the unknown number of people who died because the majority of medical besides emergency and covid was shut down completely, etc., etc. was a terrible trade off.

While this did not start out as a plot against the US or Trump, it has damn well turned into that, and if you care to listen to the idiots on the MSM networks or democrats in congress, that is on full display.
yup, that covers it. it was all jump-through -your-ass-syndrome.

mass fear, instilled by the media, unto the sheep they know they can control. many reside here, such as dimwitt

·
Registered
6,035 Posts

People die every day from preventable causes. It sucks. But nobody is suggesting that we shut down driving cause so many folks die per day from a totally preventable cause.

The initial shut down to try and stave off the over-run of the healthcare system and allow the idiotic bureaucrats in government who’ve spent decades studying lesbian obesity instead of stacking up on testing raw materials, ventilators and other pandemic response items was IMO a decent thing to do. 2 weeks was survivable without a HUGE economic crash. This insane idea that we can’t go back to work till nobody dies is just that INSANE.

There comes a time when the cure is worse than the disease. Let’s assume that at the end of the day 150K people actually die of ChicomFluV19. Actually die of it. Not die with it or during it, but of it.

There are 400MM people living in this country. That death toll is 0.04% of the population. It sucks monkey balls. But is is worth sinking the livelihood of 99.96% of the nation with an economic shutdown coupled with $7TT if additional debt? At what point do you decide that 99.96% is more important than 0.04%?

I certainly hope that if I’m ever in a serious medical situation my doctors decide that 99.96% of me is more important than 0.04%.

·
14,544 Posts
People die every day from preventable causes. It sucks. But nobody is suggesting that we shut down driving cause so many folks die per day from a totally preventable cause.

The initial shut down to try and stave off the over-run of the healthcare system and allow the idiotic bureaucrats in government who’ve spent decades studying lesbian obesity instead of stacking up on testing raw materials, ventilators and other pandemic response items was IMO a decent thing to do. 2 weeks was survivable without a HUGE economic crash. This insane idea that we can’t go back to work till nobody dies is just that INSANE.

There comes a time when the cure is worse than the disease. Let’s assume that at the end of the day 150K people actually die of ChicomFluV19. Actually die of it. Not die with it or during it, but of it.

There are 400MM people living in this country. That death toll is 0.04% of the population. It sucks monkey balls. But is is worth sinking the livelihood of 99.96% of the nation with an economic shutdown coupled with $7TT if additional debt? At what point do you decide that 99.96% is more important than 0.04%?

I certainly hope that if I’m ever in a serious medical situation my doctors decide that 99.96% of me is more important than 0.04%.
dude, with him you are preaching to the Democratic whole

1 - 20 of 20 Posts