How Far Would You Go To Avenge the Death of a Loved One

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LoadToadBoss, Feb 2, 2010.

1. boozer

boozer

The justice system failed me. Now should I sit here and say "Oh well"?

Detective interviewed witnesses by phone.

Coroner destroyed evidence before case was closed. Sent clothing to be cremated with the body, and didn't keep any pathology samples.

No evidence, poor investigation, prime suspect told me three different stories. Sucks.

"Accident".

If the body doesn't have a bullet hole in it, it's an accident, case closed.

Nothing I might do would change anything.

I still have a long way to go. Tomorrow will be easier.

2. CaptCave

CaptCave

thats what he said, but I heard that he sub-contracts :wavey:

3. DoubleDog

DoubleDog Grrrrr.....

Fist I'd have to get the advice of an expert...

Where is OJ Simpson anyway?

DD~

4. glocktecher

glocktecher

I honestly believe all of us can say what we would or would not do, but in the light of day we really don't know.

I have known 3 people who were murdered, and I can not begin to imagine what those here who have had family members muredered have gone through.

I sincerely pray for God's help in your daily lives.

I don't know what I would do.

5. Anglowulf

Anglowulf

Your question got me to thinking...
    I think in the movie, Gibson's research was leading him to the actions of a corporation, which led him to an individual.
    He also did this in "Payback", his phrase was something like " You go high enough, there is always 1".
    Wonder if ol' Mel has something on his mind... I am a big fan.

If a corporation has one of your family in its sights, they often have the law on their side and you are screwed. (Their money is their weapon)
    A corporation can be a soul-less entity, a life of its own, led by an empty suit that reports to a detached board of directors whose only real interest is making money to shareholders.
    Many big corps do pretty well with how they treat people, a few will hurt you if you get in the way. (As in Gibson's movie) In the end, the leader has "plausible deniability".

Long story short, you have to become a criminal to get them. You will most often lose the fight even if you "win".
    If you went into it with that mindset, what does it matter?

6. krush777

krush777

I saw this story. The molester was the kids Karate teacher. And the father was acquitted based on temporary insanity (or some version of it).

7. krush777

krush777

I like your outlook. When James Byrd was murdered in Texas, The White Supremacy Movement attempted to support the killers. The Black Panther movement responded there and was stirring up emotions too. But the White Hat wearing sheriff (Billy Rowles - who I met at a hate crimes class) handled it perfectly. He went directly to the family and stood by their side and all media had to address the family and Sheriff Rowles together. No riots, no retaliation. And this kept the case in the public eye!

8. M1a65

M1a65

Duct tape, wood chipper...

9. Lomez

Lomez Nice guy

cut off hands, feet, *****, tongue, eyes and destroy hearing. worse than death IMO. just need tourniquets and IV fluids. let him live truly helpless and alone until he can figure out how to off himself- in which case those who believe in hell also get that bonus.

10. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Avenge the death of a loved one? No, sir. Not me. I'll leave that to the level heads and even keels of the American justice system. My firearms are purely for self defense and sport shooting, not something like revenge.

:whistling:

11. Elvis Lives

Elvis Lives

similar story with my father. different sitaution.:crying:

all i can tell you that family members make it so he did not breathe again. it made it better to know he is not living.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  12. Rick50

Rick50 average guy

I am sure we would go all the way, but in this day and age ya just cant do that anymore. We have to hang back and let our law agencies take care of it

13. dragon281tx

dragon281tx

I'd go "Law Abiding Citizen" on their ass

14. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Two close family members of mine were brutally murdered in different situations. Neither murderer has been prosecuted. The first murderer was not indicted by the grand jury. The head police officer in that case told me that the prosecuting attorney can structure grand jury hearings in such a way that an indictment will not be forthcoming. The officer said that the DA likes a high percentage of convictions to ensure his re-election. I testified at the grand jury hearing. I still don’t understand how the DA did it, but the questions did seem a little weak. I talked with the DA later and he was quite cavalier and dismissive about the whole thing.

I later discussed the murder with the lead coroner. He confirmed the opinion of the lead police officer. The coroner said there is no way an indictment should not have been returned.

The murderer runs free, but I know that he is in his own personal hell for this crime and for other reasons. He’d probably rather be dead.

The second incident was in my wife’s country. The murder took place in a rural area, where law enforcement is sketchy. You actually have to pay the police to get results. You can also pay ex-military to do your bidding. Witness testimony carries a lot of weight, but no one will testify in this case. Everyone is scared. The murderer escaped to another part of the country, but reappears every so often for some odd reason.

The weak police presence in this rural part of the country gives credibility to vigilantism. There are old style feuds like the Hatfields and McCoys. You can get your justice, but you will always fear retaliation on your family. It is not something to take lightly. It will always haunt you.

LTB, I believe you are a preacher. If you’d like to reply, I would like to hear your thoughts on vengeance in general.

15. fairfax1

fairfax1 NRA Life / VCDL

Still looking hard for the real killers. :whistling:

16. Mnukedude

Mnukedude Lurking

Good point there. Sometimes the seeking of revenge is counterproductive.

Always try to work with the justice system if you can--you can stay out of jail yourself that way.

There is a difference between these two situations. In the first, it is vengeance, pure and simple. Bad stuff has happened to your family, so now you will do bad stuff back. Okay, yes, you are punishing the BG for what he did.

In the second situation, bad stuff has not happened yet, but assuming it is clear that it will, you take violent action to prevent the worst from happening. You essentially trade the BG's life for that of your family. One could argue this as fair considering the BG is the one who decided to create this situation in the first place.

Yours is excellent faith I hope to emulate someday.

Frankly, I don't know for sure what I would do in this situation. The details would be extremely important: How many dead? Who? Why? How?

17. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

Yes, I am a pastor. While we preach the ideal, we live in the ordeal. As a theologian, I would counsel patience in allowing the criminal justice system to do it's work. However, as a man, I also understand that there are overwhelming emotions that accompany a close and tragic loss. One of the stages of grief is Anger. Unbridled anger can lead one to behave in a way contrary to one's faith. The Bible recognizes this and urges believers to "be angry, yet sin not. Do not let the sun go down on your anger." In other words, anger is a natural and normal human emotion. However, no emotion should overwhelm rational thought. Negative emotions should be dealt with in a positive and constructive manner.

After watching several vengeance-themed movies, one of the common elements is rage. Rage over the loss of loved ones and/or rage over the ineptness or corruption of the judicial system (actual or perceived).

Would I be like Neesom's character in Taken? Probably not because I don't have those particular set skills. (I love that line.) Would I be like Bacon's character in Death Sentence and go on a one man killing rampage? Probably not, though I do have those particular set of skills and weaponry. I'm also not an evil genius like Butler's character in Law Abiding Citizen. I would come to my sense long before I would be able to carry out years of meticulous planning. I also can not see myself punishing the innocent for the crimes of the guilty.

Knowing myself, a tragic loss would plunge me into a deep and despairing grief, not motivate me to take revenge.

18. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Having a base in the traditional Christian upbringing I can say Vengeance is not the job of the surviving family members.

That being said under the stress of the situation I cannot say what I would do in the moment of grief. :shocked: :dunno:

19. RightGlock1

RightGlock1

Interesting point LTB.

20. MarkG

MarkG

A couple of comments. Yes, I'm cynical.

We do not have a justice system. We have a legal system. I have very little faith that the system can reliably deliver justice.

"Vengence is mine.", eh? The lord helps those who help themselves. In other words, as someone else noted, he sub-contracts.

As others have noted, there is no rush. Calm down, plan, rehearse. There's no point in ruining your own life and I think, no need.

Just make sure you identify the right person(s).