Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read the thread about the woman being attacked and killed by two black bears in Colorado. We have property in the U P of Michigan and I always carry one of my 9mm's when I'm out in our woods. But, now I'm wondering just how effective my 124 grain Federal HP's might be?
lbm

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'd want something a little bigger for a bear, but it's better than nothing.
You might not put it down with one or two shots, but you'll probably run it off.

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
If that is what you have, 9mm will work. Black bears are not grizzly bears. Most hunting ammunition designed for deer is considered good for black bear. Grizzly / brown bears are a different class, with them you want more.

Reactions: paynter2

·
Why so serious?
65,793 Posts
44 Mag revolver or 10 mm pistol would be much better.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
FMJ would be a better choice than hollow points for bear. My buddy's cousin owns property in Montana. He's been a guide for many years. His recommendation for strictly critter defense is a 12 guage loaded with heavy buckshot.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Director of civil unrest
10,151 Posts
Just read the thread about the woman being attacked and killed by two black bears in Colorado. We have property in the U P of Michigan and I always carry one of my 9mm's when I'm out in our woods. But, now I'm wondering just how effective my 124 grain Federal HP's might be?
lbm
Well, if it's a full size 9mm, rub bacon grease on it and if a bear attacks throw it down, maybe he'll eat it and choke to death.
Seriously, I'd get something much larger. 10mm seems to be popular in AK.. I wouldn't feel under armed with a .357 either.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
9MM is not what I would use for bear. but if you dont want to tote another gun, I think you'd be best served by a heavy for caliber, FMJ or preferably, hard cast bullet
something like this

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
9MM is not what I would use for bear. but if you dont want to tote another gun, I think you'd be best served by a heavy for caliber, FMJ or preferably, hard cast bullet
something like this
My sentiments exactly.

·
****** Viejo
29,407 Posts
The was a thread about a hunting guide killing a bear with a 9mm pistol a while back. However it wouldn't be my first choice. tom. here it is...

·
Huge Member
11,309 Posts
I have black bears on my hunting property in northern Michigan. In 25 years I've only run into them in person once. I do see them all the time on my trail cameras though. I do carry when when out and about, usually a 45acp (hard ball ammo) or 357 mag (hard cast) but a 9mm with ball ammo would work in a pinch. Chances are you'll never run into one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The correct answer is: Very effective for really ticking the bear off! :oops:

We have black bears around here, too. In fact my wife was once kept locked inside a house for more than 3 hours because a black bear was busy raiding garbage cans and roaming through people's open garages in the neighborhood.

That particular bear was hit by a tractor-trailer about a month later and died. The game department weighed in the bear's corpse at an astonishing 835 lb!

Other than this we occasionally have black bears, ranging between 300 and 500 lb, come through the farm every now and then. (Which is the main reason why I use 45 Super, 230 grain, FMJ cartridges in my converted G21, and never go around the farm at night without carrying it with me.)

Reactions: cbetts1

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
.40 S&W is my Woods cal. Specifically G22 w/Win 180gr Bonded JHP. We not only have Black Bear, but Hogs & Coyotes. I do not trust 9mm.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
If 9mm is all you have I'd load it with FMJ and if they make them +P.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I feel completely comfortable carrying a 9mm in the woods around here. We have lots of black bears and I feel a 9mm is sufficient if I ever needed to defend myself against one.

Black bears tend to be very wimpy when shot unlike grizzly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
1 - 20 of 116 Posts