close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How easy is it to set up a print server?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ArmoredSaint, Feb 14, 2005.

1. ArmoredSaint

ArmoredSaint

I have a 10/100 4 port router from my cable modem, is it as easy as buying a $100 print server and connecting it to my printer and it would be seen on my computer?

I'm sure it's probably more complicated than that?

Thanks!

2. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

how about hooking the printer up to your computer and then sharing it?

3. lomfs24

lomfs24

I have done the shared printer thing and it worked good while I had a windows machine that was on all the time. I have not bothered to figure out Samba well enough to share anything but files on my Linux box. After I got rid of the windows machine that was on all the time the printer was shared through my wifes laptop. BIG PROBLEM, if the laptop wasn't on or she had the laptop ANYWHWERE else in the house the printer was not available.

So, I went and got a printserver. You have to have the drivers installed on your computer already, then you have to have printserver software installed on your computer. Your computer does not see the printer as a shared printer on the network, it sees it as a regular printer, you set it as a default etc... and it is always there.
    At least that's how my linksys works.
    It was one of the best moves I have done on my network.
    The setup instructions were very easy and I believe if a monkey looked at the pictures long enough he could set it up inside of a week.

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Absolutely, setting up a print server at home is a piece of cake. You could attach it to one of your computers and then share it but there are drawbacks to that method. It will require that the computer be on when you need to print and whoever is using the computer will notice a slow down whenever a print job is sent to the printer.

Either way you do it you will have to add/setup the printer on every computer on your LAN. The print server will have the necessary software and directions. I have an HP Jetdirect 500X in my home office and both my wife and daughter can print to either of my printers.

5. N2DFire

N2DFire Who Me ???

Pretty much has been thus far (I'm revamping the network @ my Volunteer Rescue Squad Station)

My only issue/question is why $100 for a print server ??
    I bought a TRENDnet TW100-BRF114U 4-Port Cable/DSL Firewall Router with integrated USB Print Server - even after the $10 "handeling fee for orders under $100" - it was only $48.75.

I haven't gotten to the print server set-up portion of my project yet but from reading the instructions it seems easy enough.
    Give me till the end of the week and I should know for sure.

6. jpa

jpa CLM

I have a HP Jetdirect 300 series (external) on my internal network at home. Most I believe are configurable either with an app that runs on your PC after it's connected to your network, or via a web interface. I have it setup with a static ip of 192.168.1.200 and I added a standard TCP/IP port on my Win2000 pcs that will print directly to that IP. You have to install the drivers for the printer (a HP DJ990cxi in my case) and go through the add printer wizard as a local printer.

Start > Settings > Printers
    Add printer wizard
    Local printer (uncheck detect plug and play printers)
    Add port
    Select type of "Standard TCp/IP port"
    type in IP address assigned to print server
    select driver
    Finish.