close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How easy is it to sell a safe?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by emt1581, Feb 15, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm looking at getting a Sturdy Safe for maybe 5-10 years tops. It'll cost me between 3 and 4 grand. When we build/move I want to get rid of it. I'm wondering how easy it'd be to sell it when the time comes?

I know I've read a lot of people that say "Oh you'll get your money back out of it no problem!!" But I've been looking on ebay and craigslist....the ones on ebay aren't selling and the ones on craigslist are going for a few hundred. If they weren't such crappy quality I'd buy one of the cheap ones off of CL and be done with it.

Share your .02.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. maddyfish

maddyfish left this *****

I can only answer for myself, but I would buy a used safe. But I would not pay much for it.

3. jjsobba

jjsobba

It wouldn't bother me to buy a used safe the only problem is moving them. I put mine in the basement of my house when I was building it, so it is permanent.

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i've seen quite a few sell at auctions, most went for around 1000$.

5. texas_rifle

texas_rifle

my personal opinion is with the price of safes now a days buying used is worth very little once you figure in buying it, transporting it, installing it in the new buyers place. why would a buyer go through all that trouble when a they can get a decent/average safe that will be more than enough for most people for under a 700-1000 bucks.

for example a new 24 gun Canon safe at Academy is going for 699.99 plus tax, not even close to the best safe on the market but it offers fire protection, reduced chance of theft from thieves, and a place to keep guns away from young/immature hands so for most people will look at this is all they are looking for with a cheap price tag.

now i think the part where a used safe will keep in price is when you go to sell a house and it already has a safe in it then you might be able to recover most of your cost that way. Since it provides a feature in home shopping that most people are normally are not looking when you are house hunting, so a eye catching item that appeals to them because they can keep their important documents in there, guns, family heirlooms, jewelry, etc with a higher degree level of protection.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  6. hatidua

hatidua

I bought my safe off of craigslist and it was two hours away. It's not like they wear out or anything. If it was within driving range, I'd have no issue buying a used safe but it'd have to be cheaper than buying the same one local and new. Get 100% of your money out of it? not likely, be it a safe/gun/car/broom/etc.

7. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

Any links to these used Sturdy safes?

ebay has 3 results for "sturdy safe", none of which are.

8. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

www.sturdysafe.com

There seems to be a lot of replies saying that they'd buy a used safe but the same people are also saying they'd only buy cheap. This will cost between 3 and 4 grand...I'm not looking to sell it for $2000.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

9. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Well then you shouldn't buy it because you're not going to get $2500-3000 for it.

10. hoffy

hoffy

but I live in the outskirts of Appalachia . One thing you could do is to offer to move it and install included in the price. This is what deters a lot of people from buying them around here, lots of hills and houses on hillsides. If you are getting that good of a safe and installing it your self you will know how to do it. Some buddies and I went on a spree 10-15 years ago and 4 of us bought rather large safes, the heaviest being just over 800 lbs. All our houses were on hill sides, first one took us over 2 hours, using come-alongs, giant appliance trucks, chains, straps, pipes etc. The last one was the worst(mine) and we had ramps and other stuff too and it only took us 45 minutes as we had done 3 already . If you have to haul it up a hill, we would take the front door off of hinges and place a sturdy pipe across door and hook winch up to that. Always bolt down your safe to something, floor joists best, at least metal plates under floor and use carriage bolts so the nuts to unbolt are inside safe. There have been instances where half ton safes (including contents) have been trucked out of a victims house around here. Mine is bolted with many 10 inch lag screws into huge oak floor joists, one advantage of living in an ancient falling down house, floor joists and rafters solid oak. Another option is to get several smaller safes if they are not going to bring that much anyway, but all the more important to bolt them down. The gunshop I worked at back in the '80s would take in clients guns during construction but that was before instant checks and god knows what kind of paper work you would have to do to get them back. I think we charged about 200$ to keep around 100 long guns and pistols for 3-4 months.I know that is probably not an option for you. We booked them in as repairs, not our regular acquisition/disposition bound book. Hope this helped. Good luck.