How does your P99's compare to Glocks ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Overkill338, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Overkill338

Overkill338 9x19 + 1x6 = 200 @ 1250

I know it sounds kind of childish I guess, but I have wanted a P99 since I seen them in "The World Is not Enough". Only thing that detoured me was messing with a SW99 we had at the shop. The slide take down just felt cheap I guess you'd say, as it took a lot of effort to get the slide off per the manuals instructions.

Just wondering if the all German made P99's are better built ?

2. Fireball 57

Fireball 57

I bought one of the earliest P99's-a Shot Show demo from Champion Choice at Camp Perry circa about 1997. It is well made, easy to dissasemble and never had a jacketed bullet through the bore, while being very accurate. The 9mm case is fully supported and unlike the Glock which is not. After about three thousand cast bullets, my trigger is smooth and crisp! Regards
    :)

3. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

The S&W99 and the Walthers take down the same. Actually, Walther makes the frame for S&W, and S&W makes the slide and barrel and some of the guts, I believe.

I think it's a well put together gun.

4. Overkill338

I wasnt trying to insult the SW99 or the P99. Something just didn't feel right about the ones at the shop. We still have one left, a 990 with Night Sights in 9mm. Maybe I should shoot it ;f

5. Fungunner

Fungunner

I chose the P99 in 9 mm over the G19. It was my intent to buy the G19, but something about the ergonomics and design of the P99 caught my eye. I liked the double action trigger and the decock, the replaceable back straps. I also believe I shoot the Walther better. I was so impressed with the 9mm that I bought the .40SW too.

I've since bought the SW99 in .45 (only because Walther wouldn't produce it themselves) and find that it shoots quite well also.

6. habu3

habu3

I have a Glock 23 and a Walther P99. I bought the P99 because it feels really nice in my hand. Having the 3 different sizes for the backstrap means it will fit for just about anyone. My P99 is in 9mm and I have to say that it seems to shoot a bit more accurately than my G23 40S&W. The action on the P99 is very smooth. I have fired over 1000 rounds through it in the month and a half. Okay, the range is close and I like to shoot. I shoot the Glock the same amount.

Tear down for the P99 is very easy. A lot like the Glock. The only thing I might complain about for the P99 is the trigger width. It fits well, and is well placed, but it is a bit wide for my finger. Hey I guess I can't have everything.

All in all, it is an excellent weapon IMO. It is accurate and easy to handle. I also really like the magazine release placed on the trigger guard. It is easier to use, for me anyway, than the Glock release which is on the left side of the grip stock.

Regards.

7. P99ikp5

P99ikp5

Remember that Glock is an older design, so you can expect that Walther has improved what a polymer gun must be...

8. Fenris Wolf

Fenris Wolf Blue Blazer

I prefer the looks of the P99 to the SW99 and I'm a Walther addict, so I couldn't buy the SW99. As far as Glocks go they just don't fit my hand, they feel like a 2x4 to me. YMMV

9. Overkill338

I want the Walther P99 with the Desert Tan frame ;f

10. ShipWreck

I want one too, but they only come w/ the QA trigger. since they didn't release that color here until after they stopped importing the A/S model.

11. Overkill338

What is the differences with the quick action model ? Does it have a better trigger feel ? I checked my buddies distributor, they have one in stock :D

12. MTPD

MTPD

The full size P99/SW99 are about the same size and weight as the Glock 19. All are well made and 100% reliable. The biggest difference, in my experience, is the grip. I personally have never been able to like the odd Glock grip angle or its overly blocky 2x4 "feel". The P99/SW99 grip, on the other hand, feels great, and the angle is similar to my beloved 1911's, Sigs, etc.

13. Mnukedude

Mnukedude Lurking

Comparing the two guns, I would say that for CWP, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Both guns are good, although a P-99 feels slightly better in my hand. For a zombie invasion, the Glock is IMHO, a better choice, because the magazines are less rust prone.

14. thejackbull45

thejackbull45

I have held the QA but not shot one. I like the trigger alot. It feels like the Glock with a short travel.

15. ShipWreck

I held a QA last week and dry fired it. I hated the heavier trigger, myself.... I like the AS much better

16. GLD1980

GLD1980

17. thejackbull45

thejackbull45

Does the P99 have differnent QA triggers? This one felt very light with a very short distance of travel.

I agree its not as short as the SA on a AS but its still very good IMHO.

18. ShipWreck

I guess there might be some room for slight differences. But the one I held last week had a damn heavy trigger.

19. Jur

Jur Nederlander

I shot a P99 just today, I think it's the coolest looking 9mm out there and it shoots better for me than Sig Sauer, Tanfoglio or beretta. It will probably be the next gun I buy after I get my G21.

20. ShipWreck

Did U shoot the AS trigger (double and single action) or the QA trigger?

If it was A/S and you want to buy a new one, you better buy it first. They are no longer being imported and are being closed out everywhere...