close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How does THIS work?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dnwdie, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Dnwdie

Dnwdie

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm not sure, but the only thing it has right is that I'm using XP and Opera.

IGF

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

Because the web server hosting that JPG knows all the info because your browser sends it when requesting the JPG. The only magic is it is creating the JPG on the fly for everyone who "requests" it. Neat trick. Lot of interesting bits going on.

4. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

+1 Your browser gives the web server that information in order to allow the server to determine the best settings to use when dealing with your internet request. The address is included in other places as well. For example, it’s encased within the header of every packet.

This information is not as dangerous as those web pages make them seem.

K

5. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

Your IP address is unique and it tells other computers where you are. When you request a webpage your computer says that your IP (let's say 68.104.67.106) wants to get the information at glocktalk.com (208.67.249.201). That message is relayed through other computers to get to GT. GT sees the request and say "here, 68.104.67.106, this is the data you wanted." Therefore, it is very easy to get this type of information via requests and by using JavaScript and other programming languages.

On a side note, if the IP address is wrong in the pic you're probably behind a router. A router takes a public IP (such as 68.104.67.106) and splits it up into a different subnet schema (such as 192.168.0.x, a private IP). Therefore the server will see that your public IP requested the data but your computer may actually be 192.168.0.2, your private IP, only available to machines behind your router (theoretically, anyway).

6. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

It doesn't even try to guess my OS.

eta: Doesn't recognize Konqueror, my browser, either. Claims it's Mozilla.