Glock Talk banner

how does the FULL FDE Glock 19 finish holding up?

3371 Views 17 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  barbourman04
I just got a Full FDE G19 Gen 4, Haven't got my holster yet but I am curious how does the finish holding up after using the holster. Any one have some pics could show me? very appreciated!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been carrying mine in a IWB for about a year now, very minimal wear, if any. I believe Dub is correct on the cerakote.

dub u an ECU man?
How often do you drew from the holster? I may draw it a lot since I like to clean my house a lot. I really like the color, just got it yesterday.

sorry, I think I am not ECU. What does ECU stands for here?

637 Posts
All holsters will wear the finish , i think kydex wears less than leather

· A Grouchy Old Half-Blind Fat Guy who limps .....
591 Posts
Duplicate Post .... :eek:)

· A Grouchy Old Half-Blind Fat Guy who limps .....
591 Posts
Kydex will eat Cerkote alive. I had a S&W Model 59 Cerakoted and resprung in February of 2014. It was an old Issued Duty Gun that I purchased during the Glock transition in the early 90's. It is a 1976 vintage and was issued to me used, it was pretty rough after many years & miles in an LEO holster.

I had it Cerakoted in Black/Olive, had it dehorned and the hammer bobbed also. Carry it in a Bellyband at 4 o'clock usually, it has been in a Kydex holster only once & the left front edge of the slide is worn slightly. I am very happy with the finish but avoid Kydex with it now.

· Registered
5,798 Posts
Not all Kydex holsters are created equal. I'm a bit picky about the finish on my guns and have been quite pleased with my Cook's brand IWB holster. He uses the trigger guard area for retention rather than the slide. I carried my Springfield XDS for about a year with well over a thousand presentations. The gun looks as new. I bought one for my G27 (flat finish) 2-3 months ago and it still shows no wear with hundreds of draws. It may eventually show light wear, but so far it is as good as the original.

On his FAQ page about half way down is the wear portion.

http://www.cooksholsters.com/faqs/

· Registered
59,814 Posts
... I may draw it a lot since I like to clean my house a lot. ...?
I am curious as to why house cleaning might need a handgun to be drawn repeatedly.

· Registered
192 Posts
I got mine in march. Its my edc and I use a hidden hybrid holster. The first picture is from the leather side of the holster the second is from the kydex side. Based on this, Id say the leather causes more wear. It gets holstered in the morning and unholstered at night and maybe once in the middle of the day if I need to drop a duce. So I'd say it has held up better than I thought it would.

Attachments

· Registered
1,139 Posts
I got mine in march. Its my edc and I use a hidden hybrid holster. The first picture is from the leather side of the holster the second is from the kydex side. Based on this, Id say the leather causes more wear. It gets holstered in the morning and unholstered at night and maybe once in the middle of the day if I need to drop a duce. So I'd say it has held up better than I thought it would.
Not a fair comparison. If the sides were reversed (not practical) the wear could likely be worse. I'd say that is more holster design than material A causing more wear than material B.

· Registered
192 Posts
Not a fair comparison. If the sides were reversed (not practical) the wear could likely be worse. I'd say that is more holster design than material A causing more wear than material B.
if the holster was left handed holster, the wear might be different. But im not left handed. Regardless of that, the hybrid holster design in general is the same. I have 3 different brands. And on all three brands my guns show simular wear. The leather makes more contact with the gun due to the holster being held tight to the body. Leather is also "grippier" and will conform to the gun more than a solid piece of kydex.I can't speak for solid kydex holsters or solid leather holsters. But for the 3 brands that I use, this is my experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.