How does not having the case affect a Glock's value?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by HauntedAlabama, Feb 4, 2010.

1. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

I am sorry if this is not the proper forum to ask this question but I could not figure out which one to ask it in. If I had a Glock I wanted to sell but did not have the original case, manual, etc how much would it affect the price? I looked around and found some cases for around $25 but I do not really want to purchase it just to turn around and sell it. Thanks.

2. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

It may be the difference of $25 give or take a few to some. To me it makes no difference whatsoever.

3. Hackett

Hackett

In my opinion, it's not a big deal.

I am picking up a used 34 on Sat. All I care about is the guns condition and what is coming with it as far as mags, sights, etc. Not having a case matters very little to me.

4. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

It doesn't make a huge difference... but look at it this way. Two guns on the shelf at the gunstore both identical, same number of mags, same number of rounds fired <500 both look LNIB. Both sell for $425.

Gun A has a box and associated factory extras....
    Gun B sits on the shelf with the mags next to it and nothing else...

You walk in and the guy in front picks gun A of the shelf and purchases in front of you... Can you honestly say that you would pay the same price for the exact same gun without the box???

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Those cases were being sold for $18 a (long) while back. I probably purchased 10 or 14.

I also purchased a locking case for $28

'Drew

6. jesse2205

jesse2205

Never sell your glocks :)

7. JadeRaven

JadeRaven

Depends on the buyer. Some could care less, and some will overlook your Glock for another with all the goodies.

Personally when I see one with a box it makes it more desirable. I would be more willing to pay top dollar for one with the box than one without.

Also it can say a lot about how the gun was handled when things like the box are lost.

8. ambluemax

ambluemax

+1. People who are organized enough to keep the box and original paperwork tend to be the kind of people who take care of their stuff. Hard to put a $ value on it though. I wouldn't buy a box just to sell with the gun though...

9. joker42179

joker42179

stick it in cardboard box and you might be able to sell it for more than a new one :supergrin:

10. BuffaloXJ

BuffaloXJ

I've seen G23's without a box selling for $400. And I've seen G23's selling with a box for $400. Even up to $500 used.

Like previously said, I believe that if a person is selling the firearm in the factory case, and was able to keep track of the paperwork and the original factory fired shell casing, then they're a) not selling a stolen gun b) take care of their belongings and c) probably never done anything stupid with that firearm.

So, the WORTH of a firearm with a box, vs without one is quite a bit to me. It's not about the cost of replacing the box or a place to store the firearm.

11. perkins3120

perkins3120

to me its nice to have allt the original stuff but it not a big deal if gun is in good shape i used the soft cases anyways

12. jack76590

jack76590

All things between equal I would say about $10.

13. glock_n_boom

glock_n_boom

Sounds good unless the person simply bought the case and manual "aftermarket" like the OP is asking....then the potential buyer is a bit foolish to assume the gun was taken care of simply because the seller has a case and a manual.

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Yep,........ MINT 2nd Gen models with origional ower's manual and tupperware?!
    I've seen those add about $40-50 to sale price.

15. marv

marv Millennium Member

My guns are in the safe or loaded and stashed in various places including my pocket. The boxes are all in a big box in the basement.

16. bcmclane

bcmclane

Shouldn't make a difference at all. I've got a few dozen cases sitting around that I really want to toss, but can't bring myself to do it.

17. ssfeldjager

ssfeldjager

Who cares about the case? You're buying the Glock, not the case. If you want a case, then buy Samsonite. :whistling:

18. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

If these were collector guns, yes, the original box will add to the value, sometimes substantially.

But these are not collector guns sooo, No, it will not matter now.

But 50 years from now, you had better have kept the original box.

Projectile shooting guns will be banned and they will be worth a fortune. All we will have is non-lethal weapons.:supergrin:

19. fwm

fwm

Agreed. The fact that they kept the box and the manual, as I do, leads me to believe the take the same care with their weapons as I do. (BTW, you can download most manuals from the manufacturer in a PDF. I put the original manual in the box and put them in a safe place, then download and print the PDF manual for the occasional reference.)

Right. If you don't have the original box, a replacement box adds no value to the sale.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  20. Kona2004

Kona2004

Several months ago, I purchased a Mossberg 590A1 at a local dealer. They couldn't find the cardboard box it came in but did have the paperwork and lock that came with it. I couldn't have cared less about the box since it was just going to get thrown away but they knocked $10 off the sale for it. I wouldn't have considered even asking to knock anything off considering it was just cardboard but maybe a Glock box I would have, even though it would just sit in a pile with the rest of them.