close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how does my diet look ?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by harleyfx69, Mar 1, 2010.

1. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

im curious how my overall diet looks to be,

and what i could / should add to it,

i am getting back heavily into running and lifting weights,

my diet generally consists of the following,

breakfast,

rotating days ,

potato fried, 3 bacon, 3 egg omelete with 1/4 bell pepper and 1/4 onion and garlic clove, small amount of cheese, glass of oj or milk occasionally,

on the rotation day either a bagel with cream cheese or a bowl of raisin bran / oats honey cereal with milk

lunch is usually a peanut butter sandwich with a banana

dinner usually consists of a bag of salad and some chicken breast in various forms, whether it be baked / grilled / etc .. about once a week red meat is substituted, also usually ranch and cheese added to the salad,

also daily i have 1 monster energy drink, i know bad, but its really my only vice, along with a couple liters of water,

im not trying to loose or gain weight, its not that big of a deal to me, but i am 6'3" and weigh 245-255

2. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

also if something is totally bad on the list, i suppose it can be taken away, but at the moment its mostly habit

3. Kkille1LSU

Kkille1LSU

I'm no nutritionist, but have taken and STILL taking (won't ever end) many nutrition and biology courses. I know you are trying to be healthy, not losing weight. A Few things:

High Cholesterol: Egg yolks, dairy(cheese), Fried foods
    High Glycemic: Potatoes, white bagel, Raisin Bran
    Misc.: Peanut Butter is good/really good but the "Natural" (oil floating on top) is better for you, but still high in fat and calories. The white bread it sits between= bad
    bananas=awesome.
    Bacon= of course is not very healthy
    Orange Juice= high calories

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  4. BradD

BradD

5. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

oh frogot to mention its on whole wheat bread, i dont eat white bread,

and im on budget so i have to go with whatever is most budgetable from the store for the peanut butter and what not ..

6. michael88

michael88

find a farmers market. We have and our body thanks us....nice link btw.

7. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

but i suppose the bagels are white , never actually realized that before ..

also i need to keep my calories up at a pretty good level so i have the energy to work out, along with minimal weight loss, but i dont like empty calories , short of the monster,

i looked at that website and it recomends what is out of season at the moment ,

and i cant afford to buy the stuff at its peak price, only when it goes on sale, and at that point its only one or two meals worth before it goes bad..

guess i will try to cut down to 1/2 potato and add in the bowl of cereal to the meal every day ,

what about good carbohydrates ?

8. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

like i said at the moment i am stuck with eating as healthy as i can out of a conventional grocery store, as we dont have a large budget for food,

9. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Whole wheat bread is still a processed food. It is slightly better than white bread, but not much.

Atleast try to buy Smart Balance peanut butter. Most stores should have it.

Scrap the Monster junk completly. Just do it please.

Are you eating sweet potatoes or white potatoes?

10. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i believe they are russet potato's,

i cant stand sweet potato's , they just dont go well with me

11. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

Things aren't looking too great there, given, I'm not a dietician, but basic common sense tells me these things.

Fried potatoes - greasy (fatty)
    Bacon - greasy (fatty)
    Eggs - high cholesterol
    Ranch - fatty
    Cream cheese - fatty

The above are just fine in moderation, but don't view them as "healthy." Yes, you need to eat, especially if you are working out. But there are some missing definitions, such as what does "some chicken breast" mean? Are you talking an entire breast portion, or two? "A little cheese" - Check the back of the package for suggested serving sizes. Just how big is a "bag of salad?" You'd be surprised at how far a little cheese goes in making things go from a respectable well rounded meal, to heart attack special.

Seems like you are missing out on some vitamins there as well. I'd suggest adding in more fruits and definitely vegetables (not fried). Put a few fruits in to every meal (you have lunch down just fine). Steamed vegetables are also pretty awesome, and raw vegetables work well as take along lunches. Add in a daily vitamin supplement to help balance things out.

Take one egg out of the morning omelete. Use leaner ham instead of bacon. Have a raisin cinnomen bagel, and cut out the cream cheese, or if you absolutely require cream cheese, spread it on thinner.

I am also confused as to how you'd choose such a diet with the intention of maintaining weight? You're gigantic (not gigantic fat, but over all a big dude. **This coming from a fairly tiny individual), and at that size, your body uses a higher amount of energy just existing. If you actually stick to that diet, you will lose weight pretty quickly, but your body will be malnourished. You'll start feeling kinda sickly, and with the massive caffiene intake, with the added ginseng/guarine/whatever else is new that they put in the energy drinks, it's going to be pretty rough on your system.

12. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

with the bag of salad, i usually eat those packaged 99 cent salads that come with some carrots and a couple different types of lettuce,

some cheese is about a 1/2 cup of shredded cheese,

chicken is generally a chicken breast,

and the beef is generally a large portion 12-14 ounces lean steak,

and its not particularly a chosen diet,

just what im trying to change to become a bit healthier food intake ..

13. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

I like the bags of pre-cooked frozen mesquite chicken breasts from Sam's Club. $10 gets a bag of 10-12 breasts. Tasty, healthy food at a good price.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010