close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How does an XD compair to a Glock?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 7.62FMJ, Jan 23, 2010.

1. 7.62FMJ

7.62FMJ

Seeing we have tons of XD advertisements here got me curious, how does the XDm compare to say a Glock 19? I did a ton of research before acquiring my first G19 a decade ago. It was at the time, the narrowest, most compact 15+1 capacity firearm on the market. I still believe this to be true a decade later. Does anyone else make a more compact 15+1 capacity 9mm?

2. abedwards1978

abedwards1978

i have a xdm 9mm and a glock 19 and i love both of them! i use the glock 19 for ccw carry and xdm for home defense. i will give an edge to glock for all the customs you can do too it! Both are great guns in my opinion!

3. Lomez

Lomez Nice guy

4. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

A keltec P11 is thinner than a Glock...add a 30 rnd S&W Model 59 mag, and yer good to go.

5. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

the XD is a bit more modular, possibly not with the 4th gen Glock coming out, and out of the box, the XD trigger feels smoother to me but the Glock seems to have more aftermarket suport

6. G17Mike

G17Mike

I have an XDm 9mm and a Glock 17, and both are stock. I prefer the Glock trigger over the XDm. The XDm trigger feels mushy to me. Just my .02

7. jhayesvw

jhayesvw

the XD is a Single Action trigger which is why it is smoother.
    however, the pull length is just as long feeling as the glock, maybe farther.

it is slightly more complicated than the Glock, but is IMO on par quality wise.

i would not have a problem with an XD or an XDM, but i like my glocks because of how easy they are to mod and they stay reliable.

8. opskmallory

opskmallory

The XDm is a bit bigger than a G19. The XDm is more comparable to the G17 & 22's. As for which is better. Neither are better. Though some argue with the improvements the XDm made over the original XD, that it would logically be better. But as stated in the video, you really just need to shoot them both and decide. Both have their good and both have their bad and ultimately, it comes down to preference.

Personally, I prefer XDs and did not care for Glocks for a while. When issued a G22 at work, shooting it all through the academy, and several times a year at training, I've warmed up to it. I rather enjoy it, and shoot superior qualifications consistently. It's a good gun; reliable, accurate, and there are a lot of options and accessories for it.

Prior to being a police officer, I carried an XD40, and later traded it in for an XD9 and purchased an XD40 sub-compact for off-duty carry. I shoot the XDs almost as good as the G22, but not as often (gotta pay for that ammo). I prefer the grip angle and the trigger of the XD. Holsters at the time were not as easy to find, though that is now changing. However, accessories for the XDm are not going to be on par with the original XD series just becuase of how new the XDm is.

I currently have no XD's, because it made more sense to make my off-duty guns G23 & 27. But there are plans to pickup an XDm in the future. If I could choose what to carry at work, it would be an XD. For no particular reason other than, I personally prefer their feature set. That's just me.

As to why Springfield advertises at Glocktalk, that's just business. Both guns are great. I'm sure the marketing people figure that if people like one tupperware gun, they will like another tupperware gun. I think years ago there was a lot of Glock vs. XD mentality. Nowadays it's more of a Glock and XD mentality. Many people at least respect the other gun as being a good pistol, if they don't already own at least one of each.

9. PoiDog

PoiDog Gun Cultured

Glocks don't seem to fit my hands well, so I'm Glockless right now.

I have two XDs, and they feel better to me. I have nothing at all against Glocks, they work just fine.

Just don't fit my hands. I have smaller hands for somebody my size, maybe that has something to do with it.

Go with what fits you, simple enough.

10. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

I like them both, and I own both, and I feel well armed with either.

11. 7.62FMJ

7.62FMJ

Isn't the XD considerably wider than the Glock? If so then how does it fit your hand better?

FYI- thank you guys for the feedback. I'm just weighing this out. If XD made one with a safety then I might go for it. I know they made a .45 variant with a safety but not sure what else. I know some people love to have a 4.5-5lb trigger standing between them and the barrel pointed at their junk. Not me. I carry my Glock's with an empty chamber because of this and haven't mentally been able to get around it. This is my only interest in the XD was hearing that some were made with a safety. However from what I've personally handled, they seem far more heavier, top heavy, and chunky compaired to a Glock.

12. AltiDude

AltiDude

Glock owners get into heaven no questions asked.

13. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

My G22 was a great gun, but probably a bad choice, I bought it before Ohio had CCH or I would have bought a G19 and probably would still have it. Anyway, I decided I wanted a smaller gun so I went to a gunshow to trade the G22 in on a G26. But when I handled the G26 I hated the feel of the gun in my hand, it was like a bar of soap that has been used enough to be rounded off and slick. While there I saw an XD9 Sc and picked it up and the difference was amazing, the ergonomics of the grip just seemed to lock it into my hand. I really was blown away by the difference. So I made a very good trade, (thank you Shooters Supply) and became an XD owner. But the XD is still a fat and bulky gun and my particular gun had horrible overtravel in the trigger. At the moment of release the trigger just seemed to drop out from under my finger and I was having a real hard time with low left shots due to the movement. So, between the two issues, the width and the poor trigger when a friend got his CCH and was looking for a 9mm, I made him an offer and so far as I know he has been happy with the gun and I laid the money back and bought a 4" 1911 a few months later. IMHO, that is the scoop on the XD, great ergonomics, reliability and good absolute accuracy but it's bulky and try the trigger before you buy because you may or may not be able to achieve the accuracy that the gun is capable of. Oh, almost forgot, it has a grip or drop safety, but on mine it was almost impossible to grip the gun at all without depressing it, so it really is a drop safety IMHO.

14. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

I don't know the people you hang out with but I don't know anyone who walks around with a gun pointed at their "junk". :dunno:

15. smullen

smullen

hehehe, That video cracks me up...
    Anyway, I like them both... I think its really personal pref...

I bought a G21, then a XD-M 40, then a G35...

Shoot'em both, see which works best for you....

16. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

No, it's not.

Maybe they're waiting for it to make, "One false move", so they can blast it.