close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you.......

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Jul 21, 2006.

1. pascal

pascal

Hello,
    How do you burn an .iso file correctly to disc? Am downloading DSL 3.0.1 and wish to get a installable CD.
    Any help appreciated!
    pascal

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Most CD burning utilities have an option to burn images. Which program are you using?

3. pascal

pascal

Using NTI CD & DVD-MAKER 7. There are alot of options!!!??
    Can you help? Thanks
    pascal

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The term for an iso in burning program varies. iso,cd image,DAO(disk at once),there may be a few others.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Hmmmm reading some of the complaints/reviews at Download.com, some suggest spyware, etc, but I've yet to have a problem like that, unless I have a different version than what is hosted there...

Proceed with caution, might want to look at the one DC posted.

IGF

8. pascal

pascal

Howdy Gentlemen,
    I don't know what is wrong. I seem to have downloaded the iso. I found under Data CD a create disc from iso disc image file. Using their defaults I burn the disc. When I boot 1st to CDRom on my W2K it falls through to W2K. Looking at the disc show a Knoppix directory, boot directory etc. Won't boot. Any ideas as the pure light of knowledge and experience pour through your keyboards.
    pascal
    BTW Might have try one of those mentioned programs.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I take it your BIOS is set to boot from the CD first.If you have more than one CD drive the CD must be in the Master CD drive.Do not use a CD-RW as these normally won't boot.Usually a CD-R is required.Some Linux CD's won't boot on all CD drve or PC's.These require a boot floppy.How old is your PC?

10. pascal

pascal

Ah ha!!! That may be the problem, i'm using RW's. Cool! I'll get some R and give it a try. Thanks for the insight.
    pascal

11. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I use Nero BR 6.xx for my .iso burning needs.

On CD-Rs...NOT RWs.

12. pascal

pascal

Hello fastvfr,
    To answer a previous question, the computer is a home built 600Mhz Athlon. 4 years old at the least with upgrades along the way.
    Gonna have to buy me some CD-R's. Redownloaded the file in case....
    Take care!
    pascal

13. pascal

pascal

Success! That CD-R use did the trick. Now have DSL running on my athlon. Each success drives me further down the road to chaos.
    1. What is the password for the su command on a Live CD??
    2. In Terminal, sudo cfdisk produces a Bad primary partition 1: enlarged logical partition overlap. When playing with the Fedora install at the partitioning section it mentioned multiple errors that might be fixable in the boot loader. I have W2K on about 39Gb and 50Gb left for a linux install. Can I fix this without wiping out the 2 day W2K reinstall?????????? On normal booting I don't see any boot loader, it just goes to Windows.
    3. I'm using Netscape which has it's own loader/dialer. How can I connect thru DSLinux to the net? Are there any free services I might connect to??
    Thanks for any assistance.
    pascal

14. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Oh yes using software dial up modems isn't easy in Linux.Damn Small Linux has the best software modem support.The best dial up modems for Linux are hardware modem.Any good external modem should work.Many software modem are suppose to work with Damn Small Linux.

I haven't had much luck resizing Windows partition without reinstalling.

Now for passwords,I think DSL doesn't have one.It's automatically root until installed on heard drive so just su alone should work.Password on Ubuntu might be "root" but I don't know.cfdisk might not be in DSL.There is a less powerful,more difficult to use "fdisk".Which live CD are you trying cfdisk?sudo normally works but varies with distro.

15. pascal

pascal

Howdy,
    I'm using the Damn Small Linux 3.0.1. Tried the "sudo cfdisk" with the previously described results. Thought that would be the case with the root password and the Live CD.
    In reference to the modem there is a config program to connect but I am not conversant with the terminology or even where to get the answers. Netscape loads itself and it's dialer, conflicting with programs that try to dial out and use the Windows dialer. Work around is just to be online when these programs are run. Can't do that with linux. The config asks in the DialUp-PPP for a name, Static/Dynamic or DNS handled by other means. Then an authentification method PAP (Peer Authentication Protocol), Chat (use "chat" for login:/password: authentication) or CHAP (Crypto Handshake Auth Protocol). It then subdivides and multiplies the difficulty. Any thoughts/strategies/ideas??
    pascal

16. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

A lot of the software dial up modems aren't supported at all in Linux.Certains ones are supported by Damn Small Linux.The most popular ones anyway.I haven't set up sial up in a long time.You can watch when Damn Small Linux boots if it loads "Lucent modem" o something like that.That would only be if that's the modem you have.I don't know if it supports others.If that fails an external modem will be required(hardware modem).I'm not certa but I think there is no root password in DSL.Just type"su" press enter then type "cfdisk".See if this works.

17. pascal

pascal

Hi!
    I felt that there was a more fundamental problem to my installs, and the partitioning debacle. So I am forcing W2K to format the full drive and then reinstall (practice makes permanent). With the various linuxs/NT4 & Windows I think the drive was a little scrambled. Once done with the re-reinstall I should be able to partition with the Linux. Hope that cfdisk is easier than the fdisk looked. Also downloading that Linux you mentioned in another thread. Should take a couple days......
    Wish there was a regular dial-up free online trial or something to try out the linux with. If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets -paraphrase.
    pascal

18. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

cfisk is much easier than fdisk.Use the up-down arrows to highlight.then press Enter to set it.It will promt you to comfirm by typing "yes" them pres Enter.It is easier to partition with cfisk fiest then install Windows.When you highlight "type" you go through a menu with Windows or FAT 32.The Windows CD will only see the Windows partition.On that size drive make a Linux swap partition of 1BG and the primary Linux partition whatever size you want for the OS.I guess your internet phone connection will be busy for a while.A full CD is 700MB.

19. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Cool! Now...it isn't the dialer, bud.

As for the modem, WinModem drivers use .dll's to access system resources through the OS. Not gonna happen in Linux--you need a Hardware Modem to dial up, most times.

SUDO PASSWORD will (usually) let you set the password yourself. This is the case with Knoppix Debian, anyhow.

When installing Linux, I always recommend a spare HDD for n00bs (no offense!)

This is because you need two, and preferrably three, partitions to install Linux onto.

One is for the root and one is for the swapfile.

I prefer to set up FOUR parts for each kernel, myself... /, /home, /swap and one spare for archiving the fresh install's guttyworks.

That way, when you break an install while updating or installing a real vid driver ect. you just copy the contents of the archived file onto the busted files--INSTANT system restore that works every time.

This also precludes worries about intrusions--anything that is changed can be changed right back. :cool:

20. pascal

pascal

Hello fastvfr,
    Cool indeed! I think with the repetition from you and the other knowledgable members I recall the WinModem thing. So I can and will not be able to access dial-up no matter how good an install I do or what release I use.
    :upeyes:
    During linux install/partition attempts subsequent to completly reinstalling W2K with a full drive partition, I was getting (to me) cryptic error messages still. Fedora said there was some problem with the drive/fat whatever and DSL said it couldn't read/access the drive for partition or install. It seemed like something got left behind in the boot record of the drive. I did a 'fixmbr' in the recovery console (I sure hope successfully). Does this line of thinking seem valid for those who know what their doing????????
    Please respond with kind thoughts/wishes/karma and info, huh please!
    pascal