How Do You Use A Military Ranging Reticule? (IOR)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by space_weazel, Feb 15, 2010.

1. space_weazel

space_weazel

I got an IOR 6x30 scope with ranging reticule, what I can't figure out is what the ranging lines represent specifically. Is it the average human torso / torso and head / head to toe? what portion of a man is it designed for? and I assume this is based on a person approximately 6 feet (180cm) high?

For reference it is this reticule.
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Contact IOR. Strada lines like that can be different on different scopes.

3. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

They set them up different for caliber and barrel length...

4. space_weazel

space_weazel

I know it's camed for .308 but I don't know what length barrel, I've got it on my 18" FAL at the moment.

5. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

Yes, the cam, but not the reticle.

Caliber/barrel/etc would have no influence in the ranging feature of the reticle. Similar reticules can be found in binoculars even.
    [​IMG]

Obviously the "8,6,4,2" would be x100 meters, and the MP-9 is reportedly patterned for bracketing a 1.7m target(5'7" human), which is the average global height of men.

So head-to-toe.

6. rbrtweber85

rbrtweber85

It works two ways, basically the same principle as ranging with a duplex reticle.

Get a mil dot reticle it's easier.

Height of Target in yards X 1000
    ___________________________ = Range to Target in yards

Height of Target in Mils

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  7. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Mildot has it's application, but the Dragunov type waterfall range estimation reticle is more geared towards DMR use than snipers and math majors. ;)

8. space_weazel

space_weazel

Thanks, I will have to get a Man-alolg and try it out at various places and see if I can accurately compensate.

9. Novocaine

Novocaine

It's a NATO reticule, it doesn't work like Dragunov. Dragunov uses average human male height for reference and you read the distance in meters X100. The way NATO rangefinder works is (as I understand it) you use the target of any size and you read the distance in “target sizes” X100.

Say, your target’s actual size is 36 inches (1 yard) and, when looked through the scope, it fits snugly between "2" hash marks. The distance to the target will be 200 yards. If your target is 1 meter high, the distance will be 200 meters. If your target is a human (1.7 meters) the distance will be 200 "humans" (200 X 1.7 meters). And so on.

So for your convenience you should use whatever units your cam is calibrated in. If it is in yards you should use 36" targets as your ranging reference. If it is in meters you should use 1 meter targets.

BTW if you fit your target between the center of the reticule and the tip of a thick bar the target will be 100 "target sizes" away.

10. Novocaine

Novocaine

Let's look at the example that you posted. The door roughly fits between the tips of two thick bars. If it would fit between the center point and the tip of a thick bar it would be 100 "door widths" away. But since it looks to us twice larger it means it is twice closer. So the target is 50 "door widths" away. The average door is 36 inches or 1 yard wide. The range is 50 yards.

This being US and all a lot of architectural features are built in even feet. Helps.

11. space_weazel

space_weazel

Crap now, I'm confused.....
    Give me a few minutes to work through that.