close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how do you store your weapon on the go?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by dregotglock, Feb 27, 2010.

1. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

Hello all...

I tried to search several times but keep getting an error on this request for some reason :dunno:

Recently I have had to visit a family in the hospital for the past several weeks (3-4x week) and can not ccw there. Normally I do not visit places that do not allow so this is new to me at this point.

I am looking for ideas on how to store my weapon when I have to enter a Fed building, Hospital etc. There was a box lock system that seemed to snake thru and attach to the bottom of the car seat via cable (found somewhere but can not find it now:faint:.

It looked like it was a metal case that connected to the inside of the box and then wrapped around the front car seat where it bolted to the underbody. Not looking to spend a lot on this as I rarely go that ccw is not allowed... can anyone point me in the direction of someplace to get something like this?

Thanks all.

2. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

There are TONS of portable safes, especially for cars. Most have cables that can be anchored to the seat frame or other fixed structure in the car. Prices can range from $30 to $200. And, of course, the quality of construction varies with the price. I recently researched this very thing, as I need something for when I travel. I went to the high end and just ordered a Gunvault Microvault (about $200 for the biometric version). Gunvault also just released the Nanovault, which is far less money (about $40 but not nearly the same quality / security). www.gunvault.com.

Nanovault:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Microvault:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This site may help you, too, as it offers a variety of solutions: http://www.center-of-mass.com/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010

3. Combatcomm

Combatcomm

I made one for less the $25. I went to Academy sporting goods and bought their $20 nice lock box for guns has 2 shelves in side. I went to Lowes and bought the metal wire cable that would fit through the holes that were already in the box. I then bought the torrets for the wire and made a loop on each end for the lock to go through . (Make sure you put it through the box first as the loops will not fit through the hole) :wavey:

4. MO's Dink

MO's Dink Giant Member

[​IMG]

I think you mean these. They are called Secure It.Cabelas website would be a good start.

5. LApm9

LApm9 Silver Member

As a thief wouldn't want to spend a lot of time working on getting your weapon loose, a chain dog collar and a small padlock might do the trick if you wanted to go cheap. Just run the chain through the trigger guard and secure to an out of the way place.

The next level up is to get a length of plastic covered braided steel cable at the hardware store and a couple of "hammer on" ferrules. Make a loop on each end and get a hardened shackle padlock to secure. Cutting braided steel cable is an exercise in patience...note the process at the hardware store.

6. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I have not been to a spot yet in the last 1 1/2 years since I started carrying that I was not legally allowed to carry in. However, I just bought a standard U-Bolt type rubber coated bicycle lock at the local Wally World.

I tried it out and it work great. All I do is unload the weapon, lock open the action, then run one side of the lock through the grip of the gun and opened slide. Then just lock the bar on the end of it.

I lock it this way around the seat frame out of sight in my truck. It keeps the gun secure while unloaded. If a thief wanted to remove the lock quickly, then they would need to destroy a potion of the gun which would make it inoperable for them to use in a bad way. At that point, I would not be concerned of them doing something awful with my gun. I would just be upset that it was stolen.

The lock was $10 and it does have a rubberized coating that will not scratch the finish on your firearm. I like you, did not want to spend a lot on a vehicle safe only because I do not have to disarm often enough to justify spending a ton of money on something. However, the way I do it keeps the gun plenty secure from a standard smash and grab.

7. gringogigante

gringogigante

Hi dregotglock,

Why couldn't you carry in the hospital? Did they post a 30.06 sign? Remember that it is legal to carry in hospitals unless it's posted per 46.035 (i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

thanks!

8. Jestur

Jestur

How about using the cable lock that came with your gun. Run the cable through the locked action of the gun and lock it around seat frame or other permanent structure of the interior of your car.

9. gringogigante

gringogigante

Way to think outside the box! That's a great idea....easy, cheap, low maintenance.....cool. :notworthy:

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I have a lockbox in my truck. Not quite exactly what I would like,
    but better than under the seat or in glovebox.

11. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

My understanding of 46.035 (4) lists hospitals as a no go. If I am wrong though please let me know as I dont like the area the hospitals are in here in DFW.

"on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the licensed holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate:,

I like the idea of always keeping KISS but I also want my weapon to be kept secure completely. Not just the frame - I know this is a mute point as it can not be fired, but I would like to keep the entire weapon from prying eyes and keep hands off.

Snubfan - tks that is the exact one I was looking at.

12. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Certainly, that will secure the gun. Of course, you'll have to strip the magazine and empty the chamber. And, then you'll need to secure the magazine and ammo. It will work, but it will take a bit of time.

I prefer to be able to go from holster to a locked container of some kind in a few seconds - which is why I ordered the Microvault last night. :) And, I want something I can use in hotels when traveling.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  13. gringogigante

gringogigante

Dregotglock,

Give me a call. It will be easier to explain over the phone. 2-284-7439.

the very short version is that 46.035 (b)(4) says you cannot carry in a hospital. Then later in 46.035 section (i), it says that the hospitals in (b)(4) "do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06".

So, it IS LEGAL to carry in hospitals, amusement parks, church, or government meeting.

I'll be out of pocket from 5:45 - 10. But before or after that is great.

Chris

14. georgewain

georgewain

I just got a car gun safe from http://www.center-of-mass.com/index.htm . Only 3 days from ordering to delivery!
    Only $40 including S&H.

This is just what I wanted for those times when I cant carry my Glock.

15. FAS1

FAS1

Ours isn't designed to be portable and the Simplex lock alone costs more than alot of these portable light duty boxes cost. If you have the space and want something more secure you can look at this:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1156669

If it's something you would use on a regular basis, it is worth the peace of mind when you need to leave you gun in your vehicle.

Attached Files:

16. wardboy5

wardboy5

Yep, thats how I do it. Same setup works in many other environments as well.

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I put it in the glove compartment or center console, where I keep a gun 24/7 anyhow, as I have for the past 23 years.