How do you store your early Gen 1s?

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by glockhoarder, Jun 19, 2020.

1. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I am debating on the best way to store my early Gen 1s for which I have the original boxes. As we all know over time the plastic contact points make seemingly permanent marks on the finish of the slide. (Wonder exactly why that is.).

I really like having the guns in the original boxes. Also, they store well.

I was thinking about putting archival felt over these contact points. That's likely the easiest thing to do.

Do you guys store your early guns in the boxes or separately?

hrt4me and davedc like this.
  2. 58sniper

58sniper

I've thought about putting something down, just never figured out what.

3. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I ordered some archival felt from Gaylord Archival months ago for just this purpose. It's been sitting in my office in the box ever since. I have simply got to get around to this. I'm sure that there is plenty in here for me to send you some.

Screenshot_20200619-223717_Gallery.jpg

58sniper likes this.
  4. mtstream

mtstream

I have assumed (possibly incorrectly) that it was a combination of the box flexing when picked up/moved that caused those little posts to rub the finish in addition to taking the gun in/out.

Because of that assumption, I don’t store in the box. I’ve been using Blueguard VCI bags for storage https://www.bluguardvci.com/anti-corrosion-bags

Noth the greatest when you want to show someone the guns though. :dunno:

-JCN- and 58sniper like this.
  5. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

I have mine in racks in a safe. The boxes are stored behind them (because apparently they're worth as much as the guns now). I also have a couple VCI blocks in the safe and am always running a dehumidifier in the gun room (Tulsa can be pretty muggy). The Glocks are easier to take care of than my blued Smiths and Colts--pretty hard to rust the tennifer.
    But in regards to the boxes, I took them out because of the rub marks. I've heard wax paper does well if you want to leave them in.

58sniper likes this.
  6. Gokyo

Gokyo

You guys and you 1st gens.....? You do know Glock is just about the most widely distributed mass marketed item ever.

I understand there is an allure to the 1st gens and since I own 3 of them maybe I have scratched that itch.

I admit I like the 1st gen grips best. But the way people react to 1st gens is crazy.

I keep mine under a paver in the back yard wrapped in a uncured deer skin.

VTEC214, G19Tony and patcrad like this.
  7. patcrad

patcrad

I recently patented a homeostatic cryopreservation process for storing 1st Generation Glock 17s in their original box. I can't get into the details, but we first pressurize the box and pistol with saturated steam at 121 °C (250 °F) for around 15–20 minutes to completely sterilize the two units while in symbiosis, which allows for proper adhesion during the next phase of the process. Next, we submerge the box and pistol as one unit into a biologically neutral cryoprotectant (a patented viscus gel), which is then cryogenically frozen to −320.8 °F or 77.1 K. This will allow for the storage of both items in a neutral state for 10 millennia.

Here are some recent Gen 1 Glocks going into our patented cryogenic storage:

16696287722_e898a88389_k.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  8. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Thanks for the tips guys. In particular Gokyo's post is immensely valuable (one day I really will stop feeding the trolls. Can't help myself).

I like Pat's method. Simple and effective.

Seriously though...

1) There are only marking issues with the very early G1 boxes. Is that correct? I haven't seen marks with later tupperware.

2) I hadn't thought about the marks due to movement or flexing. They I thought that it was some sort of reaction over time. It's so consistent - even on guns that have sat flat in a safe for decades.

3) I am also concerned with staking and pressure on the labels of the AFs, pre-US import guns and the "Best of" stickers.

4) The easy thing is to store the guns separately. However, I can't think of a way to store the guns themselves in vaults in any efficient manner.

5) I have a very early gun with felt over the areas that mark. Nothing whatsoever on the gun.

6) The wax paper idea is great. Inert material. Makes sense.

7) I was also going to cut sheets of archival document holders to place in between boxes that are stacked that have stickers on them. Still, the pressure on the labels concerns me.

8) Guys be very careful of VCI and paper. VCI is great for guns but bad for paper - labels, manuals, other documents in the safe, etc.

9) Also, be very careful w/the humidity. Very low humidity is great for most guns (not with wooden parts though). It's very bad for paper. Paper of all kinds does best with 40-50% humidity.

10) The best solution would be a beautiful walk in gun room, climate controlled with a table in the middle to look at the guns and a nearby bar with fine Scotches. Like HKs Grey Room but much nicer. The guns (all, not just the Glocks) could hang on the wall with only the frames touching the pegs, place to display the boxes below in a climate controlled case. All I'm missing in a single winning lottery ticket. Damn!

11) Looking forward to more posts please from the others with early guns. Gokyo - there is so much intellect in your thoughtful post that one is enough. I can only take so much brilliance at a time. You are the Master of all Sir.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I keep mine under the seat of my truck. That way if somebody breaks in, they're not stealing one of my new Glocks.

10. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I have a GREAT deal for you Sir. I'll trade you any available brand new Glock of your choice for your early Gen 1. I pay shipping and transfer both ways. Waiting for the pm. Just the generous kind of guy that I am.

11. Crane1

Crane1

As mine is a carry gun, I store it in the holster inside a gun rug.

glock1097 likes this.
  12. patcrad

patcrad

Actually, I just store mine together (in the box) in a Class 6 drawer safe. With the drawers, I can see all of the labels easily and access them with minimal "jostling." I do make sure to clean the boxes before storage, so that there is no dirt, grit, or debris to rub the wear marks on the slide. I haven't gotten around to placing the cleaning patches or felt in those areas, like Ive seen on some in the forum. I'd be very interested in seeing what the felt looks like, and how it works.

glockhoarder likes this.
  13. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Could not agree more. Makes zero sense. But to each their own of course

I still have my very first Glock. BZ prefix. Bought new. Still shoot it sometimes. Would never carry it.

14. Bradley T

Bradley T

I keep mine right next to where I sleep. It does sit on one of those old silicon gun cloths. I have a nice little place for it, where an intruder probably would never see it til it's in my hand aimed their direction!
    I have all three of my GSSF competition guns (Stock, Pocket, Rimfire) in arm's reach on any given night!

15. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

If I have time I'll work on this today and will post pics of the one w felt.

Jayman28 likes this.
  16. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Has anyone ever seen marks on the slides from this piece in the later Tupperware?

Screenshot_20200620-145719_Gallery.jpg

17. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I'm cutting archival sheet protectors to put overtop of any boxes that have important labels. I still don't like having the weight when the labels but at least this will protect them from any type of reactivity, staining, etc.

Screenshot_20200620-150830_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200620-150839_Gallery.jpg

58sniper likes this.
  18. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Here is a NIB AL PB. Spotless except damn permanent mark from box. It really looks like some type of chemical reaction between the plastic in the case and the finish of the gun. This gun is basically sat in a safe like so many others I've seen for decades yet here's the mark.

I'm cutting strips of Beva Tex To put between these contact areas and the gun. It is extremely inert archival material.

https://www.gaylord.com/Preservatio...ort-Materials/Beva®-Tex-(Sheet)/p/BT2736

Screenshot_20200620-152215_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200620-152149_Gallery.jpg

58sniper, Mr Meeseeks and Burken01 like this.
  19. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

It's kind of a pain but I don't wanna put sticky felt when these things and I would think that this would protect it.

Screenshot_20200620-152526_Gallery.jpg

patcrad likes this.
  20. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Here is an AB. It literally looks unfired. It has felt stuck to the contact points in the case. Note that there are absolutely positively no marks of any kind in the finish. The gun is bidden this box for nearly 40 years. That black felt actually looks great and it doest move around like this other stuff I'm using. Of course it would leave in adhesive on the original box but obviously Goof Off anything would get that right off. (Awesome freaking gun :)

Screenshot_20200620-153754_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200620-153742_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200620-154117_Gallery.jpg