close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you sight your Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Skylark, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Skylark

Skylark

When I shot my Glock 19 for the first time, I placed the target on top of the front sight as shown in the pictures below. Target was 5.5 inch black circle.

[​IMG]

At 25 yards, my group was about an inch below the black slightly to the right. When I changed my sight picture to have the top of the front sight be right on the center of the target, I started putting my group in the black. The range did not allow target placement closer than 25 yards.

What's the correct way to sight a Glock? What's your sight picture for your Glock at the various yardages?

Skylark

2. Bonstrosity26

Bonstrosity26

I have the trijicon 3 dot sites on my g26. I aim right on like you were saying, put the front dot right on the bullseye. If you want you can get higher and lower front sites to adjust your POA and POI.

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

The 'correct' way is to sight it in so that the bullets impact where you want them to while using the sight picture you prefer.

Using the six o'clock hold that you did, and having the bullets impact below the black, I'd put a higher rear sight on my Glock. [​IMG]

I would have the rounds impact at the top center of my front sight:
    [​IMG]

That way I could hit most any target at most any reasonable distance.....

Like a stel plate:
    [​IMG]

Or an IPSC target up close:
    [​IMG]

Or one further away:
    [​IMG]

Or a pop can at 50 yards:
    [​IMG]

:)

:patriot:

4. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

My G-19 has always shot a little higher than Butches pics, there.

If I place the front and back like he shows, my shots hit maybe 1 inch higher than depicted, and I merely adjust for it.

I`m out ;)

5. Halojumper

Halojumper

That's not exactly true. If you look at all the major (and not so major) trainers, you'll see both ways recommended, POA and 6 O'Clock (though I prefer POA).

6. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I hope you are joking.

7. Halojumper

Halojumper

Nope

8. Skylark

Skylark

Hey Butch,
    You always seem to come up with great answers. I never knew that there were rear sights of varying heights for Glocks. My G19 has the second one with only one - on it. After I try different ammo to see if there's a difference, I might need to replace with the 3rd one (2 dashes, small dash on top).

Thanks!
    Skylark

9. Butch

Maybe you should re-read what I wrote.....I fail to see how what you wrote shows me to be wrong. And apparently Matt agrees.

QUOTE:
    Originally posted by Butch
    The 'correct' way is to sight it in so that the bullets impact where you want them to while using the sight picture you prefer.

10. Halojumper

Halojumper

What I wrote is that there are two ways which are commonly taught. There is not one "correct way". Now, I happen to prefer the way you mentioned, but that doesn't make it THE correct way. I remember that the Army taught me the 6 oclock sight picture and I had never heard of it before. I remember being appalled and thinking I would never do it that way (and I don't). I prefer to do it my way, not the other way.

11. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

So you agree yet Butch is wrong. Strange.

12. Butch

:supergrin: Um.....which 'way' did I mention?

There are two very good reasons for using a 6 o'clock hold, one is for shooting in bullseye competition with iron/open sights and the other is to sight in the gun. The reason you should use the 6 o'clock hold for both is that it gives you a specific and accurately repeatable point of aim as compared to trying to hold the top of your front sight 'in the middle' of a target (which is not very precise).

Like I illustrated above, after you sight in the gun (using the 6 o'clock hold for the best consistent accuracy) so that your bullets impact at a point on the target that is seen at the top center of your front sight, you can then hold 'center' on any target and hit it (like I also illustrated above - the three little round spots shown above the front sight in the pics represent bullet holes).

13. heat762

heat762 Infidel Member

I'm with this guy.

6 O'Clock hold is awesome for target shooting in my opinion, because you can always use the 6 O'clock hold....no matter what size the target is.

Try cutting a coke can in half POA POI at 25 yards...pretty tough.

14. RLDS45S

RLDS45S

I am with Butch, and until someone can prove with hard data otherwise it stands to be the best option. Just cause someone says so and so said so does not come close to being the gospel according to so and so! You have to be able to cite sources in print, authored by so and so!

15. bigK

bigK

+1 for Butch...this is the only way I know how to shoot accutately...

With my new G19...my 1st glock...and first gun that apparently use the front dot for POI...instead of the top of the post...shoots low by 1" to 2" at 30' because I can't hit squat with the dot over the POI...

So I am looking to buy night sights for the G19 that will give me both fast acquisition and Butch's sight picture both near and far for precision shooting...I prefer dot and box over two or three dot for SD...

My question is...How do I go about determing what brand to choose...and get the right size front and rear the first time...that will give me all three...night sights...box and dot...and Butch's sight picture front and rear...

Thanks...

Box and dot night sights...

http://www.sprinco.com/ptlist.html

http://www.mmcsight.com/products.html

Also considering the Ameriglo Smooth Operators...although the three dot is not my first choice...I certainly prefer them to two dot...

So I guess I am seeking advice from people with experience...preferably with both types..but, of course any help is appreciated...who are 100% in agreement with Butch on sight picture...

16. vrex

vrex

How do you sight a gun in accurately at 25 yards? Im not that good to get a good reading that could not remove the element of human error, even from a bench...anyway, i stood and hit the 25yd slow fire target every time today with my g34. I was pretty happy about that. I just try to put the fron sight right over where I am aiming.

17. jzam04

jzam04

So I have a newbie question for you guys.

I purchased a G19 recently with "factory" Trijicon night sights. How can I have them adjusted for a 6 o'clock sight picture, or do they already come or should they come already sighted like that?

Thanks!

18. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Same with me. At that distance with a Glock i cant say for sure if if its an inch or so off.