How do you short guys carry your super-tuck?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by bandmasterjf, Feb 6, 2010.

1. bandmasterjf

bandmasterjf

I'm 5'6" and..................stalky, about 190. I'm carrying a G19 with a supertuck and I just can't seem to find that magic spot that is comfortable to carry. It's great when I'm standing or walking around, but when I'm seated it digs hard into my ribs to the point where I've got some pretty bad bruising. I've tried it at every level and from the strongest forward can't back to level, I've carried from 3:00 to 5:00 and it still digs. I've got to where when I'm driving I just pull the gun out and put it in my door pocket, but you can't do that at McDonald's.

So how do you short pudgy guys carry with your supertuck?

2. gusbuster

gusbuster

That's one of the reasons I got a G26, and it conceals better.

3. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

4. HandyRake

HandyRake

Stop going to Mcdonalds. That was my solution. And work out more. My spare tires was a real PITA so I did something about it. sits much better

5. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

I finally stopped carrying IWB & went OWB with a Don Hume H721OT. It works much better and is every bit as concealable. You just have to get over the fact that everybody is looking at your gun, they are not. They are clueless. I just couldn't get IWB to work for me. Get a good gun belt too. That makes a big difference.

6. bandmasterjf

bandmasterjf

So how is the OWB more comfortable? I mean, the gun is still there, it's still the same size.

7. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

Because it's not shoved between your pants & your skin.

8. bandmasterjf

bandmasterjf

So do you wear it up high so the barrel doesn't stick out your shirt? I got the supertuck so I could tuck. Don't see how you could do that with an OWB holster.

9. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

Yeah, usually. No, OWB can't tuck. If I need that I pocket carry a J Frame.

10. doktarZues

doktarZues

OWB is concealable.. long shirt, jacket, etc.

5'6 @ 190lbs is likely the problem. I can say that candidly as I turned 30 last year and have to say for the first time in my life my metabolism seems to be slowing down and I've gained some pounds. But I've noticed my ccw has started to become more uncomfortable (ironically this began once I gained an extra 20 pounds). I'm 5'10 hovering around 200. When you have your body reaching down to touch your ccw, I don't think any holster in the world is going to fit you "like a glove". If your holster is adjustable (my mtac is) i dropped it down a hole which makes it harder to get my hand in there to draw, but did provide some comfort/relief as the gun sits lower in my waist.

I've heard on here from (and met some) fat people that like the smartcarry at the 10 to 2 oclock position for optimum comfort.

11. Shima

Shima

I've got a SmartCarry for my Jframe revolver and can't see how it would be comfortable with a G19. JMO. I use the Crossbreed Supertuck with my G30 and even with my "winter coat", I still don't have the problem like you are talking about digging in to my side.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  12. Ironbar

Ironbar

If it's digging in to your ribs, have you tried adjusting it so your gun rides lower?

13. bandmasterjf

bandmasterjf

Yes. Last night I tried something a little different. I put the front all the way down and the back all the way up and am carrying about 5:00. It seems to be more comfortable, but it just could be that it's not hitting the bruises.

Hey doKtarZuse, just wait till you hit 40 if you think that metabolism is slow now. When I was 30 I could lose 10 lbs a month if I wanted to. Now if I diet real hard I can manage about 2. Of course I've put on some serious mileage too and exercise is hard with a bad back and arthritis in every joint.

14. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

Do you have a "carry belt"...or a department store belt?

15. SagKC

SagKC

About my size, and after fighting the weight gain for about 25 more years than doctarZues, and with no Supertuck experience, have found decent success with IWB clip ons like Don Hume or Bianchi 100 Professional this winter. Have found 1:00, 2:00 or 4:00 all work well with different Glocks, pants, etc. Clip ons also lessen the chances at being uncomfortable for extended periods, since you can quickly duck into a restroom or out of sight and quickly adjust accordingly.

SmartCarry also works well for me in summer, but with lighter, looser fitting clothing. Stick with it...you'll find something that allows you to be reasonably comfortable while continuing to carry!

16. ZSJvan21

ZSJvan21 GLOCKed&Loaded

I use the super tuck with a G19 and I'm 5'8". I have no problem with the holster and used to notice it in my ribs but I put the holster to the lowest riding setting and then canted the back, up one. It works fine if you have a t-shirt as a layer between the grip and your skin. OWB works well too but I like the option of IWB so I got the super tuck. but if you put the holster in the lowest setting and then use a t-shirt you won't have as much of a problem, and that's with a G19. Hope this helps!

Cheers!

17. bandmasterjf

bandmasterjf

Department store. Does it really make that much of a difference in IWB?

18. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'...again. :^)

I am 5'5" and weigh around 155 lbs give or take 5 lbs. I can easily conceal all of my carry guns. The thing some people have a real problem with, and this isn't just short guys, is the FACT that if you are going to conceal a handgun...any handgun on your person in public you are going to have to make some concession to the way you wear your clothes. We are all different so we all have different requirements and preferences.

I have a .38 snubby and a KelTec P32 that I can carry in an ankle holster or pocket. I have a G21 that I can carry in cold weather under a heavy coat. I have a g-17, G-23, and a G-36 that I can carry IWB, OWB the year around and in a shoulder rig under a light jacket or windbreaker in cool weather.

So many people make a hard problem out of this and I just don't get it. For OWB and IWB you will need to go with your shirt tail outside your pants or an over shirt of some kind on. For the IWB you may need to get your pants a size larger, ETC. It's no big deal really.

I am always very discrete and no one has ever "made" me when I'm carrying. I bought my first shoulder rig for the 23 and wore it regularly for nearly 2 years before my wife was even aware I was carrying a gun. I let her "catch" me once when we were getting ready to go out to dinner. Her eyes poped open wide and she asked me how long I had been using the shoulder rig. When I told her she laughed and shook her head. She said that she knew I carried on my hip all the time but had no idea about the shoulder holster. She thought is was cool.

It all comes down to committment, attitude and the ability to be flexible in dressing to carry. It isn't a problem unless you make it one.

19. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

It won't help as much IWB vs OWB... But it will help. The style of holster mounting system will play a roll, too. Single pt. vs double pt.

Style of holster will play a roll, too...