How do you shoot your Contender/Encore handgun?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Feb 23, 2010.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I have the Contender 14" 7-30 waters, 2x scope.

I've been practising some off-hand shots (meaning not rested on anything) at 25 yards. I know, pretty close, but I was just fooling around, seeing how the groups compare to my other handguns.

With guns such as an iron sighted Beretta 92, red-dot scoped .22, or .44 mag in either 4" or 8" barrel, I can 2-hand hold and shoot a 2" group (occasionally). More often a 4" group. But if I really concentrate, I can get down to 2".

I'm using a Weaver stance, trigger hand pushing out, non-trigger hand pulling back. Really trying to lock the gun rigid and hold steady.

I use that same stance with the Contender, and it just weighs a lot and is very nose heavy. And the scope shows a lot of shake. So, I'm only getting a 3" group that way.

Then I decided to try a more rifle style hold, with the non-trigger hand on the front stock. I also brought my trigger hand's elbow down to my chest (which I don't do when I shoot rifles), and was able to steady the scope a lot more. That way I'm shooting 2" groups.

But the recoil is pretty fierce. With a normal 2-handed pistol hold (Weaver stance mentioned above), the recoil isn't too bad, similar to a .44 mag. But when shooting rifle style, the gun rises up and out of my non-trigger hand. This style also has the scope a lot closer to my eye (because the arms are not extended as much), and while I'm not getting hit in the head, it does make me think about it :) The additional benefit is the field of view is larger, and I like that.

Sure, a rest is best. But I'm just practising. Suppose you see a deer at 100 yards, can you make a good off-hand shot? 2" at 25 yards might translate to 8" at 100 yards. But 3" would be 12" from my normal pistol hold (and I'd have to work at it a lot more, and wouldn't be able to hold as long before the shakes set in).

Oh, I noticed if I rifle style shoot without bringing the elbow down to the chest, it gets pretty wild. About a 5" group at 25 yards. Bringing that elbow down and holding it against my chest really steadies things.

So, any advice?

Thanks. :wavey:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. Messer

Messer

I have a 14" 7x30 contender that is my main whitetail gun these days.

Mine has a sling that goes from the bottom of the pistol grip, to the Pachmayr forend. The sling is long enough to allow me to hold it in the "rifle style" you describe, but it provides resistance when I push out on the pistol. (if that makes sense)

For me it's almost as steady as leaning against a small tree.

Before anyone asks, I don't use a holster - I wear a orange Upland Game vest over my hunting coat, and the "shoot" provided to put birds in the rear carry pouch holds the Contender perfectly in a kind of cross chest style.
    Upland Game Vest

As to recoil, I find the 7x30 to be rather tame - less than my Colt Anaconda 44 mag.

Anyway - good luck, hope this helps a little.

Take care,
    Bob S.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My .44 mag is a Dan Wesson, so I'm probably spoiled because they are noted for soft recoil. :)

Can you explain more what you do with your sling? Ever try it without your sling, and if you have, did you notice the gun recoiling up and free from your support hand?

Do you bring your shooting hand's elbow down to your chest?

I really like the gun, I'm just experimenting with different ways to shoot it. I also did some one handed shooting to practise for being in a tree-stand and having a deer approach from behind on either side. It definitely recoils more than my .44 mag (Win or Rem 240gr JHP). I'm using Federal 120 gr. Gamekings.

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

5. Messer

Messer

I've never shot a DW 44, but my Colt is not a bad kicker, it's just more than my TC.

When I shoot from the bench at the range, I don't use the sling - recoil for me is almost straight back. What grip are you using? I have the TC Composite grip.

I do not bring my elbows down - I'm pushing away with both hands, the sling goes under my left arm and over my right shoulder. My elbows are slightly bent when I fire.

I use a 140 grain Nosler Ballistic tip load I worked up. I'd have to go home and look at my loading notes to give exact load data, but it's close to max.

Come on down to VA - I'll let you shoot mine. (I escaped from NY back in 91, and I ain't going back! :supergrin: )

Take care,
    Bob S.

6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I don't hand load, so your loading data won't inform me much :rofl:

Thanks for the info on the sling. I'll keep the sling idea in mind, I bet that does help to stead it pretty good.

It is quite possible that your hand loads recoil less than my factory loads. I'm not complaining about the recoil in general. It was just when I went to the rifle style that the gun was recoiling up and out of the my support hand. I'd guess the muzzle was raising up about 4". The forestock is thin wood. The handle is wood with a rubber back on it.

I'll get more used to it. I only bought it at the end of this past deer season. I'm sticking with the factory Federal loads, and have been buying them up when I see them.

I'd love a trip down to Virginia to shoot up your ammo and drink your beer :rofl:

7. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

My .41 mag is OK with the two-hand pistol grip.
    I do have to wear gloves.

Have tried the rifle hold...and no good.
    Will try elbow thing.

Maybe sling also...have sling on my pistol .223 Kel-Tec...works wel.!

Most of my TCs do not recoil much...22 Hornet, .223 and so on.

Looking for 10mm TC barrel.
    :wavey::supergrin:

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

With the elbow thing, what I found so far is that I have to lean back a little bit, and I'm kinda setting my elbow on my chest. Leaning back also helps me to get the exact full-field of vision in my scope (since it is a handgun scope and is made be held away from the eye).

I've seen competative rifle shooters use the elbow on the chest. But I think it is their support hand's elbow. So, this is a variation of that theme :)

http://www.ttusports.com/sports/rifle/2008-09/photos/Gagne515.jpg

9. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

whenever i fire contenders / encores / g2's they hurt my hands due to the size,

if you want the best accuracy, use it off a tree or brand or rock or your backpack if you can,

otherwise just hold the rear grirp with your dominant hand, and forgrip with your other hand, and just aim like a rifle bracing with a sling if you can

10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I have a .410 barrel and 14 inch .223 barrel.

I use to shoot the .223 over a sand bag. Some years ago I put a sling stud under the forearm for a Harris bipod. It looks strange but works good when shooting from a bench.

I wish my ARs were as accurate as that pistol.

The only problem is the extractor bends trying to push the fired case from the chamber. I have to use a cleaning rod for a extractor when shooting the gun.

11. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

The T/C's were meant to be fire from a rest or pod of some sort. According to Thompson.

12. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

m2 carbine ,

does it do that with the shotgun barrel, or the 223 barrel ?

when you get the brass out, does it have any lines on the brass , or expansion points where its forming into the chamber ?

also is your extractor fitted properly to the gun ?

it sounds like something is sticking and on these barrels theres only 2 things it can be ..

and both are simple fixes

13. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

It's been a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time since I've shot any of my T/Cs, but, what a bunch of us would do is grasp the pistol grip with the strong hand (righty!) and then, grasp the barrel/scope with the thumb of the off-hand under the forend and the fingers over the top of the scope, with the arm vertical, or near vertical.
    IF you can 'dig' your elbow into your ribcage, you can get your bone structure to aid in supporting the firearm, instead of muscle.

One guy at our club used to shoot out to 200 yards that way.

14. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

No problem with the .410 barrel.

It's been a couple years since I shot the .223. I was thinking last week that I have to find the .223 barrel and do some shooting. (I temporarily put stuff away then sometimes it takes a week to find it again:supergrin: )

At the time I was shooting it the fired brass didn't look unusual. My reloads stuck more than factory but factory stuck to.
    As I recall, it doesn't take much to tap out a stuck case with a cleaning rod, but the extractor would bend after a few stuck cases.
    I thought TC might have a heavier extractor but I never got around to checking.

I do want to shoot the gun. This afternoon I'll look for the barrel.

I've had the .410 barrel on the gun to shoot Crows out of the Pecan tree.:)

16. noway

noway

2 hand hold w/44mag Contender 14" super vented-bbl. Alot of flip !

Rifle style same gun, no flip, but it 's not comfortable.

note: I have a wooden forearm that I haven't gotten around to adding lead weights in for reduce recoil.

17. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

let me know when you find the barrel ..

ill give you a few things to do and take pictures of so i can look at them, then give you a good idea on what to do to fix it..

18. G33

19. G33

:wow::wow::wow:
    5.7x28 too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :wavey: