close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you remove a slide-mounted safety?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by GAFinch, Mar 14, 2010.

1. GAFinch

GAFinch

Been looking at all metal guns, mainly by S&W and Ruger, but they all have slide mounted safeties, which I hate. I had given up, but then I saw a S&W 4043 police trade-in which had filler plates where the safety goes. Is this something only done for LE, or will they do it for civilians too?

Example:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  2. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

pretty sure thats DAO only as it would a little hard to convert a slug into that place,

i suppose its possible, but you better be good with a mill / cnc machine

3. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

That is a factory DAO pistol the plug fills the safety area on an existing slide; so S&W doesn't have to make a special slide assy for that pistol.

If you can't stand a slide mounted safety get a Glock.

Removing the safety is always a bad idea.

4. Gokyo

Gokyo

You could do it no problem

Find the dao trigger assembly at numrich (e-gunsparts.com)

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=9975

hammer you are looking for
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=323340&catid=9950

I could not find the safety plug. But I bet you can if you look a little.

You could however just buy an extra safety. Then put the new hammer assemble in. Then take the new safety and grind off the part you do not like (leave enough left over to keep it from drifting out). Then put the safety in. That is how I would do it if i thought I needed to have it off.

I converted a 3913 with a bobbed hammer (I am pretty sure it was DAO) into a DA/SA using a 5906 hammer.

It was super easy. So you would be doing about the opposite. plus the safety thing.

OK reality time. I am not sure that any of that would work. But I would be willing to try it on my own pistol if I cared that much about it.

5. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

So you want a DA/SA with no safety or decocker?
    I'll guarantee S&W won't do it.
    How about an all steel CZ 75 with a frame mounted safety?

6. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I've seen other posts where there is a dislike of slide mounted safeties, and I'm not sure why this is. I have several pistols that are so equipped, and personally see no reason to find it a drawback.......

To my way of seeing it, a DA/SA pistol is intended to be carried with the safety off......so, it will only be disengaged in a non-emergency situation. Considering that, it's location is a non-issue, it would seem........

.......so, tell me why slide mounted safeties are such a big deal to some of you.......

hog

7. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

I don't think of it as a "safety" anyway. It's a decocker. Chamber a round, drop the hammer with the decocker, leave it in the "ready to fire" position. No problem.

Or just buy some other gun.

8. hogship

Howdy CajunBass......

Yep, it is a safety.......at least it is on the Desert Eagle 9, Smith 639, and Walther PPK/S. You are correct that it is a de-cocker, but in that position, it is also a safety which has to be moved back to previous position for the gun to operate in DA/SA.

hog

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Until you try immediate action for a malfunction and find out the safety goes on half the time. Not good for competition or emergencies.

To the OP - huh? Most pistols in the world don't have decockers/safeties on the slide AND a whole lot of them are better quality than Ruger or S&W 3rd generation - why insist on a 2nd rate gun with features that are easy to find on better guns?

10. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

Well, yes, You're right. I know it can be used as a safety, I just never did. I'd decock the hammer, then move the lever back to the "off" (ready to fire) positon and forget it.

11. hogship

OK, pardon me, CajunBass......

I guess I misunderstood what you were saying.......

That's what I do, too!

hog

12. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

I found that a 92fs I used to own had this problem. I would inadvertently activate the safety every time. The S&W's safety is stiffer and I found I don't have that problem with them.

13. DPris

DPris

Bren has it.
    That's precisely why I stopped carrying an otherwise reliable S&W 4516 in unform several years ago.
    I inadvertently activated the safety during a malfunction clearance at a range training session one day, figured I couldn't risk it happening on the street, and switched into something else as soon as I could.

I liked that pistol, all steel & the right size for duty & concealed, it fit my hand very well, and I still have it.
    I'll just never count on it in a defensive role again, or any other slide-mounted safety for the same reason.
    Denis

14. fastbolt

fastbolt

The pistol in the first post is a DAO model, and the 'plug', or cylinder (end), visible in the slide is actually the assembly which serves as the firing pin retainer.

In the Traditional Double Action models the cylindrical body of the manual safety assembly serves the important functions of depressing the sear release lever when rotated and also capturing the firing pin (in the 'on safe' & decock position), as well as rotating over the rear of the firing pin to prevent hammer contact against the firing pin in the 'on safe' (and decock) position.

In the TDA models the manual safety assembly can be replaced with the optional spring-loaded, decock-only assembly. (The levers are automatically returned - via spring pressure - upward after decocking occurs and the levers are released from under the shooter's thumb.) The levers can't be left in an 'on safe'/down position with this optional assembly, though.

As already mentioned, I rather doubt S&W would modify a TDA gun so that it couldn't be mechanically & safely decocked using their standard design. I'd be surprised if they would agree to install a DAO assembly in a TDA gun. (I have heard of them leaving the TDA manual safety in guns converted from TDA to DAO, however, apparently when an owner wanted to be able to continue to have a manual safety in the gun converted to the new-style DAO, but I've never tried it myself.)

DAO hammers are different than TDA hammers.

As a matter of fact, the Machined DAO hammers (and sears & triggers) are different from the MIM DAO hammers (and sears and triggers). You can't mix a Machined DAO hammer with a MIM DAO sear, for example. In DAO guns MIM parts must be used with MIM parts and Machined parts must be used with Machined parts. Otherwise the geometry of the parts won't align and function as intended.

The spring-loaded, decock-only option was intended (we were told in an armorer class) to originally be offered as an option to LE agencies who wanted the levers to return upward to the 'ready to fire' position without the user having to thumb them up, and who didn't mind not having a manual safety 'on safe' position.

The regular 3rd gen guns had to have the slides machined to accept the optional assembly, which was originally done in the Performance Center, but the later production TSW's (and the 4040PD) came with the slides already machined to accept the optional assembly. I sent a slide back to be modified in that manner when it was a new thing, and I presently have a couple of 3rd gen pistols equipped with the spring-loaded decocker.

It's a nice feature for some folks. You don't have to worry about forgetting to lift the lever back up to the 'ready to fire' position during decocking (or fumbling and unintentionally putting the gun 'on safe' during an 'immediate action drill'), but it probably wouldn't surprise you to learn that there were a number of agencies who required their people to carry their TDA guns in the 'on safe' condition in their duty holsters, so it obviously wouldn't work for someone carrying under such a policy.

Nowadays it's an available option when new LE TSW guns are ordered, or it can be ordered and later installed in the new guns with the slides that are machined to accept it.

The .45 ambi lever has to be used when the spring-loaded assembly is installed in 9mm guns because the extra tab material on the back side of the .45 lever is needed to prevent lateral movement of the assembly within the slide which might interfere with the firing pin's freedom of movement.

The M4006TSW's ordered by the CHP are equipped with this spring-loaded, decock-only option, BTW.

15. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

only thing ive ever accidentally engaged the safety on is a 1911,

the smiths and berettas are out of the way enough where i dont even touch them

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

We were saying during immediate action for a malfunction, when you pull the slide back really fast, is when the safety tends to get knocked on.

17. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

I have heard that Smith (the PC Shop) will convert TDA guns to DAO for you. I would like to have all my .45s done that way. I have become rather fond of the glock trigger, and would like to get my Smiths to resemble it as close as possible.

18. CAcop

CAcop

When I had a 3913 I called Smith and asked them if they could convert to DAO. They said they would for IIRC $125 (could have been $175 I forget).

19. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

ah lol.. reading comprehension gets me again ..

20. GAFinch

GAFinch

Thanks for the info guys. I'm bouncing back from a really slow year and a half from the housing/banking market crisis and trying to rebuild my collection, but limit how much I spend until things fully recover. Haven't shot a S&W gun with a safety, but when I rented a Ruger at the range I kept hitting the safety when I pulled back on the slide. Been looking at the Sigma, but realized I could get a better looking 3rd gen trade-in for the same price. Glocks, CZ's, and 1911's are all good guns, but I like that I can get a quality, American made gun with good customer service for $300. Obviously, a holster is the best kind of safety, but I do like a DA trigger if the gun doesn't have one.