close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you reduce the forward trigger travel after the reset?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BigMoosie, Mar 19, 2012.

1. BigMoosie

BigMoosie

What's the best way of reducing the forward trigger travel after the reset. Ideally I don't want any forward travel past the reset point. Is there a part that can be changed in the trigger group. Can anyone advise on this. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

3. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Practice mostly...lots of it

4. BigMoosie

BigMoosie

Point taken, but I was thinking more along the lines of a part change.

5. novasquid

novasquid

i think that part of the forward travel is where the safety is engaged and disengaged, so to get rid of that travel would be to bypass all the safety built into a glock.

6. JBP55

JBP55

Contact Vanek Triggers or Glocktriggers.

7. Keyhole

Keyhole

Side Question: The distance between the break and the trigger being all the way rearward is the overtravel. Is there a name for the distance between the break and the reset? Anyone have a reference or illustration to help me (and maybe others) visualize all of this?

8. Glock+2

Glock+2

Be very careful of what you want to do...you have 3 safeties on your Glock.

You can only reduce the pre-travel a very limited amount and you need to know what you are doing or your safeties will not be working.

There are numerous triggers you can buy from those who know how to do this in a safe manner.

9. Keyhole

Keyhole

I use The Edge from GlockTriggers. I've adjusted my overtravel with it and as much pretravel as possible has already been removed. There's still a good bit of pretravel. That's as far as I'd go.

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It's very simple: trade for a 1911.

The first 3/8ths of an inch of trigger travel disconnects the firing pin safety. Don't mess with it.

11. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

+1 I have done several Glock triggers and spent months on one of my own guns trying to perfect the trigger. There is not much pre-travel to be taken out without disengaging the firing pin safety. If you take the magazine out of your gun and turn it upside down so that you are looking through the magwell and slowly squeeze trigger(on an empty chamber of course), you will be able to see how far the trigger bar travels before it contacts the firing pin safety. On my 17 there is so little movement that it is not even worth the effort to try to remove it. Also there is little to no movement before you de-activate the trigger safety. You should maybe look at a Haley Skimmer or a GLockworx trigger. I am a firm believer in over-travel stops and put them in every Glock I own, however I would be EXTREMELY cautious of putting a pre-travel stop in any Glock, if there is a possibilty of you using it in SD.

Just my .02

12. Keyhole

Keyhole

Nice call.:thumbsup:

13. BigMoosie

BigMoosie

Yes I know, how does the Haley Skimmer trigger do it then? Apparently that trigger has minimal pre-travel.

14. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

IDK but I am pretty sure there was a thread on here not to long ago and the OP had bought one and was not to impressed. Also the only time (while I am shooting anyway) that you notice pre-travel is on the first round after that it is just the reset. I believe they changed the relation between the trigger and and the trigger bar(where it connects to the trigger).

EDIT: maybe not it says all factory Glock parts, I am not sure. I would be curious as to whether all safeties remain functioning.

15. Frank V

Frank V

I wouldn't fool with the trigger, especially if you carry the gun for SD. I'd practice learning trigger reset. This way you won't have the takeup for each shot.
    Lots of practice has been mentioned, & that's the real way. When I'm shooting, I can feel the trigger reset, I try not to let the trigger go any farther foreward than that.
    You can practice with an empty gun ( check it about 6 times to be sure it's empty) then pull the slide back about 1/2", that will recock the gun. You can then press the trigger, pull the slide back again, slowly let the trigger come forward, not taking your finger off of it, & feel for when the trigger recocks. I practice reset that way. Hope I've described it enough for you to tell what I mean.
    Frank

16. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Eliminating trigger take up:

1. Remove the slide from the frame.
    2. Move the trigger forward so that the right wing of the cruciform sear (facing forward) is slightly on the right hand portion of the drop safety.
    4. Drill a tiny hole in the ejector housing in front of the left drop safety arm of the cruciform sear. Counter sink the hole so the slide doesn't rub on the pin.
    5. Or bend the leg of the cruciform sear (where the trigger spring attaches) forward toward the barrel. Heat and a heat sink must be used.
    6. Cock the striker.
    7. Pull the trigger safety away from the trigger and mark it where it meets the frame( this is in back of the trigger).
    8. Reslot the trigger safety at the mark.

Take up will be minimized and all 3 safeties will work.

Using trigger reset is OK for slow shooting, not a method I'd depend on in a SD situation.

17. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

I would DEFINTELY NOT do this, if your gun is EVER to be used for SD. You think a lighter connector might be an issue in court? Try explaining this to a jury. Not to mention in a local IPSC shoot, one stage called for 4 targets to be engaged two shots each, reload then one round to the head on each target. My time was 10.47 seconds and that is with no pre-travel removed. With practice you can fire a Glock faster than you can hit accurately.

Remember: "You can never miss fast enough"

18. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Use the trigger reset. Take up the pre-travel and fire the first shot, then hold the trigger to the rear while the shot fires. Once the slide has returned to battery and fed another round, let the trigger out until you feel a click in the trigger, then pull the trigger to fire another shot.

It might be possible to install a pre-travel screw into the trigger housing, in the same fashion that many aftermarket companies have done with overtravel screws. Or possibly a permanent vertical pin that may take sacrificing a few trigger housings to find the best spot.

[​IMG]

19. BigMoosie

BigMoosie

I suppose you haven't done a youtube video on this?

20. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Sorry no, I can take the pre travel out but don't know how to post a picture.:embarassed: