close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you protect your electronics when you travel?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Halojumper, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Halojumper

Halojumper

I don't travel a whole lot and it looks like I will be traveling next week. In the past I usually only took a semi disposable laptop and a cable lock and tethered it to some furniture. This time I'll be taking more stuff; good laptop, ipod, ipad and probably a couple of cameras. How do people protect all their stuff nowdays. One time I stayed in a place that had a small safe in the closet but that definitely seems to be the exception. I could take them with me and leave them in the car, but I wonder if that would be any safer. What are your thoughts?

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

Carry them with you or be prepared to lose them.

3. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Leave it home. Besides, ipod is redundant when you have pad. Pad is redundant when you have a laptop. Multiple cameras are redundant.

Or lock it in the hotel safe. A car is about the worst place.

4. droidfire

droidfire

You know you can open most hotel safes with nothing more then an uncooked potato, right?

Hitting them in the right spot with even a squishy object will cause them to pop right open.

5. yellolab

yellolab

I carry my laptop, blackberry and ipad with me.

Kevin

6. itstime

itstime

If you can't carry it you may lose it. Sounds like you are taking redundant items.

7. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

I'll assume that you have specific needs for the various items.

I tend to keep most/all of my electronics in a Timbuk2 backpack, and keep it with me as much as is reasonable. I work much harder at this in Europe, where hotels are a very popular target.

That said, I often leave electronics in the trunk of the rental car, or locked in the hotel room. I'm fully aware that neither of those is particularly secure, but at the same time, lugging everything everywhere is a giant pain, and I generally think that it's as much at risk of theft or damage being out in the world as it is in the trunk or hotel room.

Bags get stolen/dropped/crushed/soaked/whatever in a moment of inattention by you or someone around you, and you can't/shouldn't spend your entire life focused on your bag.

I'd say take what you need, be prudent, don't leave cameras or iPods floating loose in the hotel room, and live your life.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  8. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Carry them with me if possible or secure it another way if. For example, if I am on a business trip and I was going to go to lunch and all I had to do was go 5 or 10 mins out my way to go back up to the hotel to drop it off, that would be safer then leaving it in a conference room or in a car or coat check. Granted nothing is ever fully safe and there are no guarantees but minimizing the risk is better that taking an unnecessary one

:50cal:

9. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin RIP Mr. Mayor

The *ONE* time I put a piece of electronics in my checked luggage - a brand new, never used, high-end Garmin GPS - it was stolen somewhere between the American Airlines check-in counter in Jackson, MS and the luggage carousel in San Jose, CA. I will not make that mistake again.

I just took a little R&R in Las Vegas. I had a laptop, a GPS, a video camera and a Canon DSLR with a compliment of lenses all loaded up into my Kelty Redwing 44 backpack. That sucker was heavy, but it all made it out to NV and back without getting damaged or stolen.

10. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

Agreed. Checked Luggage is a great place to lose things.

I worry a lot about hotel rooms, with housecleaning, etc. but I've NEVER had a problem even when I've been totally un-cautious with laptops, iPods, etc.

I still try to be careful, but the hotel room is far safer than a lot of other options.

11. Firebob2917

Firebob2917 Forgiven

I travel for business almost weekly, Company Laptop, my I pad, ect, it's my traveling office. Purchase a Rolling admin bag all should fit in their. It goes with me when I see customers, might stop for a bite on way back to hotel room stays in the car for a short period. On the plane it's in the overhead, only on small AC I gate check it but keep the I pad for my music, movies during the flight. Nine years now and never had a problem.

12. Halojumper

Halojumper

Yeah, even there appear to redundancies there is actually a specific reason for choosing each piece. Everything mentioned should fit in my laptop bag and on he business portion of my trip I should be able to bring my bag to a reasonably secure area though I won't be able to keep it with me. On the pleasure part of the trip I'll need the camera and probably will have to leave all the rest in the car. For that part I'll be at Warner Brothers and Universal Studios.

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

If your trip is in two pieces (business/pleasure) ship all of your business crap home after the business part is done. Better than losing it all.

14. Halojumper

Halojumper

Interesting idea for an extended trip though all the electronic stuff is personal stuff not business. All I'm taking for business part is a wire notebook and some pens, oh and some business cards.

15. RexKramer

RexKramer

First, it may hurt your wallet, but staying in better hotels slightly reduces the risk of theft. We stick to Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, and Hyatt branded chains if at all possible. They have an image they are trying to protect.

Next, keep your electronics with you if possible. Obviously, the less crap you take with you, the easier this will be. My iPad for the most part has replaced my laptop on the road.

Do not check important or expensive equipment, carry it on.

Most importantly, assume that ANY electronic device you bring will be stolen. Use password protection at the very least, and be aware of what information is stored on your devices. One of our pilots had his iPod Touch stolen last year, it contained all his contacts, bank account info, etc. He did not use the password protection, the bad guys have that info now.

One thing Apple products can do, and I assume other platforms as well, is you have the ability to remotely wipe your data off your iPhone or iPad. You have to enable this feature before the device is stolen. I also set my phone to wipe itself clean if the wrong pass code is entered 10 times.

The remote wipe feature isn't fool proof, nothing is.

16. Halojumper

Halojumper

Company is paying for it, so it won't hit my wallet, so I'll be staying in a place comparable to those mentioned. What I'll end up doing it (and I hope now I don't have any GT members stalking me :) ) fly in to LAX. Get car and go to Warner Brothers tour. Parking is paid and off the street. After that tour, I'll head down to Redondo Beach and check it at hotel. The three days of the meeting after that, I'll just take all the electronics with me. I won't be able to keep it right hy my side, but it'll be in a safe place. They should all fit in one bag. The final day I'll pack up and head to Universal Studios. Luggage and electronics will be in trunk, but I've never had any trouble there on previous trips. VIP tour has up close parking anyway. From there, head to LAX and back home. It's not fool proof but reasonably safe.