close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you prefer someone ID themselves as a cop on a traffic stop.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by rookie1, Mar 18, 2010.

1. rookie1

rookie1

I tend to do a fair amount of traffic stops. In doing to I have ran into a fair share of off duty cops and some on duty in a undercover car. How do you prefer they tell you they are a cop?

I have had people give me their department ID with their DL, some have told me, some have had department clothing on, some have told me they are carrying a gun and give me the ID for that which is their department ID, and some I have known because they work at my department or a local department. Some people have said that if they got pulled over they would not tell the cop they are themselves a cop until they have been given the warning or ticket. I on the other hand I really dint care how it is done.

Just wondering how you think it should be done or what method irritated you?

2. SAR

SAR CLM

Around here, if we scratch out a ticket it's too late. Our tickets are numbered and accounted for and we can't make them disappear like back in the day. That being said, I do not like people who hand me their Department ID when I ask for a license. I prefer discretion, but yeah, at some point it's ok in my book to drop the "P" bomb. Usually the best way is to politely tell me that in order for you to retrieve your license from your wallet you have to reach behind you and that you just want to let me know there is a "weapon." To me, that's the "unwritten signal" that you're a po-po. The next question I ask is, "Where do you work?"

3. Pepper45

Pepper45

We can still make a ticket disappear, but we do the same thing for the "unwritten signal". It's a nice way of getting the point across without acting like you're requesting a break, or throwing your badge in someone's face.

4. trdvet

trdvet

The "i have my duty weapon on me" is nice. There is a well known large agency around here which most of their people like to do the ol' stick your badge out the window before the Cop even approaches you.

5. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

6. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

This is what I do.

This is what I don't do.

7. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

+1 on what's been said before.

As soon as I am lit up, I pull over, lower both windows, take my badge case out of my pocket, keep my hands on the wheel while holding the badge case (closed), and let the officer do his schpiel. Then I announce that I have a firearm on me and I am a police officer without moving my hands. When he asks where I work, then I open the badge case in my hand and show him. This way I am not moving my hands where he can't see.

8. Fallout

Fallout County Mountie

You wouldnt happen to be in North Texas would you that sounds an awful lot like an Agency with Roughly 3000 or so officers with the Initials DPD..... :cool:

Although I have noticed the trend has shifted away from this in the past couple of years.

9. gumby223

gumby223 Crime Fighter

+2

This description is my most preferred. But, I've been badged many different ways...from them not saying anything until the very end of the stop...to them flashing the badge out the window and driving off once I glance at the badge (arrogant one he was). At my dept., once I print the ticket (electronic) there's no going back, it's automatically saved and transmitted to the court, can't change it after that.

10. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

Last week I pulled over my first off-duty cop, a state trooper. As I approached the driver's window he held out his hands, palms up. I started to tell him why I'd pulled him over when he interupted me and said "I'm Trooper *****!?" He seemed genuinely shocked that I didn't recognize him. He clearly annoyed with me. After I confirmed his ID I told him to have a nice day and walked away.

I'd already given the registration to the dispatcher before I got out of the car so she know who was driving it. When I retuned to my vehicle I radioed dispatch to clear my traffic call. She immedietely responded "I'd have given him a ticket!" :rofl:

11. MDLibertarian

MDLibertarian NRA Life Member

As a non-LEO the first thing I have to ask is why so many LEOs are being pulled over to begin with? Do you guys typically drive in a manner that would attract the attention of the black and whites? If so, why?

12. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

And so it begins.

Even though we all know why you posted this, and what you really mean by it - I'll answer first.

Because we speed at times, much like the vast majority of people who DON'T have a badge. Sometimes, our tags might be expired. Othertimes, we might me distracted by something while driving, and weave a bit, thus drawing the attention of another officer. We might even run across DIU/License checkpoints, and feel obligated to tell the nice officers working that detail that we're armed.

In other words, we drive just like 99% of the civilian world.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  13. gumby223

gumby223 Crime Fighter

My thoughts exactly.

For a second there I thought I was being cross examined by MDLibertarian...:faint:

Some people never learn :whistling:

14. Captain38

Captain38

My being stopped for a traffic related matter, really and truly, RARELY happens, but when it does, I say, "I'm a retired Captain, Kentucky State Police and I'm legally armed. YOU just tell me what you'd like me to do"!

Clean and simple!

15. RocPO

RocPO

I prefer the "Drivers License with ID underneath". Nosy people won't think anything of it. Another is the shield/ID on lap, open.

16. TNXB21

TNXB21

First of all I want to thank all of you officers for your service. I really do admire and respect what you do.

I am not a LEO (big surprise) but I do CWC. I have always wondered what should I do if I am stopped or run across a DWI/Drivers license check.

Any advice you could give me I would really appreciate.

God Bless you and your familes. :patriot:

17. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

It's a "cop" thing. If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

18. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

Well I get pulled over all the time. Sometimes 3-4 times in a week. But, each and every time I have been working in my unmarked or UC rig. I always tell them right off that I am on duty, where my guns are and where my badge/creds are. I also give them the head up if they are being recorded.

I have never been pulled over off duty, but I would probably just tell them I am armed.

19. ugly8604

ugly8604

I usually don't even yield when being pulled over. I simply roll down my window and give the "code 4" signal and keep driving.

20. Rabbit994

Rabbit994

Is that the signal where you put one finger down per code signal?

I've tried that signal before as a civilian, it didn't work out as well as I hoped it did.