How do you practice the week prior to the match?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by dking1, Sep 3, 2007.

1. dking1

dking1

How do you practice the week prior to the match?

2. ede

ede

practice is the same as cheating :rofl:

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I practice by setting up all three traditional stages. If you don't have access to a plate rack, use paper plates. Use a shot timer and score your stages. If you can only set up one stage, use the 5TG. Practice getting off the first shot. Practice controlled pairs. Practice your order of target engagement on each stage. Practice with the targets in bright sunlight. Practice with the targets in the shade. Use D-1 targets. Learn to bisect the centerlines mentally so that you can find the A-ring if it's raining and the target is covered with plastic.

4. dking1

dking1

If practice is cheating then I have 17,500 rounds of it this year...thank God .22 lr is cheap!:tongueout:

5. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

I just practice shooting at D1 targets at the various distances and shoot two to a target. I practice indoors, so it's hard. I know that shooting bowling pins close to the match, helps, because if I can hit a bowling pin, plates are much bigger and easier to hit! Also, coffee can lids do wonders as targets. Or, you can trace around them on paper for the same size as the plates. Paper plates are cheap targets, also. Improvise, it's fun and exciting. Even being able to shoot the Indoor matches helps me aim and concentrate on D1 targets even though the matches are as different as night and day. I need to concentrate, concentrate and concentrate some more!

6. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Pretty much what Danny said. If not over at Rochester-ville I just setup a 5TG at the local Rod & Gun. If it's busy I go to my alternate site & shoot some pairs at a 25yd D1. The practice is definitely more worthwhile if I focus on a couple of things I want to get done, rather than just shoot some arbitrary number of complete matches. I strongly recommend using the timer for your practice, even if it's just doing first-shot or first-plate drills. Get yourself coming off the beep.
    :thumbsup:

As Sharon mentioned also, I try to shoot a few indoor pin matches during the winter although my favorite place is now closed. [Another casualty of urban-sprawl it seems. Kinda like everyone moving out of town around the airport & then complaining about airplane noise.] :steamed:

:patriot:

7. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Practicing, concentrating---

The next thing you will say is that when the timer goes beep you

actually use the sights:shocked:

8. njl

njl Crusty Member

Practice? Before the last Orlando match, I hadn't had any time/chance to practice. I stopped by the local range on the way to Orlando and shot a mag or two at our plate racks, drove two hours, and shot 15 minutes.

I did well enough to win back my entry fees...so I can't complain.

9. ede

ede

sights? what are they good for and why would you want to use them?

10. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

:rofl: Just celebrating the fact that I can still hear the timer.
    :supergrin:

11. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

My practice, really begins 3 weeks before the match.Ive got to say thought ,I havent did this in awhile!

3 weeks before the match,Practice each sunday:
    Which would be 3 sundays, start practice sunday morning around 10am. set up entire match course of fire(all 3 stages)starting with clean pistols,( taken apart and cleaned entirely),Take a few sight in shots, then load mags and practice as though we are shooting a match. Shot through all 3 stages twice, take a break ( 30 mintues or so)Then start over again ,shooting all stages twice again. If its not to late and everyone wants to do it one more time.

The week before the match:
    Go for practice at 10 am, shoot all stages twice and then ,take a break and shoot them twice more and then make plans for the trip to the host range.

Time in between practices:
    I think about the match in my mind, think of how I will engage targets. And get alot of dryfire practice. I did have the privlege of having a place to shoot at my home(NC) besides,my practice range(SC) Get my mind set, My ZEN if you will.

The day of the match:
    As soon as I set foot on the host range, Im thinking of how I will ingage the targets, I think of nothing else,I get myself relaxed, and my mind focused. I get myself in my zone ,my world.
    And yes, I do get a little nervous, but I put that aside, do nothing but focus on the match.

I know everyone cant do this kind of practice, and believe me I dont get to do it very often now, But for all of the new guys, that have the time. Get as much practice as you can and find your ZEN and focus at the match. Remember: Watch the sights and squeeze the trigger! ( smooth is fast)

Jeff

12. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Did you ever do all of the above practice and then with the match firmly set in your mind, start to shoot a stage and at that moment realise it was set up in one of the alternate patterns?

13. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Darn you! Occasionally it will be one of TBO's subject lines over in CT to get my monitor covered in coffee... you got that accomplished in rather short order.

Not makin' fun of ya Jeff but I can see this whole dream-sequence video... You have this 5TG layout in mind, to the point that you end up with nothing but 30-A's, BUT... there is this recurring evil 'presence' lurking in the dream (that looks alot like Scott)...
    :devilish:

:animlol:

14. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

Lethal,I have never shot any of the alternate patterns, They were started after I got married and I have not had a chance to shoot any of them,but if I were still in the game, And still putting in that much practice ,every practice ,we would set up a different pattern of the match that way I could get use to shooting every pattern of each stage. What configuratin ,the stages are in doesnt matter as much as having a good sight picture and good trigger control,without either of thost might as well just shoot for the fun of it!
    Jeff

15. Lady27

Lady27

Lots! We have been firing all the rounds my reloading slave, I mean my husband, can produce. And he is making hundreds of rounds a day in multiple calibres. One day he made over 300 rounds of 9mm and over 200 rounds of GAP and then set up for .40. That was all in one day. I keep shooting it.

I shot the courses of fire in practice this week with G17, GAP, and G27. If I shoot it that well in the match I'll be very happy, but we shall see. He let me sign up for Am Civ and Major Sub. But I won't get to shoot sub.(bummer)