close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you pick the right contractor?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by iontrap, Feb 16, 2010.

1. iontrap

iontrap

What are the right questions to ask a roofing contractor? A friend suggested that I get the name of the contractor's insurance company and to call and verify myself that they are fully insured. Besides that what else should I ask?

2. GAFinch

GAFinch

I PM you the number for the guy we use at work. He lives in Thomson.

3. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

How about getting some references? If it's a big job I can't do, I want to know if others have had a good experience.

4. iontrap

iontrap

Thanks, I'll give him a call.

5. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

References, and BBB. It's best if you are there to watch them. I have gone on some site inspections where the roofer did not change the drip edge or VTR flashing. The homeowner had paid for this. I have seen flashing painted black or silver to look like it was changed. Most homeowners will not get on the roof to check. I guess that's why they call Me. I have a lot of stories I could tell. The number of fasteners is different according to the wind zone you are in.
    Most contractors try and do the right thing, but they are looking at the bottom line.
    Be aware. Good luck!

6. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

References

BBB or equivalent

State (some states track complaints against licensees)

And even after you do all your homework and hire only the best you could find you'll still get a crappy one 1 or 2 times in 10.

7. OneEyedDrunk

OneEyedDrunk RAZOR

Not sure that I'm too keen on contractors, and what they end up doing. I'm a Claims Adjuster for a major insurance company, and my goal is to pay what I owe to allow the customer to make repairs.

What do contractors do? How about inflating their costs to absorb the deductible? Saying repairs were made when they weren't(I would know this by another claim filed after previous repairs were not made like indicated).
    It's not uncommon for our field examiner to inspect the roof, complte a estimate for $7,000, and issue payment to the customer. What does the contractor do? He throws our company under the bus saying theres SO
    much more damage than we allowed for. He sends over an estimate for $40,000 for crazy damages. What ends up happening? Our adjuster wastes
    his time by going out to meet with this idiot contractor, and we pretty much end up with the same findings. The contractor then usually does the work for what we have. Sure, there are times where things change.

Good luck in your endeavor with finding a good contractor. I wish you luck.

8. DowntimeLA

DowntimeLA

get references from a reputable well known builder/GC in your area

ask him where he buys his materials, make sure he's in good standing with them.

i am leary of the ones driving a 60K work truck

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  9. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Get a copy of the following

Contractors license.
    Business license.
    Bond.
    Liability insurance.
    Work comp insurance.

A good contractor will have this info available for you. If they wont give it to you they are not fully licensed or insured and you could be liable for any damage or injuries on the job.

10. armorplated

armorplated

Get some names and numbers of people who have hired him recently. Call them and ask if they're satisfied. Go to their houses and see for yourself.

The BBB is ok, but they'll only have a record of complaints. Mediocre work might not merit a complaint, but might not be the work you're looking for.

11. failsafe

failsafe

Is it a complete tear off? If so, some roofer's do not do a very good job of cleaning up ..You wil want to go around the house with a magnent to pick up any roofing nails...Most of the contractor's are using air nailer's now..Make sure it is the round head type, not the staple kind...
    Take pictures of the exterior of your house prior to the work...Some of the horror stories I have seen, contractors driving on the lawn with trash trucks, rutting the lawn and damaging ornamental shrub's....

12. Rimmer

Rimmer

Agree with most everything above and....

When he comes over for the quote make sure your cleaning a firearm at the kitchen table. Sometimes it helps to let them know your the serious type. :supergrin:

13. armorplated

armorplated

Yeah, definitely let him know you've got valuables, particularly guns, in the house so his mexican workers can come back after hours.

14. Adjuster

Adjuster

Always use a contractor recommended by friends, neighbors and coworkers. Go to their homes and judge the completed work for yourself. Never choose a contractor from the phone book, door hanger, mail flier, radio/tv commercial etc.. And never ever use a contractor that just happens to knock on your door.

15. bill123

bill123

Ever watch HGTV -Holmes on homes ? Best of luck. Educate yourself and watch them like a chicken hawk while they work

16. Tristan

Tristan Awwwww.........

BBB.org They have a lot of great info.

17. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Solid advice. :cool:

18. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I call B.S. on the BBB

Want a AAA rating from the BBB? Buy more advertising.

Want to remove a complaint? Buy a higher membership.

Want an F rating? refuse to join.

I have dealt with them in the past. They only want your money and will extort it with a bad rating.

19. Tristan

Tristan Awwwww.........

Obviously your experience w/them is very different from mine. The BBB here is great though.

20. iontrap

iontrap

You guys have given me a lot of good advice. I've been asking everyone I know for recommendations. Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple of estimates this weekend. I'm definitely not going to tell the contractors that my insurance company is paying for the repairs.