close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you pick books to read?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MikeG22, Apr 2, 2012.

1. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Trying to find some good books to add to our kindle's lately and was wondering how does everyone pick what books to get? It seems that having interesting cover art is key to make me look a little closer when browsing online. Anyone have any better tips or good review sites that breaks it up by genre?

I just got one and I don't think they ever had an editor even proofread the book. Within the first 10 pages there were multiple spelling and grammer errors. First time I've ever seen that in a book that I've paid for.

Anyhow, anyone have any suggestions or any tips? For suggestions I do like fiction like the Bourne series and ones like that. Anything else gun related or tech/hacker/espionage is good too.

2. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Look at the cover :whistling:
    Depends on how many pictures are in it :supergrin:
    People still read :wow:

In all seriousness, it depends, some people follow series and authors or a friend said this or Oprah said this or the book club said this. I pick up something that catches my eye and read the back or a preview to see if it interest me.

:50cal:

3. OldArcher

OldArcher Gospel Carrier

Hi Mike,

Most of the books I buy nowadays, are survival based- most being manuals of various kinds, and some PAW, or Post Apocalyptic World fiction. Either, to me, is informative and entertaining.

I have 28,000 manuals on DVD, as well has hundreds of books on my new Kindle Touch, which I have backed-up on both my tower, and my laptop. Knowledge that you can use will be of extraordinary value in the times to come...

I learned during the war, Vietnam, to always have a seabag of paperbacks- to read and trade with others. I know what they are, but have not touched/read them, as they're my go-to-hell library...

Hope this helps...

OA, out...

P.S. I especially like the works of Jerry D. Young, Gary B. Ott (Tired Old Man), S.M. Stirling, Robert Heinlein, Louis L'Amour, and various new, young authors now being published for Amazon's Kindle platform...

4. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I've been collecting books for a little while now on how to do things like organic gardening, building a log cabin, raising livestock, making bows, shooting bows, preserving food, tanning hides etc. I make sure to have these in analog format so as to have them in a worst case scenario.

Amazon helps me pick books by telling me what I might like based off what I have chosen in the past.

5. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

I go for variety, but only pick books which will challenge the mind. Biographies of successful leaders and innovators, classic literature, history, philosophy, theology, and whatnot. Pick an area with which you are unfamiliar, find a book or two covering the subject, and read away.

6. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I browse kindle online, you can find authors on sale for good prices. I'm more of a zombie/post apocalypse person and kindle is great for that.

7. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

I read almost everything on my Kindle or my Kindle iPhone these days, even though I probably own 5,000 books.

I usually go to Amazon and see what my favorite authors are up to:

John Updike,
    Hampton Sides,
    Larry McMurtry,
    Tracy Kidder,
    Phillip Roth,
    Tom Wolfe,
    Tom Robbins, and
    Richard Brautigan, to name a few.

Sometimes, just for some light, enjoyable reading, there are a few detective writers that know how to write:

Tony Hillerman,
    Michael Connelly,
    Joseph Waumbaugh, and
    Michael McGarrity, to name a few.

If you want to read the two finest novels ever written, read John Updike's Couples (a normal book) and read Proust's À la recherche du temps perdu (In Search of Lost Time).

Keep in mind that Proust's book is 4,200 pages long, with 1.5 million words. It is my opinion, and the opinion of many others, that all persons who love literature should, before they die, read Proust in it's entirety.

8. jp3975

jp3975

Anything by Voltaire is nice. Definatly Read Candide.

You'd probably like Tom Clancy.

9. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

I read plenty of books on hiking the AT, and people who have thru hiked, a few good ones on Kindle

10. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I probably have over 6k books my Kindle. I go by topic and then author and then never quit.

11. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

You have certainly piqued my curiosity.

12. l0_0l

l0_0l beat that beat

:rofl:

13. sappy13

sappy13

I typically go for just about anything military related, especially if it involves special forces or pilots. Iv read a decent bit that iv seen suggested on here, but if im at the store ill go by the cover, the info on the back, and a quick google review from phone. Iv started buying everything from the google play store for my tablet.

14. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Used to ........:upeyes:....:whistling:

15. podwich

podwich

Amazon has a daily special, as well as daily bestseller (free and not free). I look at those and get ones that look interesting based on the description and reviews.

16. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

1. I don't read fiction
    2. I will only read something that has a lot of good recommendations or is a subject matter I really like.

17. ReyFufuRulesAll

ReyFufuRulesAll Pantless Wonder

Idunno, I just sort of stumble across them :dunno:

If I like them, I like them. If I don't I set them down. :thumbsup:

18. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Most of my friends and family are readers too. We recommend good books to each other. The NY Times best sellers list is a good place to look also.

19. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

The covers absolutely draw me on real paper books, but if you know what general genre you like there are book suggestion tools, or if you look on amazon they automatically give you suggestions. Also, obviously the best seller lists, book section in the paper, etc.

20. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

I don't care much about cover art when I'm looking for a Kindle read. I go by subjects that I am interested in, then by summary and reader ratings/recs.

Also, I browse the free Kindle books list on amazon, and just load those into the Kindle for when I can't find anything else I want to read. Good way to work thru classics I missed in school. Also, all the Zane Greys beyond the dozen I got from my dad and grandma growing up.

Mrs.Cicero