close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you organize your digital music – mp3s?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by SanduneCC, Aug 17, 2006.

1. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

I curently use iTunes to display and play my files but not to organize them. It seems the best way to organize requires human intervention with a rock solid and logical (or fuzzy-logical) system. I keep revising my system but never entirely happy with what I got. So I want to hear how you guys do it. Some of the things I’m curious are:

. Do you like your filenames simple or complex? Artist – Title? Or Artist – Album – Track# - Title? Does it matter?

. Do you have a different folder for each artist? Each album? That can get out of hand with ones and twosies and compilations.

. Do you keep whole albums or only the tracks you like?

. Do you fuss with the Genre tag if it’s not perfect?

. What is your favorite (preferrably free) software for mass ID3 tagging mp3’s using some kind of online database?

. This is an iTunes question: Is there a way to refresh the Library after you make changes like adding/deleting files?

2. pyblood

pyblood

I used to use WMP, but switched to Media monkey after reading about it on here. I am obsessed with having my music perfect. I like to organize it by album. I only like a few genres, so I make sure that they are tagged correctly. If MM lists a song as Hip-Hop, I’ll usually change it to R&B or Rap. Hip-Hip is just a little to broad for me.

My folder names have the artist – album titles. Inside of the folder I like for my file name to just be the song title.

I use Itunes when uploading the MP3s to my IPOD.

3. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

Follow up question: how big is your collection? Mine is about 60G and growing.

4. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Mine's about 45GB, just shy of 8000 songs. They're a mix of MP3s and OGGs.

I use MediaMonkey to manage them and synch with my iPod (just search for MediaMonkey on GlockTalk and you'll see all of my posts about it).

To answer your questions:
    1. I like my filenames simple, Artist - Title.
    2. Folder for Music\Genre\Album Artist\Album (it's easy using MediaMonkey's Auto-organize feature and this keeps many of the various artist albums classified under Various (see #3).
    3. I try to keep whole albums for artists that I like under the assumption that some of the songs will grow on me. For the one-hit wonders, I'm happy to have only one song. I have tried in the past to contrive my own Ktel-like multi-artist CDs (i.e. Pop-hits of the 80s) - although I haven't finished doing this for all of my one-off songs).
    4. I only use some really high-level Genres (Rock, Pop, Country, R&B, Comedy, etc.). This could quickly turn into a science project with all of the crossover artists and sub-genres.
    5. MediaMonkey - Gold user since 2003.
    6. Don't know... I rushed to uninstall iTunes as quickly as possible as soon as MediaMonkey supported the iPod.[/list=1]
      Joey

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I'm only allocating about 12GB to tunes.

What I do is have a 'Music' folder filled with other folders that bear the name of each band.

Then each act's folder has their singles and usually another folder labeled Albums inside it, where the CD images go.

That's how I do it. 1,372 files, 140 folders.

6. malkore

malkore

C:\Music\A-Z\Artist\Album\Track name.mp3

If I don't have more than 3 songs for an artist, they don't even get their own folder, just put in A, B, C, etc.

I got maybe 10gig.

7. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

I've quested after the ultimate music organization myself, and after several attempts and a dozen different apps I'm back to where I started, organized chaos inside my c:\MP3 folder .. I use winamp to organize playlists and what not.
    -dok

8. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

Not a bad idea.

I think my problem is I get wrapped around the axle confusing STORAGE with ORGANIZATION/ACCESS/RETRIEVAL/RANKING/PLAYLIST. Perhaps I should just store the music, say, from A-Z and let iTunes do the organization - provided I tag all the songs correctly. Isn't that right?

9. tnoisaw

tnoisaw

Itunes. 6700+ plus songs. No problem with organization.

10. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

I have differend sub folders A-D, E-G...
    In each I have a folder for the artist then album.

The file names have the track number before the name so my MP3 play will play them in order.

11. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

How do I turn my songs that are on Itunes into MP3's? (I'm new to this Mp3 stuff)

12. Angel Of Death

Angel Of Death Wrenches/BMWs

I use WMP11 to organize and tag my incoming albums.

I use Anapod Explorer to upload my music to my 4gig Nano.

I will use the same with my 60gig video iPod when it gets here next week.

I have 43gigs of music and am in a week long process of going through all my CDs and deleting all my WMAs and re-ripping them off CD as Mp3s.

13. js_gresham

js_gresham Where am I? CLM

mine are on my server, in a published share on my LAN, with limited internet access!

/mp3/artist/album/#-track name.mp3

i've even got code so that if someone is interested in what I'm listening to, they can listen to an excerpt (I think it is copyright safe, too - it only plays 20-40 seconds of a song).

about 6,000 songs right now. I rip in 320k, and then down-convert to 128k for my iPod/phone/etc.

j