How do you make your beef jerky?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by scowan007, Jun 16, 2005.

1. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Mines pretty simple. Get a cheap cut of lean mean (fat on outside, not marbled). Get rid of ALL fat.
    Put in freezer for about 20 minutes, so the meat is firm, but not frozen (easier to cut thin).
    Slice into thin strips, wash hands, drink beer.
    Place in tupperware container. Add 1/2 bottle of soy sauce, a couple Tablespoons of worcestershire, a couple Tsp of sugar, a bit of salt, pepper to taste (I use a bunch), sometimes I'll squeeze a couple lemons in as well.
    Mix everything around, to make sure all the meat is covered with marinade.
    cover and put in fridge over night. Wash hands, drink beer.
    To cook, I put the strips on a cake cooling rack on a baking sheet.
    Put in the oven on low (or 175 if you can get your oven that low. Depending on how thin you sliced, they will be done in 6-10 hours.

Please share your recipe/method!

2. Tito

Tito

I use a $50.00 food dehydrator and 97% lean ground beef.

Works great! very tasty.

3. nickg

nickg

****Edited for posting violations****

4. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

Tito,

Please expound on that a bit, if you would. Do you mix anything IN to the meat, or brush it on the strips?

5. Roundeyesamurai

Roundeyesamurai Sensei Member

Give you a hint: It involves a cow and a Taser gun... ;f

Actually, I marinade overnight, then use my Ronco dehydrator. I use some different marinades, but most frequently either Teriyaki sauce, or something very much like scowan described.

For thinness, I usually pound it out thin, rather than try to cut very thin. It absorbs the marinade better after pounding, and it also makes the jerky more tender once it is done.

6. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Hadn't thought of pounding. Good call, Thanks roundeye!;c

7. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

Beef Jerky marinade: (for 5 lbs. of sliced beef) my butcher slices it for me. I like rump or round roast

1/2 bottle of liquid smoke
    1 bottle of Lite Soy Sauce
    5 minced garlic cloves
    2 Tsp dried basil
    1/3-1/2 bottle of Louisiana Hot sauce
    2 Tsp cayenne pepper
    1 Heaping Tbs. Coarse ground black pepper

I don't let the meat sit in the marinade very long, just a few minutes, before it hits the trays for the dehydrater.

8. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Str8,

That sounds good. I think I'll try your recipe next time. I'll probably back off the liquid smoke a bit. THat stuff is pretty potent to me.

9. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

As for the liquid smoke.........remember, that recipe is for 5 lbs. of meat, and I don't soak it very long. It has never tasted too smokey to me.

10. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Forgot about the short marinade time. I'm used to doing it overnight. Guess that would make a BIT of a difference!;P ;f ;c

11. Tito

Tito

I mix in ready made seasoning and cure, available from Bass Pro, Cabellas, Walmart.

I then load the meat into a jerky gun (Walmart) and shoot the strips onto the dehydrator trays.

Plug it in for about 6-8 hours and presto, chewable tasty beef jerky with little fat.

(Mop the strips with a paper towel every so often to get the tiny bits of fat off.)

Oh, and add crushed red pepper to taste.

12. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

13. noway

noway

how long does your jerky stay? I was getting some vension stuff awhile back that would mold in less than 10days.

14. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

You probably did not get rid of ALL the fat. The fat will go rancid, while meat will keep for quite a while.

15. Tito

Tito

My instuction book say 2 weeks, but I've taken 3 weeks to eat it all and it was fine.

I can make 3 lbs of ground beef jerky at a time (starting weight).

16. walangkatapat

walangkatapat Millennium Member

I buy london broil when its on sale at Safeway and cut to the thickness I want. I use Yoshida's Gourmet sauce and let the meat marinate for at least 24 hours. Then I'll put the meat on the racks and put fresh ground over the beef before putting it into my Big Chief Smoker. I use two to four pans of apple, cherry, hickory, mesquite, or a mixture of wood chips, smoking usually takes eight to twelve hours.

17. noway

noway

{My instuction book say 2 weeks, but I've taken 3 weeks to eat it all and it was fine.

I can make 3 lbs of ground beef jerky at a time (starting weight).}

Have you tried more salt? I asked this question awhile back and was suggested more salt. I didn't see any big improve 10-days seems to be the max for me. I did find the vension vrs beef, beef ws less likely to mold when stored. I also made a batch that I smoked over a hickort fire for about 3-4hrs and then dried it resting in a warm oven.

So now I just make a few OZs during the winter months ( if you want to call florida months winters ) and carry just enough that I eat up within 3-5 days. I'm also looking into a vaccum sealer.

18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Home > Recipes

Beef Jerky Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
    See this recipe on air Friday Jul. 01 at 7:00 PM ET/PT.

Show: Good Eats
    Episode: Urban Preservation II: The Jerky

Check out these features:

Travel tips
    Great kitchens

Shop now
    Healthy living

Cooking for kids

1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
    2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    Special Equipment: 1 box fan, 4 paper air-conditioning filters, and 2 bungee cords

Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.
    Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.

Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.

Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.

19. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

That's a cool invention, I love his show

20. lonewolf28152

lonewolf28152

I use lean ground beef and a jerky shooter. I like American Harvest brand name spices that I buy from wally world. I run two dehydrators at a time and start out with six pounds of ground beef. When I give some out for people to try they can't believe it's ground beef.