How do you make Carne Asada?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Sir Lancelot, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Sir Lancelot

Sir Lancelot GLOCKER

Anybody have any good carne asada recipes for this dish?
    When I was young I worked at steak house that served this dish
    and it was great. It was served on top of a flour tortilla with
    chives.

2. JennYe

JennYe

Copied from Epicurious.com

Carne Asada

Mexican food is usually high in calories; this lean dish is authentic but light.

8 corn tortillas

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    6 ounces flank steak, well trimmed, cut lengthwise in half
    3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    2 small tomatoes, diced
    1/2 small onion, diced
    1/2 avocado, diced
    Chopped fresh cilantro
    Hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)

Wrap tortillas in plastic wrap. Microwave on High until soft and heated through, approximately 1 minute.

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Season steak with garlic salt. Add steak to skillet and cook until just cooked through, turning once, about 4 minutes. Transfer steak to cutting board and cut into small pieces. Divide beef among tortillas. Top with tomatoes, onion, avocado and cilantro. Serve, passing hot pepper sauce separately. Per serving: calories, 230; fat, 10 g; sodium, 443 mg; cholesterol, 21 mg

Serves 4.
    Bon Appétit
    Light and Easy

Epicurious.com

3. Sir Lancelot

Sir Lancelot GLOCKER

4. General Sherman

General Sherman

From the Food Network site.
    I saw this cooked on the TV show and was impressed enough to copy the recipe and send it to myself as an e-mail. I guess I should copy it into my Documents.

Larry's Carne Asada Tacos Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Medium
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 3 hours
    Cook Time: 10 minutes
    Yield: 16 tacos
    User Rating:

2 pounds boneless beef chuck
    2 ancho chiles
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    3 bay leaves, crumbled
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    Gray salt
    16 corn tortillas
    Garnish:
    1 head iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
    1 onion, finely chopped
    Felicitas' Hot Salsa, recipe follows

Slice the meat into 1/4-inch-thick-strips. The shape of the pieces doesn't matter but larger ones will be easier to grill.
    Remove seeds from chilies and toast the seeds in a dry skillet until lightly colored. Put the seeds onto a plate and cool them completely. In a spice grinder or coffee mill, grind the seeds to a fine consistency. Place meat in a large bowl and add ground chili seeds, garlic, crumbled bay leaf, and enough olive oil to coat the meat. Let rest at cool room temperature for 3 to 4 hours.

Prepare a hot charcoal fire. Season the meat with salt. Grill on both sides until done to your taste. Set the meat aside while you grill the tortillas quickly on both sides to warm them. Tuck slices of meat into each tortilla and garnish with lettuce, onion and salsa.

Felicitas' Hot Salsa:
    2 ounces chiles de arbol (80 to 90 chiles)
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
    In a large skillet lined with aluminum foil, toast the chiles over moderate heat for about 5 minutes, until they almost smoke, stirring often.

Bring 2 cups of salted water to a boil. Add the toasted chiles, garlic, and oregano. Simmer about 10 minutes, or until the chiles are soft.

Pour into a blender. Blend on low speed for several seconds, then increase to high speed for about 1 minute or until smooth. Add water to thin out sauce if you prefer.

Yield: about 2 1/2 cups

Note: These chiles de arbol are small green peppers thinner than a pencil. I would substitute 2 ounces of other peppers if I could find chiles de arbol, like cubanelle or jalepenos.
    :)