How do you lubricate your AR (Stag manual = not helpful)

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by m87, Mar 29, 2010.

1. m87

m87

Well, the online Stag manual is pretty incomplete as far as cleaning/lubrication goes; it only mentions oiling the barrel and the exterior of the gun. It doesn't even mention cleaning/lubrication for the bolt or bolt carrier group.

Basically, I'm still pretty new to AR's and see a lot of conflicting information over the internet regarding cleaning/lube. I'm OK with cleaning, at least down to a field strip.

Lubrication is different. Here's what I've heard and believe to be correct:
    - Light coat of oil in the barrel
    - Light coat of oil on the exterior of the gun
    - NO oil put in the chamber (attracts particles)
    - Do oil up the bolt and bolt carrier? Specific areas or the entire bolt&carrier?
    - Do oil up the charging handle?

Am I missing anything? Opinions?

I realize there are multiple ways and opinions on how to maintain AR's, so I'm trying to see what works for most people.

I'm not primarily looking for recommendations on brands of solvent/lubrication, but if you have something that's worked amazingly well for you, let me know. I've thus tried CLP, Hoppes #9/Hoppes lube (whatever comes in their rifle cleaning kit), and regular RemOil.

2. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Google, "RUN IT WET AR-15" and follow the advice of countless generations of men who live and die by the AR.

3. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

Scroll down to the lube pics. I printed these and this is what I use for a guide:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490

NO oil in the barrel. If you're going to store it for awhile, then a thin coat. Other than that, no oil in there.

4. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

I read on the Noveske website that the barrel should have a very light coating on the inside. Too much oil is bad, but a little helps prevent copper and lead fouling.

5. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

Google "Keep it running" for AR-15's and it's a good article. Or go to AR15dotcom and look in the maint and cleaning section and you will be overwhelmed. Like glocks everyone uses everything from spit to wheel bearing grease and everything in between. Use a good quality oil like breakfree / FP10 / Miltec etc and you'll be covered. There should be lot's of pics about where to clean. Also youtube vids.

have fun