close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you lubricate a Glock trigger?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Alden2, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Alden2

Alden2

I have a brand new Gen 4 G22 and would like to lubricate the trigger to loosen it up a little.

Does this require an disassembly beyond the normal take down?

Can I use any old kind of machine oil for this?

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Alden2

Alden2

3. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

According to the manual, no oil should go down inside the frame.

4. Alden2

Alden2

OK, so I don't lube it at all?

Seems like if I did oil would go into the frame.

5. Erich1B

Erich1B

6. js415

js415

I just finished taking the Glock Armorers Course, so let me give you an answer straight from my instructor.

Only a SMALL drop of oil, to be applied where the trigger bar meets the inside edge of the connector.

Then work it back and forth as much as you can, then shoot it a LOT!!!

The small amount of oil, and the shooting, will free up the feel a bit.

Jerry

7. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

Don't lube the trigger, its nylon 66 plastic that is self lubricating. If the trigger is too stiff you can try the famous "25 cent trigger job" and you will notice some difference - there are no miracles here but it did make my 26 trigger a little smoother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE8ZFj7qll4

Of course you can buy a lighter trigger. Personally i like my trigger pull how it is, stock, and heavy. I'm not going to change the trigger unless it breaks. I have had a negligent discharge long ago, on a 45 auto i bought from a buddy, that had its parts butchered by the previous owner who simply had to have a hair trigger. (No one was hurt and not much was damaged except a wall and my pride, but naturally i never want to have a ND again.)

Plastic to plastic or metal to plastic, as in the lower receiver, clean but it don't lubricate it. It only attracts grit which will wear the plastic faster then leaving it clean and dry.

that said, i do lubricate metal to metal, the parts in the slide, and the parts glock tells me to lube. (I work with machinery and metal to metal moving parts almost always calls for some kind of lubricant.) I lightly lube the extractor, trigger safety and extractor spring and follower with automotive moly grease. The firing pin i clean the hole and the pin, and leave that dry, because again it is metal on plastic (the insert in the hole is plastic).

I could be wrong but that's what everything i've ever learned about machines, tells me to do.
    If someone has a good reason not to do this, i'm interested in hearing it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  8. TTO DRIVER

TTO DRIVER

You do not lub the trigger. You put one drop of oil on the rear part of the trigger bar where it rubs against the connector. Hope this helps. :cool:

9. G36_Me

G36_Me

Congrats on being an Armorer. Add a tag line to your posts. Wear it proudly.

... to your comment: I fully agree.

10. SCC

SCC just me

[​IMG]
    this is all you need one very small drop of oil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. glockkramer

glockkramer

Here's something you all probably know, but I'll tell it again anyway. When i bought my first G19 five years ago, I also bought a Scherer 3.5 lb connector and had the armorer at the store to install it. Last year when I bought my second G19, I bought the same connector and decided I had learned enough to do it myself. When I took the factory connector off, it had a very small "dab" of anti-seize compound on it where it rubs the "other metal part" (forgot the name and too lazy to look it up). So I put a small dab on the new connector before installing it. I suppose that's why they say to put one small drop of oil on the connector, cause they already put the good stuff down in there where you can't see it.

12. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

Just shoot the gun some and the trigger will "break in" :cool:

13. voyager4520

voyager4520

As SCC showed, you can lube the trigger bar/connector interface. In fact you're supposed to. Here's a video showing it, at 3:25 into the video:(this guy uses way too much lube in each spot) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc

I wouldn't lube the actual pivot of the trigger, as there's no way to clean it out effectively once the oil/lube gums up and/or collects grit over time. And be careful if you do a 25 cent trigger job. The aim is to polish surfaces, not remove metal. You remove too much metal and the gun can become unsafe. It's better just to wear those surfaces in through lubed functioning.

14. B Coyote

B Coyote

Didn't read your manual, did ya Alden?

bc

15. bluejdixon

bluejdixon Ammo Hoarder

Besides the aforementioned trigger bar procedure. Shooting it is your best course of action.

One could say that your trigger should be lubed with the blood, sweat and tears of range dedication.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  16. Alden2

Alden2

HAhaha ... finally got around to it last night! I lubed it and there's a considerable difference now. Much smoother. Thanks!

17. bogeyalert

bogeyalert

18. nickod

nickod sammyb

i have been using milcom grease for a while now. i like it. its stays put better than any oil.

19. jfrey

jfrey

I've always used a drop of oil like the Glock directions say, but recently I tried something else and like it better. I used a very small amount of Super Lube synthetic grease on the face of the connector and on the rounded end of the trigger bar. It doesn't take but a very little bit in the right place but it really makes the trigger action feel much smoother than the oil. The grease won't run and I suspect it will last longer too.

20. jw38

jw38

Little drop of whatever - - really small, say 1/3rd size of a drop going into your eye.