Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you like my KYDEX pocket holster & KYDEX wallet designs? I am just starting to try my hand at making things with KYDEX. The pocket holster/trigger guard design does not touch the slide, so it prevents holster wear. This is my first prototype for both items. The pocket holster works best with Cargo shorts, or pants (more pockets for keys, etc.). My Gen 4 G27 is a bit thick, but I front pocket carry my KYDEX wallet on the other side so it balances things out. I usually try to find cargo shorts and pants with a media pocket for my cell phone. The wallet is lined with reinforced foil to prevent thief's from scanning my credit card chips. I use wrist bands to function as a money clip for cash on the opposite side.
Wood Hardwood Trigger Wood stain Grey
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry I didn't think to take a end view photo, but the hook side of the pocket holster is slightly rounded to follow the curve of your thigh so it conceals better. If you have any comments or suggestions on improving these designs further please share them with me. :)

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I have a similar design pocket holster for my G42, it is made by Boraii.

The Boraii comes flat, but I took a tip from -JCN- and used a heat gun to curve it slightly, just like you did with yours. It rides very flat and works really well.

At the end of the day, I still use my Kydex Alabama most often, it just seems to work better for me in the widest array of pants I wear.

Good work.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I like it, nice job.

I made a similar holster for my 43 and 26, and curved the hook as well. Works great. Yours looks way better though. Here's the one I made for the 43. I've since made a further mod by bending the small hook that catches the edge of the pocket on draw outward a little - helps to insure a solid grab on draw.
Brown Gun Firearm Trigger Tan
Brown Black Rolling Still life photography

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The G27 has a double stack mag, so it is a bit thick, and it is probably not the best choice for pocket carry. I am not really comfortable with a single stack mag. As the saying goes: "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it". It works for me. I have been buying the Wrangler's with the the media pocket, and they work OK, but I do wish the pockets were a bit deeper as the holster rides a bit high. I'm in Florida so I usually have a untucked T-shirt/shirt which helps. No one seems to notice any printing, especially the way I balance it with the wallet in the opposite side front pocket, which is where I have always carried my wallet. For IWB carry I have a Minotaur CompTac holster with interchangeable shells for G27 and G23. I like the idea of the pocket holster for quick trips, but don't really want to give up the capacity of a double stack. If you notice in my photos I have a Pearce Grip mag extension which gives me 10 + 1, which meets my comfort level to carry.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like it, nice job.

I made a similar holster for my 43 and 26, and curved the hook as well. Works great. Yours looks way better though. Here's the one I made for the 43. I've since made a further mod by bending the small hook that catches the edge of the pocket on draw outward a little - helps to insure a solid grab on draw.
View attachment 394227 View attachment 394228

I like it! KYDEX is lightweight, sweat-proof, and molds/forms well. I am enjoying experimenting it. I plan to make one for a little 25 Auto that I have. It is is a little under-powered, so it would only be carried as a backup when wearing light clothing. Or maybe another new pistol could be in my future :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
T
I have a similar design pocket holster for my G42, it is made by Boraii.

The Boraii comes flat, but I took a tip from -JCN- and used a heat gun to curve it slightly, just like you did with yours. It rides very flat and works really well.

At the end of the day, I still use my Kydex Alabama most often, it just seems to work better for me in the widest array of pants I wear.

Good work.

Thanks! This was an experiment to try to give me a second option to carry, other than my IWB holsters. I admit the G27 is not the most practical pocket holster pistol.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
T

Thanks! This was an experiment to try to give me a second option to carry, other than my IWB holsters. I admit the G27 is not the most practical pocket holster pistol.
I agree on the "pocketability" of the G27, at least for me and the pants I wear, probably not going to happen. Heck, I can;t even make my G43 work in that roll. It is all G42 and smaller in the pocket. But some days, pocket is all that works.

I did have a guy call me nuts because I said I couldn't pocket carry my G29, so I do think these things are kind of individual. ;)

If I were a better fabricator, I would probably experiment as you have, but I know my limitations.. :)

Anyway, great work, again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.