How do you keep the ticks off in the first place?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by redskyzatknight, May 5, 2003.

1. redskyzatknight

redskyzatknight Glock S&W Kahr

I was in the woods the other day for about five hours and I ended up having to pull five ticks out of me the next day. One had a white dot on it's back which I heard is not a good thing. Anyway, whats the trick to keep them not want to leech on in the first place? anything like mothballs, vicks or any home remedy they don't like? would regular mosquito spray work?

2. Penman

Penman Goauche User

Don't know of the effects on your body, but I know of people who go into the back country during tick season and wear flea and tick collars around their necks.

3. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

I would if the collars would work. A few days ago I pulled a tick off of my dog's neck right under his flew and tick collar!

4. Jon Christopher

Jon Christopher

I live in the midwest, and hike often. About ticks: they all feed exclusively on the blood of vertebrates. They climb up on an object, such as tall grass, weeds, fences, shrubs, and wait for a suitable host. When they detect vibrations and chemical cues, such as odors or exhaled carbon dioxide, they fall from the perch and attatch to a suitable host (YOU!). They also detect shadows of a passing host. Diseases: Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Lyme disease, typhus and many others. I won't go into how to remove them; I'm no doctor.

Try to avoid grassy/weedy areas. Don't sit down on grass, logs, etc. Go to your favorite Mart and buy some repellent. I try to do most of my hiking after the first frost, through winter and early spring, to avoid insects and snakes. Once things start looking weedy, I stick to the major weed free trails. Remember your not picking these up from a dirt trail, and they are not jumping down from trees. You are brushing up against tall grass, limbs, weeds, etc. Wear light colored clothing, so you can see them, and check yourself after a walk in the brush. If you have young children, you need to be really sure to check them because they can't. If you pulled five ticks off yourself the next day, it might be a good idea to check yourself!

Where to check? Everywhere. Armpits, your waist line, hair, and other areas I won't mention, but I think you get the drift. When you remove clothing, shoes, hats and etc., remember they might be in them still.

5. JLB

JLB WWJLBD?

Gasoline gets them off. Take a q-tip soaked in gas, and swab the tick. He will retract his head, and you can yank him then.

6. MarksGlock22

MarksGlock22 The Punisher

Yep, just douse yourself, and strike a match. No more ticks. Or skin for that matter. ;f ;a

7. BrianDamage

BrianDamage YouTalkin'ToMe?

I've had good luck with the "off"-type sprays (I think they contain DEET?)

also instaed of gas to get one off, put a dab of clear nail polish on the tick and he'll back right out.

nail polish also works well for chiggers.

8. noway

noway

I've follow this thread for a few days and find it amazing to the information posted.

(imho) You're best remedy for removing a tick is with an approved tick lifter. These devices cost less than 10 dollars and will remove a tick without breaking it/splitting the body or interrupting the tick so that you mimize the chance of contamination.

Best advice I can think about on avoiding a tick encounter is to avoid areas where they live in. Wearing of light colored clothes do help in locating them if they should get on you. Bathing and checking one's self after going in the woods and a good tick spray ( i prefer a lotion and a spray for the outter clothes that contains DEET ).

good luck

9. Marty_G19

Marty_G19

For removal you can also use Vaseline. Spread it over the tick and wait awhile, then wipe off the vaseline and the tick. Like the nail polish solution above, they back out, apparently trying to breath.

As a 3 season hunter, bow, muzzleloader, and rifle, Permanone is the best product I've used, and yes it has DEET in it. Tucking pants inside socks and then spraying with the Permanone helps a lot.

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I rarely ever ditto anything, but Noway is correct about the "DEET," and the tick lifter. 100% deet, will do it. Used it for years.

As for the flea collar thing, that was totally 'Hi-Larious.' :)
    If you go this route... wear your dog tags and get your rabies vac. :)

CanyonMan

11. redskyzatknight

Good ideas, thanks all! I'll go ahead and use DEET. I did'nt want to use poison but it's better than pulling ticks from some of the places I found them. I also had my three dogs with me. Since they are on advantage for fleas and ticks, I may have gotten more than my fair share thanks to my little friends.

12. 357glocker

357glocker

I heard of a guy who takes one Vitamin B tablet dialy from April 1st through October 31. It supposedly has scent that ticks AND mosquitos don't like. Guess bananas have an oil in them that really attracts them suckers. I got this info on an email on how to avoid tick and mosquitos.

13. noway

noway

I heard the same thing but with drinking a glass of vinegar a day will keep mosquitos off you. I tried it once and it half-way seemed to work but I hate the taste of vinegar.

I can't go outside for 2 minutes late in the evening with out a mosquito getting me. My dad can stay outside all night and never get bitten.

14. redskyzatknight

I heard well water (egg water) keeps mosquitos off also. If you can stand the taste, it can't hurt.

15. Jon Christopher

Jon Christopher

"I heard the same thing but with drinking a glass of vinegar a day will keep mosquitos off you"

Well, a better approach would be to uncork a fifth of Jack Daniel's. It will taste better, and after a while, you'll find them entertaining.

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

redskyzatknight,

Back to the 100% DEET. You can sometimes get it at an army surplus.
    Sometimes a wally-world will have it. If you live in a city, a local camping/hiking type store will sometimes carry it.. just some thoughts.

Don't think of it as "poison," as though you were going to take a bath in the stuff. If you can,(and your not hunting), and as NOWAY said, you can wear lighter color clothes, do that, and place the deet on your clothes around the collar, and beltline, and pant cuffs, even a dab or two on your cap. This stuff really will work. if you do not wear a long sleeve shirt or pant, do the above, and then use a spray with deet in it on the exposed part of the skin, and the 100% stuf everywhere else.

I tell ya, it works. I started using the 100% deet, years ago, when bow hunting in a ticky area. Don't remember ever gettin one on me.

Do a search on yahoo or something for 100% deet. you will probably find it pretty easy. It never made me sick, or caused any problems. Just don't put it on your skin like after shave!

Later.

CanyonMan

17. Tvov

Tvov

Somewhat related... We tried advantage for our pets, it didn't seem to work so well. We switched to Frontline, and it works GREAT. Our pets haven't had fleas or ticks for years.

For us humans, we use bug repellants with DEET. I've found that for some reason "Cutter's" brand seems to work well. I usually try to get the strong stuff (at least that is readily available in local stores), which is about 25% DEET.

To get ticks off, I've always used the "pinch with the thumb and forefinger" method. It works for me, doesn't leave the head in and I've never had any infection. It just must be the way I do it, or something.

Watch out for the "bullseye" rash and other indicators of Lyme disease. These days, if you catch it early it's not that big a deal.

18. noway

noway

{We tried advantage for our pets, it didn't seem to work so well. We switched to Frontline, and it works GREAT. Our pets haven't had fleas or ticks for years.}

One of my friend cousin works for the humane society. Frontline was the number #1 flea tick treatment that had great results. My friend dad's pom-pom always ended up with ticks until we gotten her on frontline. Since she is of fawn color it was easy to spot them.

She hasn't had a tick on her in about 1.5 year and counting.

19. BrianDamage

BrianDamage YouTalkin'ToMe?

hmmm..I take a B6 tab every day...maybe that's why during hunting season (when I don't wear anyhthin with a scent to it-including bug spray), I have yet to have had a tick on me for the past 3 years.

Of course the mosquitos still eat me up

20. 357glocker

357glocker

I'm thinking the email said a B1 tablet of 100mg's but I'm no pharmacist by any means so to me they could all be the same! They both have B's. To bad about the mosquito's though, the same email said to use bounce sheets and rub them on your skin? Heck it'd be worth a shot around here this summer.