close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how do you hunt deer?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by shrpshtr, Jul 9, 2004.

1. shrpshtr

shrpshtr

hey all, i started thinking about something the other night as i was watching the Outdoor Channel. i have been hunting whitetails now for probably 10 or 12 years. i have always hunted them pretty much the same way. scout, and setup in a stand/climber with either a bow, rifle, or shotgun. i have done the occasional ground blind and dog drive as well. i prefer still hunting more than anything though were the actual "hunting" part of it is done without a weapon and out of season.

so how do you do it?

2. Squid.HM2

Squid.HM2

any way i can, bow,rifle,shotgun,muzzle loader.this way i can harvest as many as possible..i like to eat

3. ReAX222

ReAX222

Good people, Beer, CB's, 4 wheel drives, dogs, and some times a weapon. Then If I want meat, I'll slip out at 5am and sit in a blind until 7:30 when bambi's moma comes out to eat alittle corn.

I fish about the same way, execpt I don't like to eat fish.

4. Jack T.

Jack T.

Heck, if they had a season for slingshots and sharp, pointy sticks, I'd hunt them that way also.

5. WillWorkForAmmo

WillWorkForAmmo Slim...

Cinder block.

6. shrpshtr

shrpshtr

thanks for the replies so far. more of what i was looking for is method, not means. in other words, if you stalk, how so? or if you stand hunt, what is your strategy? or ground hunt, how do you setup or move improve success.

what i am finding, especially with the whitetail, is that FEW people stalk them with any success at all. i have had some success in the past hunting them from the ground using blinds, but not very much. i wonder if people hunt whitetails like they do mule deer, antelope, big horn sheep, caribou, or elk out west. if there are those that hunt whitetail in this way, how do you have any success?

as elusive as whitetail deer are, can they be hunted from the ground successfully?

7. TexAg

TexAg

First, we hunt about an hour and a half southwest of Fort Worth, brushy country, lots of Mesquite, cedar, some live oak groves. Its mildly hilly. West of I-35 there isnt such a thing as "tree stands" and thats where we've always hunted. The area we hunt in now is also a "one buck county" this means each license holder can only shoot one buck in that county and generally it also means there is not a big white tail population in that area..thus the reason for the limit.

Last year my Dad and my brother were walking an area where about the farthest you could see between bushes and trees was 100 yards, but if you moved a few feet new lanes would open and others would close as brush obscured your vision. I think they were walking about 10 yards apart so that they could see different lanes. It was misting heavily and it was about 2pm. My brother whispered to my Dad when he saw a "a branch move" and they closed up behind a mesquite and took a look through the scope and saw a big buck laying down, scratching himself with his rack. Its was big enough that my brother rested the .30-06 on my Dad's shoulder and took him with one shot. Deer never knew what hit him. Nice big, old buck, probably 5 or 6 years old with an a-typical 9 point rack.

So my point is, you can definitely hunt them on the ground. I actually called one up last year using a grunt and rattle for the first time, but I was up in a tripod stand. I have shot at least one dear though stalking them...saw it from way off, moved behind her, sun at our back, wind in our face.

8. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

I hunt them by just about any means. My preferred way is setting up a drive, if you know the area this is one of the best ways. When I hunt big timber I sit in stands on well used trails.

But, when a fresh snow falls and I'm all by myself (My hunting companions usually peter out the first week) I LOVE a good stalk. I go into areas that I hunt where I know the deer are and stalk until I cut a fresh track. After that, it's just slow stalking. Take 3 steps , stop , look around , take 3 more steps and so on and so forth.

Last year the hunting was slow and I ended up taking my first deer of the season this way.Just a small doe but it took me about an hour and a half to walk one and a half miles, stalking her, so the hunt was the best part!;f

9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

'Still hunting is my favorite,' when i can, just very slowly making my way through the canyons/mesquite/cactus. The 'reason' i described this, (still hunting), is we have 'guided' so many people over the years, that think a 'quick walk through the woods', will bring them a harvest. I know of a couple of guys like that, they are friends.

Man one hunted for almost 13 years, and "never even saw a buck"! But anytime you 'saw him', he was 'hot-footin it' through the woods. I tell ya, that boy could cover a whole mountain in a day! This is 'not' the idea behind 'still hunting.' But rather, a very slow, almost going nowhere pace, and doing 'more looking', and 'waiting', than walking.

The other guy, he could not sit still for a second, always scratching, and messin around with stuff, and making noise.. this guy, borrowed one of my guns one day, and ask if he could go out behind our ranch house a ways to deer hunt. He had only done it a time or two he said. So, i gave him a 444 marlin, and told him where to sit by the hay barn, there had been a 'huge buck' coming around there, with some does, almost at the same time 'every morning'. Well, i saw this guy the next day, and ask him if he got the buck. He said, "Nope, But that gun of yours sure is sighted in good!"

I replied, "what do you mean, didn't you even see him?"
    He said, "Nope!"

I said.."Man i can't believe that. But again, what do you mean about the gun being sighted in good?"

He said.."Well just as the sun was 'coming up', i fired one off at an old can, and really busted it!"

The question on this post was..."How do you hunt!?"

I hope it ain't like these boys! :)

For grins!

CanyonMan

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

ReAX222,

Excuse me.

Man do you know these two guys i mentioed in the post above this one?

"WHEW."

CanyonMan

11. ReAX222

ReAX222

I know the one who blew up the can. I had to check my rifle last year after I missed a 200yard shot. I hit a coke can at 50, and later found I did hit the buck, he just did not bleed quickly (read poor free hand shot).

That day I was sitting on my cooler in the back of my truck about noontime. I remember the time becuase I had my lunch in my hand when I saw the 4pointer just my side of the tree line. If you know where to look, you can walk all over whitetail. I've killed several while walking our camp.

12. vart

vart

I grew up in Idaho, where deer hunting means still hunting, or sitting in a tree stand with a bow.
    I moved out here to Iowa in January, and I've gotten permission to hunt a few choice timber areas specifically because I refuse to participate in deer drives.
    A bunch of rednecks drinking beer and chasing deer through a corn field with shotguns is not hunting.
    I will harvest a deer this Fall with my .54 cal. muzzleloader, or a 55# Fred Bear recurve;) .

13. lomfs24

lomfs24

I hunt deer at 70 miles and hour with the headlights on and the horn blowing. I feel the same way Ron White does. If you could effectively slow a bullet down to 60 mph and put headlights on it, deer would line up to jump in front of it.

Seriously, though. I have never put a large amount of thought in to deer hunting. I alway viewed it more as a harvest than a hunt. If you couldn't back up to it with a pickup it probably didn't need shot. If you really wanted to go all out and really go deer hunting you would go climb up on a hay stack a few hours before dark and wait. The first ones out would be does. You fill your doe tag first. All the deer scatter. You wait another half hour and the field would be filled with deer again.

Then the big daddies would be out just before dark.

One year here, you could get two doe tag plus a buck tag. We used the above described method and ended up with 8 deer between three of us in a single afternoon. It was more of a harvest than a hunt.

14. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Here's how I bowhunt deer. In early gun season it can be pretty much the same, just substitute a .44 mag open sight revolver for the bow:

I've got 3 stands, a favorite hill side place to sit, and a couple other favorite wooded spots to sit. For the morning I decided to go to the ladder stand I had set up in a nice spot a few weeks ago, with a buck rub near.

Yup, face to the wind, got there before sunrise. Sat as still as I could, just moving my eyes, and ever so slowly turning my head to get about 180 degree of good vision. If anything was behind me, I generally didn't turn to look. If it was a deer, it had probably smelled me and was looking for me to move to confirm suspicion. If it came around to the front then I'd have a chance for a shot. So, no need to turn my body and look behind.

Doe came from the front, within 20 yards, walked past and then around behind me, obviously smelled me then. Kept stamping her feet to get me to move and look. But I don't play that game sister. My goodness, she kept it up for at least 15 minutes. Then she walked up on the stone fence under my tree, and I could hear the stones moving, then she walked away, I finally turned to watch her walking away.

30 minutes later a button buck followed generally the same path, then circled around directly in front of me as he passed under the stand. Maybe 15 feet away and right in front of me, with him looking up at me every so often. Could see a line of what appeared ruffed fur on his back that was actually left over spots filled in with the winter coat. He turned away, and I was never intent on taking him anyway.

In the afternoon, sat on a hill side, looking into the wind. Darned doe walked up downwind of me. She smelled me but could not find me. She didn't seem too alerted, and I didn't think she was going to come in front, so I slowly turned to take a look. She looked at me, but didn't see me. She was nice broadside within 20 yards, but leary. She was good size and I made a move on her and played the game of bringing up my bow when her head was behind a tree. I had to get my whole body pivoted around to face her without making any noise, and without her seeing me. But I think my heart was pounding too loud. And when she passed the tree she looked back at me, now holding that bow up and facing her. Not drawn yet. But the bow was starting to shake a bit as she stared me down on and off for about 10 minutes. Jeepers, just run off if you're going to, I thought. Waited for her to move just to the next tree so I could get a chance to draw when her head was behind it. Come, on, just another step... but it never happened. She started to twitch her tail and walk off.

Heading back as it was getting near sundown, I was exiting the woods by walking through a bit of swamp area next to my woods, walking quiet so as to not spook the deer out feeding in the field, but not trying to get them, I get to the grass path along the outside of my pasture fence, and guess who starts walking out from the woods? It's Mr 4 point that I've been watching every day for the past couple months with the binoculars. He walks out, sees me and says "D'oh!". I had heard him and had my bow raised but not drawn (in retrospect I should have had it drawn). He was maybe 10 to 15 yards away. Again, we're playing that old familar game. He's looking at me but can't see me or hear me. My bow's starting to shake after 5 or more minutes. Stomping his feet, not sure, still looking at me. Finally he decides to turn around and go back in the woods. I hear him and where he's going. I don't move. He's not running off or anything. He gets no sound from me, so he decides to come back out in a different spot just the other side of me. Again, I'm ready for him with my bow up (but not drawn, should have had it drawn). He starts to come out in the other spot and then looks at me again as if to say (Oh crap, you're still here?!). He goes back in the woods again. Getting dark. I hear him, but guess nothing I can do about it, he'll come out somewhere else but it is now past sundown. So I just walk the rest of the way home.

Oh, well, another day.